To fit a curtain at front of MH without curtain rail.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by etap, Dec 11, 2014.

1. etap

etap

Hi, because there is not enough space above cab on the wood facia to fit a curtain rail, have been thinking of other ways to do this i.e. Snap hooks/ magnets, neither of these is strong enough so was wondering how others might do this, any ideas would be appreciated.
    Etap

2. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

Try Velcro strips,stick one too the wood and sew one to the curtain ,job done!

Vlad

• Like Like x 1
  3. big bertha

big bertha Funster

We use and an extendable shower curtain pole with eyelet curtains, would that work in your set up:)

4. Cal54

Cal54 Funster Life Member

Not sure exactly were you are meaning - is it the windscreen or are you wanting to separate the cab from the rest of the van? If the latter, my neighbour has used Velcro and a lightweight fleece blanket that she puts up at night. She reckons it makes a great difference and definitely keeps the van warmer and free from drafts. Very little weight and very easy to launder.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Stroppy Bird

Stroppy Bird Funster

Is there enough space to fit this type of curtain rail?

http://www.terrysfabrics.co.uk/prod/curtain-track/swish-furniglyde-track/

I've got one ready to fit to section off the cab in my van - I just need to get around to it.
    It can be face fixed instead of ceiling fixed - you just need to order the different button hooks to go with it.

I've already ceiling fixed one to separate the sleeping area.

6. etap

etap

The curtain is to go behind the swivel seats, much like you would see on chausson or other MH's, difficulty is that the surround above the seats is plastic so cannot fit rails there, and above the surround is wood compartments but giving only a little amount of fixing room, Velcro may not be strong enough as the shape would be a semi circle with corners, and a light but fairly med weight curtain.
    Thanks for your replies sure we will find something that might do it.
    Etap

7. davanne

davanne Funster

My TEC has a lightweight curtain attached by press studs. It must have been done at the factory because it is the same material as the rest of the curtains in the van.:xsmile:

8. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

I hung a large duvet cover by trapping it in the locker doors--not pretty but definitely kept habitation area warmer. Just took it down in the day.

• Like Like x 1
  9. injebreck99

injebreck99 Funster

I sometimes wish that we had a curtain on a rail to replace those irritating concertina blinds that cut vision and rattle/creak.:swear2:

• Like Like x 1
  10. motorhome42

motorhome42 Funster

We used a spring loaded extending net curtain rail. Works for us and definitely helps to cut down on cold draughts.

11. LARRY99

LARRY99 Funster Life Member

What about the plastic covered wire curtain rail that's made to go around curves , the stuff you cut to length and screw a metal eye into the end ,,, that and a few small hooks in the right place should do it, and it will fold up with the curtain when you stow it

12. Cal54

Cal54 Funster Life Member

Etap; are you sure you want a permanently fitted curtain? They can become a nuisance and get in the way at times. Personally I would look at something that you put up only when necessary, and was light enough to tuck away into a cupboard when not needed.

13. TheCaller

TheCaller Funster

I used press studs screwed to the wood. Looks fairly neat - more so than velcro strips or a curtain rail would. The fixing area is right in my eyeline.

We made a thermal lightproof curtain - one layer of lightproof material, a layer of thermal insulation & then a layer of lining material. It's very effective - keeps the heat in, stops draughts & means that when parked up, you can't tell from outside whether the van is occupied or just parked, which can be handy sometimes! (y)

It folds up & goes in the over cab storage area when not in use. It would always be in the way if it just pushed back on a curtain rail.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Stroppy Bird

Stroppy Bird Funster

Hmm. May have to have a rethink on my plan as this sounds better.
    Having had a quick look something like this will probably do the job.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hemline-S...ll-Range-/191242679666?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

I've already got a load of thermal blackout curtain lining from another project to use for the curtain

• Like Like x 1
  15. Xabia

Xabia Funster

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  16. Ed Excel

Ed Excel Funster

17. TheCaller

TheCaller Funster

Yep - that's what I used. Different packet, but same contents.

I did try the expanding pole idea, but the van sides slope in a bit towards the top, so they just slid down. The sides are dimpled plastic, so very little grip. We wanted to have the curtain up on the move too - it means you can keep the cab heat in the cab & not worry about trying to heat the whole van with a heater not designed to do that. Depends what I'm going to do at journey's end - my van gets used like a car, so if I'm going to park, get out of the van & go into a building, there is no need to try & keep the back warm.

• Like Like x 2
  18. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

You need these:giggler:

Sorry couldn't resist:blusher:

19. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

If it is to go at the rear of the cab between the cab seats and the habitation area then what about good old fashioned curtain net wire threaded through the top of a couple of curtains and hooked up at either end with a hook in the centre to support the centre of the wire so it would still allow you to get at stuff in the cab if you needed to. You could easily leave it up during the day if you wanted by just pullin gthe curtains to each side, leave them in place to keep the heat in the cab when travelling, or just unhook the lot and fold it to store.

As we use our cab seats swivelled round for our half dinette and also have fitted cab concertina blinds I have other methods of increasing the insulation - the first is to put some internal thermal blind pads between the concertina blinds and the windscreen and door glass which makes a lot of difference (the suction cubs on them and the blinds hold them in place) in addition I have made some curtain panels from some old thermal backed curtains that I had which have Velcro sewn on the tops which attached to Velcro which I've stuck around the top of the cab - these can be easily and quickly fitted to give more insulation if needs be and/or cut down the amount of light entering the cab area so the dogs don't wake up so early!!! They come off quickly if needs be and can be easily stored.

20. Dorwyn

Dorwyn Funster

We use the plastic covered net curtain wire idea held by a single screw-in eyelet at the centre point, just in front of the overcab so that it hangs behind the front seats. Since the overcab cupboard has no door, we just roll up tuck in each side of the curtain when not in use, it takes up little space but is ready to roll down instantly, should they be required for an instant car park comfort stop, or of course overnight. It does help on cold nights.