Thinking of giving up (1 Viewer)

Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
Probably the safest thing to do, particularly if it is wet. I shudder in my car with its LP tyres on it. I wouldn't go near a bike, motorised or pedal now, it is simply too dangerous on open roads.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Thats bad.
Is it a main country road? Looks more like a private farm track.
It was a country road when I moved to the area 40 years ago but since the bypass from the A23 to an industrial estate was built (and GPS became widely used) it has become a heavily used rat-run and short cut for cars and large trade/delivery vehicles. It just doesn't have any appropriate foundation and nearby a stream crosses under the road in a culvert but it regularly floods, consequently the subsoil is continuously washed away. The road is so very busy that I had difficulty finding a gap in the traffic to take the photos required by W. Sussex Highways dep't for my compensation claim for the car.
(Oh, and for the past 13 years I've had to ride one-armed so hitting a pothole isn't pleasant either).

Aug 15, 2023
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
If something with 21/18 would be too high, I'd seriously look at trying something with 19/17 wheels rather 17/15. They will make a difference. I'd also imagine a 3 wheeler like a Can Am (whilst I'd love one if I lived in Spain or Italy) would be the worst of all worlds....the potholes you manage to avoid with the front 2 wheels get you with the rear wheel. I may be wrong, wife says I often am.

OP
OP
bobnick
Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Roads are bad for sure but look well ahead and on a bike you often have the option to dodge more potholes than in a car. All advanced training is helpful no matter what we know we can always learn more.
Don't give up riding, look at it as a challenge to improve your skills even more in pot hole avoidance... and get some advanced training. No one ever has said "I didn't learn anything on that course".... unless they didn't listen.
After 65 years of riding including some competition i think i have some experiance.
Concentrating so much on avoiding pot holes that may throw you off (maybe full of water as someone already mentioned), winter sun blinding you, bad weather generaly, not consentrating AS MUCH on all other aspects of riding including drivers that think you are invisable all adds up to it's not as enjoyable as it once was.
Oh and it hurts more when you fall/get knock off at 74.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Looks like you need my GasGas on some of them roads ;)
20221122_132838.jpg

OP
OP
bobnick
Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
If something with 21/18 would be too high, I'd seriously look at trying something with 19/17 wheels rather 17/15. They will make a difference. I'd also imagine a 3 wheeler like a Can Am (whilst I'd love one if I lived in Spain or Italy) would be the worst of all worlds....the potholes you manage to avoid with the front 2 wheels get you with the rear wheel. I may be wrong, wife says I often am.
Agree about the 3rd wheel coping it, BUT, a pot hole is highly unlikey to throw you off as easily as 2 wheels.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
I ride a Honda Africa Twin so have a 21 front and 18 rear (is yours 15 rear and 17 front?) which do make a difference but must say I've not considered quitting due to the poor state of some roads. I could still find loads of great quiet fairly well surfaced roads from where I lived in West Yorkshire. I now live in the northern bit of SW France and have a 2nd bike to potter about the local lanes and tracks...the AT just takes me and the Mrs on longer trips in Europe (and back to the Borders this coming September)

Pretty much what all my bikers friends and colleagues ride, GS, Twin and one a Multistrada😮‍💨 but same concept of being able to cope with it all on not great roads, they also tell me more comfortable vs the plastic rockets they all used to ride😂

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
After 65 years of riding including some competition i think i have some experiance.
Concentrating so much on avoiding pot holes that may throw you off (maybe full of water as someone already mentioned), winter sun blinding you, bad weather generaly, not consentrating AS MUCH on all other aspects of riding including drivers that think you are invisable all adds up to it's not as enjoyable as it once was.
Oh and it hurts more when you fall/get knock off at 74.
You have done well to survive riding this long and I am not taking the Mickley. If any if us long term bikers have lasted this long we have done well.
If you really don't like it / enjoy it anymore then it is time to park the helmet. Been in Spain for the last 6 weeks with a KTM 790 Duke for transport when van on site and it is a huge challenge riding to "Spanish rules"... they don't indicate when going around islands, a bloody free for all when a red light shows and wagons ignoring speed limits. Oh and all those ruddy speed humps...
As many good skills as we have learned over the years a refresh with some advanced training does help... honest. I know bikers in their 80s who have just done advanced training and been blown away by how much they have taken from the course.
When we are born we know how to find our mothers nipple... the rest we learn.
Lecture over, enjoy the path you choose to take..

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
I started riding bikes at 10 years of age (Triumph Tigeress) then racing at 13 till 17 then outfits always felt much safer on a track than on a road if in doubt flat out🤣
I’m probably not the the most sensible rider on the road now at my age so all the big bikes have gone🙂

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
I am a spring chicken surrounded by old people here lol😎😇, but even at 55 I have suffered from little interest in riding these days, I got a rather splendid and very exciting bike ( Ducati streetfighter) so that’s not the problem, the roads and the people on it are just shocking , I lived in wales for 15 years and the county of Powys has one of the best tarmac roads in the UK, much better as most, now live in the Cotswolds and on most roads you need a tractor with air suspension , not helped by the fact that I am not that great a rider, I am mister slow, I still enjoy 50 miles on a very sunny day but my 250 miles days are long gone, I sincerely hope that my children never get a motorcycle itch.
I fancy a rather comfy convertible with 4 wheels next I think👍😎

May 19, 2014
Keynsham, Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
Since 2005
I tend to be a fair-weather daytime mid-week leisure biker now, so most troublesome potholes are visible and empty. Cars not noticing me seem the biggest risk, so I take care to be as visible as possible, yellow helmet & vest, reflective strips on top-box, auxiliary lights, high-intensity brake lights, Denali split soundbomb horn (linked to strobing full-power auxialiary lights). I also have a rational fear of deer crossing near dusk, so have deer whistles on the front! A Professor on Animal hearing in the USA vouches that they WILL hear them, though whether they have enough time to react depends on your speed :rolleyes:

Will be motorcycle camping in Wales this summer.

Dave

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Thats bad.
Is it a main country road? Looks more like a private farm track.
Here you are, Bob. This is the rat-run route which is 1.1 miles shorter than around the bypass........ :rolleyes:

Routes.JPG

OP
OP
bobnick
Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
I am a spring chicken surrounded by old people here lol😎😇, but even at 55 I have suffered from little interest in riding these days, I got a rather splendid and very exciting bike ( Ducati streetfighter) so that’s not the problem, the roads and the people on it are just shocking , I lived in wales for 15 years and the county of Powys has one of the best tarmac roads in the UK, much better as most, now live in the Cotswolds and on most roads you need a tractor with air suspension , not helped by the fact that I am not that great a rider, I am mister slow, I still enjoy 50 miles on a very sunny day but my 250 miles days are long gone, I sincerely hope that my children never get a motorcycle itch.
I fancy a rather comfy convertible with 4 wheels next I think👍😎
I hear you.
See my avatar for a comfy convertible
Also have a Audi TT45 Black Edition Cab.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I find cars are much more affected by potholes, they can be unavoidable sometimes but I usually thread the bike through the smooth bits. No way will I stop riding, I'll buy an adventure bike if necessary... Then a trials bike when the roads have completely gone in 20 years... Hey at least there will be no roax tax 😂

OP
OP
bobnick
Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Love em’ nearly got one, it was either a classic mini or a spyker mini has been and gone…

View attachment 865530
I think they look really smart, BUT, could us bikers put up with being stuck in the traffic like all the cagers.

The X-ADV-750 is a special edition of only 56 in the country. Mines number 36 of those 56.
20230627_071703[1].jpg
20230627_071739[1].jpg
20230721_123402[1].jpg

OP
OP
bobnick
Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Took some scrap in the other day and suprised at the rates now😳😳😁😁
Actually i'm being a bit unfair on the Wing.
Apart from that kill switch issue it/they are a great bike. A good rider (that will be me then) can get a fair old lick on in sport (yes sport on a Wing). Bit of a contradiction in terms.

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
This is my latest trike,had four after surgery or bike related problems.
Need your wits about you where I live on the Isle of Man.
No speed limits are on many parts of the Island,so good mirrors essential.
The place is full of boy racers,mostly rich ones,Ferrari,Porsche etc.
I Marshalled here and seen fatalities at the racing,my wife says I have excellent reflexes.
I like to think I will be sure when I need to stop.
Never drink alcohol nights before riding.
IMG_0096.jpeg
IMG_0096.jpeg
IMG_0097.jpeg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back