Tolls Uk And Germany ?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Cobweb, May 16, 2015.

1. Cobweb

Cobweb

We paid for Dartford crossing online for 2 crossings going as well as coming back valid for 12 months . As we crossed we noticed that there were still tollbooths as well as barriers on the tunnel side ....and wondered what was going on . Just a few hours ago we passed to Germany from Luxemburg and saw a sign on the autobahn about tolls . We were coming off the motorway anyway to a Stellplats near Trier so did not see anymore signs . I thought that the tolls were to be introduced in 2016 for the autobahns . Does anyone know different ?

2. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

Can't help with Germany but the booths and barriers Northbound at Dartford are still there because they haven't removed them yet. No other reason. You still pay online.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Thought Germany was bringing in Swiss style vigenette system (but far more expensive) in next year or two?

Will make going via Germany to get to Austria and on to Italy prohibitive!

4. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

Talking to some Germans in Austria a few days ago not happy about the forthcoming introduction of tolls.
    Uk road tax is cheap compared to tolls or Gobox.

5. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Ah, another country making it's motorists into cash cows then.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Never use toll roads in France but trying to get across Germany without using the Autobhans could be painfully slow.

• Like Like x 2
  7. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

With regards to the Dartford crossing, they say that the barriers on the North bound side (heading into the tunnels) will stay in order to regulate the speed of the traffic entering the tunnels and giving them the ability to immediately stop the traffic if an accident occurs in one of the tunnels.

• Like Like x 1
  8. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

That makes sense.

9. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

We didn't pay any tolls anywhere in Germany last month. Consequently their roads are in a similar state of repair to ours. They currently have the Umwelt congestion charge for some cities, which is a one-off payment of £12.50 for foreign-registered vehicles (£20 if you pay by debit card on their UK phone number).

Probably because we don't pay a road tax as such. The proceeds from Vehicle Excise Duty aren't earmarked for roads - if they were we might well pay more.

10. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

If they actually spent it on the roads they might be drivable !

11. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

You have been ripped off, the standard charge is €5 you can get them from any car main dealer or TUV office, if you want to order one by post the Berlin office charges €6 & you can pay by CC no extra charge.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

Quite possibly, and useful info for others there. I ordered it by post from TUV-Nord and their standard charge for non-German registered vehicles is 12.50 Euros (not pounds as I said earlier, my mistake) if I paid by cheque or international money order. As my bank charges £25 for international money orders I opted to pay £20 (so-called admin fees) for the phone/debit card option, which effectively doubled its price.

My German is non-existent and we didn't have the time or opportunity to start looking for TUV offices and car dealerships while we there, as we were camped outside the centres of the places we visited.

• Like Like x 1
  13. SomeoneElse

SomeoneElse Funster

14. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

Erm... is it possible that the 6 Euro sticker bought from Berlin only covers you for Berlin?

To the best of my knowledge the one I got from TUV-Nord covers you for everywhere.

15. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

No it is the Green sticker valid for the whole of Germany, the Berlin office is very helpful got ours their as we didn't no when we would be next in Germany, I managed to wreck it putting it on, they sent me another one FOC.

16. chopper602

chopper602 Funster

The tolls signs you saw on the Autobahn are for commercial vehicles only, so don't worry ! :D