Tonights stopover in Dumfries & Galloway (1 Viewer)

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Beautiful little stopover for tonight on banks of River Nith, honesty box for overnighting donations. Arrived just as the sun dipped behind Criffel (Broken Link Removed) :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Attachments

• IMG_9297w.jpg
    IMG_9297w.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_9300w.jpg
    IMG_9300w.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_9301w.jpg
    IMG_9301w.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_9303w.jpg
    IMG_9303w.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 140

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Looks lovely Stewart and I've heard the locals are really nice folk :ROFLMAO:

I have actually just drove past the Nith hotel and never noticed you there or I'd have popped in for a cuppa

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Nice one Gerry many thanks. Not sure of tomorrows plans need to top up with lpg (the BP garage in Dumfries is cheap) then maybe RSPB Mersehead for some birding or maybe onto a lovely little Cl we use near New Galloway for a couple of nights, no definate plan we've our 21 month old grand-daughter with us so just chilling. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Great looking place to stay, I am going to share a secret that only a few people have heard about from me at least. There is an amazing CC CL listed under Gatehouse of Fleet, Mrs Hamilton, on LHS of A75 going towards Stranraer about 4 miles past G of F, Now has water and toilet empty (not easy for black tanks). But is right on a beach. high tides have washed our wheels, empty this time of year and under £10

I want my ashes spreading there it is so beautiful and quiet and dark at night

I will try yours next week

Thanks again :thumb:

David

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Thanks for the recommendations Gerry and Stewart J, the photos are beautiful:thumb:

We spent Saturday night at Landis Farm CL just outside New Abbey, super little site and Colin the owner was so welcoming. It will be a great place to stay in the summer. But we couldn't get any tv signal sadly, so we had to spend the night talking to each other:RollEyes:
The next time we're back in Dumfries we will give one of these sites a try:thumb:
http://http://www.landisfarm.co.uk/location.html

Bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Nice one Gerry many thanks. Not sure of tomorrows plans need to top up with lpg (the BP garage in Dumfries is cheap) then maybe RSPB Mersehead for some birding or maybe onto a lovely little Cl we use near New Galloway for a couple of nights, no definate plan we've our 21 month old grand-daughter with us so just chilling. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Stewart you will definitely be chilling tonight as its freezing :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Have a nice trip and enjoy our beautiful area as I know you. Do often.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Thanks for the recommendations Gerry and Stewart J, the photos are beautiful:thumb:

We spent Saturday night at Landis Farm CL just outside New Abbey, super little site and Colin the owner was so welcoming. It will be a great place to stay in the summer. But we couldn't get any tv signal sadly, so we had to spend the night talking to each other:RollEyes:
The next time we're back in Dumfries we will give one of these sites a try:thumb:
http://http://www.landisfarm.co.uk/location.html

Bill
Bill the one in Stewart's pictures isn't actually a site its the old quay in Glencaple where they allow overnighting and have stuck an honesty box for a small donation, and if you can't get TV the pubs about 10 yards away. They also have a cafe and village shop just where you see the tables and chairs.

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Great looking place to stay, I am going to share a secret that only a few people have heard about from me at least. There is an amazing CC CL listed under Gatehouse of Fleet, Mrs Hamilton, on LHS of A75 going towards Stranraer about 4 miles past G of F, Now has water and toilet empty (not easy for black tanks). But is right on a beach. high tides have washed our wheels, empty this time of year and under £10

I want my ashes spreading there it is so beautiful and quiet and dark at night

I will try yours next week

Thanks again :thumb:

David

Yes, we know that one, it's only 5 minutes from us here. Her son Robert usually gives me a wave from his tractor on the way past our house:thumb::roflmto:
We have another CL right up behind us, Drummuckloch Farm, but wouldn't recommend it just now, they're having building works done at the farm and it's been ongoing for about 6 months now.

Margaret

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Bill the one in Stewart's pictures isn't actually a site its the old quay in Glencaple where they allow overnighting and have stuck an honesty box for a small donation, and if you can't get TV the pubs about 10 yards away. They also have a cafe and village shop just where you see the tables and chairs.

Hi Gerry, I thought it looked like Kingholm Quay direction, but do like the sound of the site at Caerlaverock.........we needed to spend Friday night close to Dumfries and then came home on Saturday. Great CL at Landis Farm, but tv reception poor and it poured it down on Saturday:Blush:
Bill

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Yes, we know that one, it's only 5 minutes from us here. Her son Robert usually gives me a wave from his tractor on the way past our house:thumb::roflmto:
We have another CL right up behind us, Drummuckloch Farm, but wouldn't recommend it just now, they're having building works done at the farm and it's been ongoing for about 6 months now.

Margaret

We are up there next week, I will pass your regards to Robert, how is Mrs H, I dread phoning each year.

I hope I have not told too many about our little secret, we like the place virtually to ourselves at this time of year

David

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Looks a great spot Stewart,:thumb: been on my list to do for a while.

I believe the hotel is just a few yards away.

Does anyone know if there is any fish to be had in the river?

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Gerry, I thought it looked like Kingholm Quay direction, but do like the sound of the site at Caerlaverock.........we needed to spend Friday night close to Dumfries and then came home on Saturday. Great CL at Landis Farm, but tv reception poor and it poured it down on Saturday:Blush:
Bill

Your not far away with Kingholm, if you don't need hook up the Glencaple stopover is ideal as there is a bus stop and small toilet block at the entrance and as I mentioned a pub or should I say hotel as in the Nith hotel who do lovely meals. The one at Caerlaverock will be on the bur route also just not as many busses per day as Glencaple and a bit far to walk home from the pub:ROFLMAO:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Looks a great spot Stewart,:thumb: been on my list to do for a while.

I believe the hotel is just a few yards away.

Does anyone know if there is any fish to be had in the river?

Hi Callum
I'm not a fisherman but my dads is and he fishes here often I think they class this part as sea fishing but I'm sure further up the Nith you get both trout and salmon, You can buy a daily ticket normally for the Nith from a few local shops or you can fish free from the pier at Glencaple where Stewart is parked up. Here is a link about fishing
http://www.caerlaverockestate.co.uk/estate-fishing.php

If you decide to come up and need any info on permits feel free to ask as I only live 4 miles from this place and have a few friends that fish.

This link may help also

http://www.rivernithfishings.co.uk/

Last edited:
OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Stewart you will definitely be chilling tonight as its freezing :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Have a nice trip and enjoy our beautiful area as I know you. Do often.

Its become quite foggy Gerry, not a breath of wind and so peaceful :thumb:

SWIMBO informs me if we do Mersehead tomorrow it'll be wilding in Sweetheart Abbey car park tomorrow night. ::bigsmile:

For those thinking of visiting Scotland, it dosen't start North of Glasgow or Edinburgh, D & G is one of the many jewels in the Scottish crown with the advantage of scenery and history to die for and its not crowded :beer: cos everyone else is further North. :winky:

Should you fancy visiting this area and you won't be disapointed, be it, scenery, wildlife, tranquility birds or even dark skies ask away Gerry or I and others will be more than willing to assist and advise.

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Your not far away with Kingholm, if you don't need hook up the Glencaple stopover is ideal as there is a bus stop and small toilet block at the entrance and as I mentioned a pub or should I say hotel as in the Nith hotel who do lovely meals. The one at Caerlaverock will be on the bur route also just not as many busses per day as Glencaple and a bit far to walk home from the pub:ROFLMAO:

Hi Gerry, Caerlaverock sounds good, we wanted to get the bus into Dumfries from New Abbey, but given the heavy rain that day we ended up just staying the one night at Landis Farm. The bus service from New Abbey is a bit iffy. We parked the van at Homebase on Saturday, but the last time we parked there a couple of neds kicked a football off the side of the van when we were having a cuppa. We nearly had heart failure, we went out after them and they walked off towards KFC saying "it wisnae me, it wis him"!!........grrr!:Angry:
Bill

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
We are up there next week, I will pass your regards to Robert, how is Mrs H, I dread phoning each year.

I hope I have not told too many about our little secret, we like the place virtually to ourselves at this time of year

David

Hi David, I haven't seen Mrs H for over 10 years, I know she was quite elderly then, so couldn't say how she is. Your secret is safe with me, most people will fly past it without knowing:thumb: I think there might be some fishing in the small lake near the farm, but not too sure.
Robert will know me as the person who lives in "Windyhaugh", the first white house up the Skyreburn road::bigsmile:

Margaret

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi and Thanks for this post very informant , as we are planning to visit that area next year not sure at present what time of year,
thanks to Stewart J, Gerryhughes, MHVirgins (bill & Margaret) for the info.
Might see some of you next year.
:rain: Ann & Terry:rain:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Hi and Thanks for this post very informant , as we are planning to visit that area next year not sure at present what time of year,
thanks to Stewart J, Gerryhughes, MHVirgins (bill & Margaret) for the info.
Might see some of you next year.
:rain: Ann & Terry:rain:

Terry, if you don't promise to come and see us next year, we'll stop you at "border control":roflmto:
Can I take it by the umbrellas on your post that it is actually raining down there:RollEyes: you won't be surprised to hear that there was no storm in Denmead last week either:RollEyes:

Margaret:roflmto:

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi Margaret, Yep, was raining when I posted last, now dry but overcast , rain forecast early hours of tomorrow. yes we had the same storm last week. We will certainly try to pop in next year!!
:rain::sin: Terry:rain::sin:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Hi Margaret, Yep, was raining when I posted last, now dry but overcast , rain forecast early hours of tomorrow. yes we had the same storm last week. We will certainly try to pop in next year!!
:rain::sin: Terry:rain::sin:

Hi Terry, I've just been talking to a customer of mine down near you, she lives in Wroxhall!!:thumb:
Fingers crossed we will meet up with you next year, bring up some of that super "Denmead weather" with you......:roflmto::winky:

Margaret

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Didn't stray far today so back at Glencaple for the night, changeable weather this afternoon, wonderfully atmospheric to have several thousand Barnacle Geese pass over us, the noise was wonderful. :thumb:

Attachments

• IMG_9315w.jpg
    IMG_9315w.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_9338w.jpg
    IMG_9338w.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_9348w.jpg
    IMG_9348w.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_9352w.jpg
    IMG_9352w.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 34

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Really good thread, I am trying to work out how I can keep it on record so I can refer to it next year, any ideas. :Smile:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Just pm me carol when your thinking of coming and I will give you all the details

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Just pm me carol when your thinking of coming and I will give you all the details

And if its birds/ natural history pm me along with Gerry. :thumb:

For anyone visiting Glencaple over the winter the tearoom will be shut Mondays and Tuesdays the shop will be open as normal from 7am till 5.30pm weekdays, and till 4.30 weekends. ::bigsmile:

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Really good thread, I am trying to work out how I can keep it on record so I can refer to it next year, any ideas. :Smile:
I was thinking the same, so I've bookmarked the first page in my Campsites folder & tagged it with 'Camp' & 'Scotland'.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
I was thinking the same, so I've bookmarked the first page in my Campsites folder & tagged it with 'Camp' & 'Scotland'.

Obviously, of course you would.

( How the hell do you do any of that? )

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
( How the hell do you do any of that? )
Or, more to the point, how would you do it? And the short answer is, I don't know. I'm guessing that you use Microsoft's Internet Explorer as your browser. I haven't used that in years, so any knowledge I had is now way out of date.

I know that what I refer to as bookmarks are called Favourites in IE. Does the latest version allow you to add Tags to Favourites?

If I get a chance, I'll run up a more or less current copy & have a look, but I don't think I have the latest version. I'm sure someone else who does use it will chip in with instructions though.

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
I'm on an iPad, I screen capture, (takes a photo of the page, thread whatever) then I place in a titled picture folder.... Simples....:BigGrin

John and Kim

Free Member
May 4, 2015
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Van
Exp
There's also a cracken little example of an Aires style stop over at castle corner for those wanting peace and quite has a service point for passing motor home cracking little spot for some privacy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back