To fit a curtain at front of MH without curtain rail. (2 Viewers)

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
Hi, because there is not enough space above cab on the wood facia to fit a curtain rail, have been thinking of other ways to do this i.e. Snap hooks/ magnets, neither of these is strong enough so was wondering how others might do this, any ideas would be appreciated.
Etap

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
We use and an extendable shower curtain pole with eyelet curtains, would that work in your set up:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Not sure exactly were you are meaning - is it the windscreen or are you wanting to separate the cab from the rest of the van? If the latter, my neighbour has used Velcro and a lightweight fleece blanket that she puts up at night. She reckons it makes a great difference and definitely keeps the van warmer and free from drafts. Very little weight and very easy to launder.

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
Is there enough space to fit this type of curtain rail?

http://www.terrysfabrics.co.uk/prod/curtain-track/swish-furniglyde-track/

I've got one ready to fit to section off the cab in my van - I just need to get around to it.
It can be face fixed instead of ceiling fixed - you just need to order the different button hooks to go with it.

I've already ceiling fixed one to separate the sleeping area.

OP
OP
etap

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
The curtain is to go behind the swivel seats, much like you would see on chausson or other MH's, difficulty is that the surround above the seats is plastic so cannot fit rails there, and above the surround is wood compartments but giving only a little amount of fixing room, Velcro may not be strong enough as the shape would be a semi circle with corners, and a light but fairly med weight curtain.
Thanks for your replies sure we will find something that might do it.
Etap

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
The curtain is to go behind the swivel seats, much like you would see on chausson or other MH's, difficulty is that the surround above the seats is plastic so cannot fit rails there, and above the surround is wood compartments but giving only a little amount of fixing room, Velcro may not be strong enough as the shape would be a semi circle with corners, and a light but fairly med weight curtain.
Thanks for your replies sure we will find something that might do it.
Etap
My TEC has a lightweight curtain attached by press studs. It must have been done at the factory because it is the same material as the rest of the curtains in the van.:xsmile:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I hung a large duvet cover by trapping it in the locker doors--not pretty but definitely kept habitation area warmer. Just took it down in the day.

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
I sometimes wish that we had a curtain on a rail to replace those irritating concertina blinds that cut vision and rattle/creak.:swear2:

motorhome42

Free Member
Feb 12, 2010
North Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail
Exp
Since 2009
We used a spring loaded extending net curtain rail. Works for us and definitely helps to cut down on cold draughts.

LARRY99

LIFE MEMBER
May 27, 2011
South wales
Funster No
MH
C class Rv/ Dethleff
Exp
Ages
What about the plastic covered wire curtain rail that's made to go around curves , the stuff you cut to length and screw a metal eye into the end ,,, that and a few small hooks in the right place should do it, and it will fold up with the curtain when you stow it

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Etap; are you sure you want a permanently fitted curtain? They can become a nuisance and get in the way at times. Personally I would look at something that you put up only when necessary, and was light enough to tuck away into a cupboard when not needed.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
I used press studs screwed to the wood. Looks fairly neat - more so than velcro strips or a curtain rail would. The fixing area is right in my eyeline.

We made a thermal lightproof curtain - one layer of lightproof material, a layer of thermal insulation & then a layer of lining material. It's very effective - keeps the heat in, stops draughts & means that when parked up, you can't tell from outside whether the van is occupied or just parked, which can be handy sometimes! (y)

It folds up & goes in the over cab storage area when not in use. It would always be in the way if it just pushed back on a curtain rail.

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
I used press studs screwed to the wood. Looks fairly neat - more so than velcro strips or a curtain rail would. The fixing area is right in my eyeline.

We made a thermal lightproof curtain - one layer of lightproof material, a layer of thermal insulation & then a layer of lining material. It's very effective - keeps the heat in, stops draughts & means that when parked up, you can't tell from outside whether the van is occupied or just parked, which can be handy sometimes! (y)

It folds up & goes in the over cab storage area when not in use. It would always be in the way if it just pushed back on a curtain rail.

Hmm. May have to have a rethink on my plan as this sounds better.
Having had a quick look something like this will probably do the job.

Broken Link Removed

I've already got a load of thermal blackout curtain lining from another project to use for the curtain

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
Have you considered those spring loaded curtain rails that work by exerting pressure against the walls that they are placed between. You could put it up at night and away during the day.

Like these: Broken Link Removed

Mike

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Having had a quick look something like this will probably do the job.

Broken Link Removed
Yep - that's what I used. Different packet, but same contents.

I did try the expanding pole idea, but the van sides slope in a bit towards the top, so they just slid down. The sides are dimpled plastic, so very little grip. We wanted to have the curtain up on the move too - it means you can keep the cab heat in the cab & not worry about trying to heat the whole van with a heater not designed to do that. Depends what I'm going to do at journey's end - my van gets used like a car, so if I'm going to park, get out of the van & go into a building, there is no need to try & keep the back warm.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If it is to go at the rear of the cab between the cab seats and the habitation area then what about good old fashioned curtain net wire threaded through the top of a couple of curtains and hooked up at either end with a hook in the centre to support the centre of the wire so it would still allow you to get at stuff in the cab if you needed to. You could easily leave it up during the day if you wanted by just pullin gthe curtains to each side, leave them in place to keep the heat in the cab when travelling, or just unhook the lot and fold it to store.

As we use our cab seats swivelled round for our half dinette and also have fitted cab concertina blinds I have other methods of increasing the insulation - the first is to put some internal thermal blind pads between the concertina blinds and the windscreen and door glass which makes a lot of difference (the suction cubs on them and the blinds hold them in place) in addition I have made some curtain panels from some old thermal backed curtains that I had which have Velcro sewn on the tops which attached to Velcro which I've stuck around the top of the cab - these can be easily and quickly fitted to give more insulation if needs be and/or cut down the amount of light entering the cab area so the dogs don't wake up so early!!! They come off quickly if needs be and can be easily stored.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
We use the plastic covered net curtain wire idea held by a single screw-in eyelet at the centre point, just in front of the overcab so that it hangs behind the front seats. Since the overcab cupboard has no door, we just roll up tuck in each side of the curtain when not in use, it takes up little space but is ready to roll down instantly, should they be required for an instant car park comfort stop, or of course overnight. It does help on cold nights.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Velcro nice and easy

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hope @GJH sees this and can explain better than me... They used the bottom pieces of a walking stick cut out to form a 'rest' for a pole The curtains can then be drawn back to one side when not needed. Hopefully, they will see this. It was a brilliant idea. :)

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
One of the reasons that I went with press studs rather than curtain wire & hooks, apart from aesthetics, is that the hooks would be at my eye level. It's also a point that my head passes very close to as I move in & out of the van & through to the front seats. The consequences of a slip or just a misjudgement didn't bear thinking about.

I expect the press stud would still hurt & I have hit my head on the woodwork a time or too, but they are not quite so likely to rip my eye out or slash my cheek open.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Minx's Idea of covering the glass first, will save you a lot of condensation.. Then a velcro'd 2 piece curtain will do the rest of the job..

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We wanted to close the cab off so today we bought a spring loaded shower curtain rail and a set of thermal lined curtains from Dunelm, looks good and hopefully works well :xgrin:

Were away next week, off to Devon so will take some piccys and let you know how they work.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
My wife! who sees a lot of things I do not !!! said lower the sun visors, put our throw (seat cover, Large) across both of them and raise back to the normal position. Bingo! Brilliant, quick and absolutly no cost. If it was left to me I would have been employing NASA technology and NASA pricing.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Our van had a curtain held up with what I think of as net curtain wires. It did my head in so I got rid of it as soon as we had some internal screens.

Mind you, our cab heating on the move keeps the whole interior toasty warm.. gotta love Fords

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back