Toilet advice

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Toyclean, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Toyclean

Toyclean Read Only Funster

Hi all. I've just bought a 1995 CI Sirio and it doesn't have a cassette toilet. Underneath there's a lever to pull and it'll al drop out. Yuk!

So, what are these toilets called? And is there a purpose made tank to catch the waste so I can take it away and dispose of it? Of so, I'd appreciate a pointer.

I'm guessing that not all sites will have toilet waste disposal drainage points in the ground. But then again I've never looked as I had porta potti in my campervan.

Grateful for advice.

Thanks.

Michael

2. icantremember

icantremember Funster

NO.....just keep the locker door closed when it's in use and when full you may just need a shovel :Eeek:

3. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

This one was for sale and it states that it has a cassette toilet..

http://www.kentmotorhomes.co.uk/vehicle/377/1995-Fiat-CI_Sirio

4. Toyclean

Ha, I was opening myself up to poo gags!

Yeah, the other one for sale was exactly the same. Perhaps a tank is meant to be slotted underneath but I didn't see any fixing s for one. No bloody manual either to check but that's a different challenge.

5. John & Joan

John & Joan Funster

In this Motor Caravan unfriendly country you will only find dump facilities in some club sites.

In France and Italy on our recent trip there were "Camper Dump Point" signed from the Autoroutes/Autostrada all along the Med coast. These are drive over dump points in the service areas. They are also used by the long distance coaches with toilets onboard. Just pull the handle, Dump and swill away any residue.

In this country you need a container to catch the tank contents and then wheel/carry it away to a point convieniently located for tuggers.

The type of toilet you have is termed a ships toilet. Large RV have this type of holding tank and they have macerator pumps to evacuate the tank contents through a pipe. That is why Bournes at Aires have electric points that give 10 minutes or so of electric to assist with this pumping.

John

6. Hayleylulu

Hayleylulu

do what most of them do dump as you drive:Rofl1::Rofl1:

7. Toyclean

Great, getting there now, ships our marine toilet it is. Any ideas on a suitable container for the UK? Just a bucket with a lid? The diameter of the disposal shoot looks a bit wide for the wheeled waste containers I've seen, unless anyone can suggest otherwise.

8. flatpackchicken

flatpackchicken Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  9. Dodgey

Dodgey Funster

We've (now) got the 35xl and it's great but no good for touring it's HUGE:Eeek:

Frankley we find it rare we can't dump but for those moments we have a Fiamma roll tank, as long as you stop the flow when the bobble pops up it's easy to lift so can be tipped down you average 'elsan' point, obviously if there is a manhole nearby easier still.

Fiamma do a connecting hose, which is rather pricey, but it gives a secure fitting to the tank so it's just a case of sorting a suitable fitting for the van and off you go.

10. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

To be honest, I would consider fitting a standard cassette toilet in place of the ships one you have. You then would not need the extra tank or mess involved

Look on EBay if your on a budget, as there are often caravans being broken up for spares. Fitting is pretty easy if you can use basic tools like a jigsaw. Otherwise get a local mobile fitter do it for you, although this will push the price up

11. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

In france last year we stopped at some services for a break.

I got out and lit a cigarette and stretched my legs. I wandered over to an area which had a motorhome sign. As I got there I realised I was standing right by a dump point with "material" all splattered around.

Much retching followed:Sad::Doh:

12. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

The holding tank is normal in RV's (yanks)

The holding tank is normal in RV's and has been for as long as I have owned them (25 years).. it is simple to use... I have dumped into a carrier then hauled it to a dump point, but these days I have a portable macerator that fits on to a flat high pressure hose 8 bar and I connect the macerator to the dump valve (comes in a carry case).. screw on the hose and then hit the switch and pump the waste (water now) to my dump point at home or on camp sites or at shows. Easy to use, lasts 3 to 5 days and none of the hauling (carrying) a unit to a dump point... Once you get in to using one you will never go back to the porta pot tie type thing in most european vans.

Plenty of RV companies over here sell the equipment .. on Ebay look under American Motorhome spares and you will find several UK dealers that have them.

Bob

• Like Like x 1
  13. vwalan

vwalan Funster

hi, many service stations on motorways or big coach parks .try coach depots they have toilet drops . you will soon start to see them .have a word with a local coach operator they maybe able to give you a list of many. there are alot out there.

14. simsy56

simsy56 Funster

l too have a holding tank, when it's time for emptying connect the 3" hose, place t'other end into waste point, or sewer, and pull lever, gone! Then pull waste water lever and that washes out the pipe. Easy. And like Bob said earlier, if you are not near, or cannot get near a suitable waste point, connect the macerator and suitable hose, switch on, and get rid of it in an instant.

Craig

15. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

after a quick search i find there is a specific cassette for this type of toilet.

it slides in underneath the toilet bowl from below in the same way a regular motorhome cassette does.

personally I don't fancy the idea of an open container lurking under the van ......not on a hot summer day anyway. [​IMG] :Eeek:...

so i would try to source the correct cassette.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Toyclean

Well, thanks all. Looks like I'll need to cover both bases: 1. Pay attention to ground level emptying points and 2. Get some kind of container for when there's no suitable emptying point. Time for a bit of measuring up the poop shoot!

Fun fun fun.

17. Popeye

Popeye Funster

Material; what the hell had they been eating........

.......perhaps they were so desperate it just ripped straight through the gusset and down the 'ole.....:Rofl1: