to paint or not to paint ?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Terry, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Terry

Terry Funster

thinking of painting the cieling in the van or simply overboarding it ?I washed it last year but it has dried worse than when I started :BigGrin: so SWMBO says it needs paint :Eeek:Thinking of removing the roof vent and plastic jointing strips brfore painting but now toying with a simple overboard job-probably quicker than the painting -- I HAVE PLENTY OF WEIGHT ALLOWANCE SO i WOULD NOT NEED TO REMOVE THE OLD BOARDS JUST CUT NEW INBETWEEN CUPBOARDS (bloody caps) any thoughts? Got plenty of emulsion:thumb:but boards would prob need a trip to olearys which is no bad thing :BigGrin:
    Thoughts are paint and if no good then overboard :Wink:
    terry

2. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

I would have thought painting it would be the easiest too .
    Couldn't you use that vinyl sticky back plastic stuff, like a wallpaper ? If its a smooth surface.

3. dshague

dshague Funster

terry saw some boards in knollbeck caravans last week .give them a phone call could be cheep :Smile: for none yorkies just down road from terry save a bob or two travelling to o,learys :Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  4. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

Desent roller and some of the Plastic based "Matt" emulsion.. (I think on the tin it say`s Flexible)

And suitable for bathrooms & Kitchens...

If it dont come up OK.... Overboard it... :thumb:

5. Jez and Lin

Jez and Lin Funster Life Member

Just pondering your post & wondered if you have considered UPVC interior cladding. I went down to Wickes the other day & was seriously impressed with their Ash effect wide T&G stuff. Its very light, wipeable & doesn't cost a fortune & a doddle for a Guy like you to fit (Joiner) with hidden fixings.
    Just a thought & there are other types but this had a realistic grained effect & looked the business

6. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

What about:

Vinyl flooring - not as daft as it may sound - it's waterproof so can be sponged clean if needed, could be stuck with spray adhesive/brush on adhesive as necessary, easily trimmed to size/shape, easier to handle than boarding (and cheaper) and comes in a load of different colours, patterns textures, it would also add a little bit more insulation to the roof too if.

Self-adhesive floor tiles - again easy to use and lots of choice.

Wallpaper - lots to choose from.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Terry

Terry Funster

I did around 25 yrs with my own business in pvc windows so I am very up on all forms of cladding, some lovly stuff around :Wink: but to me it smacks of DIY finish :BigGrin: Thats what led me to the paint or not question- not entirly sure if it will be ok finish wise
    Terry

8. icantremember

icantremember Funster

Got it ......

Have you considered a nice bit of...........
    [​IMG]:Wink:

• Like Like x 2
  9. Terry

Terry Funster

:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::BigGrin:

I have considered some really nice black with gold specled cladding but somehow I don't think Ann would let me
    terry

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  10. Terry

Terry Funster

Right it's painted :thumb::BigGrin:Took about twenty mins to remove heiki rooflight,shower curtain and the jointing strips :Smile: (ANYONE REMOVING STRIPS BE VERY CAREFUL-did not come out as easy as I antisipated)Then five mins with dust sheets,and about 25/35 mins to give it a lick of paint -used a paint pad which was very easy but as paint was drying you could make out brush type marks .:BigGrin:Hung around for another 3 hrs or so before another coat which was fine for the edges but then I went stright over it all with a small roller giving a better looking finish :thumb:Then hung around again until I just gave it a final (I hope )coat and locked it up while morning.:Smile:If alls well with the finish (looking good:thumb:) it's just a case of ten mins to refit the curtian rail roof light and strips.
    I am convinced I could have overboarded it in a couple of hours possibly 3 hrs allowing for coffee breaks :Eeek::BigGrin:I went down to Knolbecks but he was shut until 1 pm :Eeek: plus the phone has been engaged from 2 pm until 4.30 by which time I gave up trying to ring them Barstewards :Angry:
    terry

• Like Like x 1
  11. Terry

Terry Funster

All done and put back together.You cannot tell the difference apart from roof being cleaner looking :thumb:Just for info I used Crown vynil silk emulsion -WHITE MIXED WITH = MAGNOLIA that gave me the perfect match to the original colour boards :thumb: which was a lot different to how they aged :BigGrin:The orig colour was easy to see and match once the roof light was taken down :Smile:It took 3 coats for the finish using (in the end) a small roller.I have liad on the seats looking up and I am glad to say the boarding looks as good as the day I originaly fitted them.The only painful bit is waiting for the paint to dry which takes a long time because it is painted onto the vynil boards
    terry

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  12. G4OGE

G4OGE

I have a copy

I have a picture of the Sistine chapel somewhere all you have to do is make sure you get the fingers right!.