Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
We paid for Dartford crossing online for 2 crossings going as well as coming back valid for 12 months . As we crossed we noticed that there were still tollbooths as well as barriers on the tunnel side ....and wondered what was going on . Just a few hours ago we passed to Germany from Luxemburg and saw a sign on the autobahn about tolls . We were coming off the motorway anyway to a Stellplats near Trier so did not see anymore signs . I thought that the tolls were to be introduced in 2016 for the autobahns . Does anyone know different ?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Can't help with Germany but the booths and barriers Northbound at Dartford are still there because they haven't removed them yet. No other reason. You still pay online.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Thought Germany was bringing in Swiss style vigenette system (but far more expensive) in next year or two?

Will make going via Germany to get to Austria and on to Italy prohibitive!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Talking to some Germans in Austria a few days ago not happy about the forthcoming introduction of tolls.
Uk road tax is cheap compared to tolls or Gobox.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
With regards to the Dartford crossing, they say that the barriers on the North bound side (heading into the tunnels) will stay in order to regulate the speed of the traffic entering the tunnels and giving them the ability to immediately stop the traffic if an accident occurs in one of the tunnels.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
With regards to the Dartford crossing, they say that the barriers on the North bound side (heading into the tunnels) will stay in order to regulate the speed of the traffic entering the tunnels and giving them the ability to immediately stop the traffic if an accident occurs in one of the tunnels.

That makes sense.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
We didn't pay any tolls anywhere in Germany last month. Consequently their roads are in a similar state of repair to ours. They currently have the Umwelt congestion charge for some cities, which is a one-off payment of £12.50 for foreign-registered vehicles (£20 if you pay by debit card on their UK phone number).

Uk road tax is cheap compared to tolls or Gobox.

Probably because we don't pay a road tax as such. The proceeds from Vehicle Excise Duty aren't earmarked for roads - if they were we might well pay more.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
currently have the Umwelt congestion charge for some cities, which is a one-off payment of £12.50 for foreign-registered vehicles (£20 if you pay by debit card on their UK phone number).
You have been ripped off, the standard charge is €5 you can get them from any car main dealer or TUV office, if you want to order one by post the Berlin office charges €6 & you can pay by CC no extra charge.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
You have been ripped off, the standard charge is €5 you can get them from any car main dealer or TUV office, if you want to order one by post the Berlin office charges €6 & you can pay by CC no extra charge.

Quite possibly, and useful info for others there. I ordered it by post from TUV-Nord and their standard charge for non-German registered vehicles is 12.50 Euros (not pounds as I said earlier, my mistake) if I paid by cheque or international money order. As my bank charges £25 for international money orders I opted to pay £20 (so-called admin fees) for the phone/debit card option, which effectively doubled its price.

My German is non-existent and we didn't have the time or opportunity to start looking for TUV offices and car dealerships while we there, as we were camped outside the centres of the places we visited.

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Erm... is it possible that the 6 Euro sticker bought from Berlin only covers you for Berlin?

To the best of my knowledge the one I got from TUV-Nord covers you for everywhere.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Erm... is it possible that the 6 Euro sticker bought from Berlin only covers you for Berlin?

To the best of my knowledge the one I got from TUV-Nord covers you for everywhere.
No it is the Green sticker valid for the whole of Germany, the Berlin office is very helpful got ours their as we didn't no when we would be next in Germany, I managed to wreck it putting it on, they sent me another one FOC.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back