Thinking of giving up (1 Viewer)

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Looking at the state of our roads and knowing they are NOT going to be improve i am seriously thinking of giving up biking.
Some of the pot holes a proper bad. I can imagin following a car and not being quick enough to reach now (74) to avoid it and getting thrown off.
Last week i drove to Blackburn on the M6, M62, M65, i was shocked at just how bad even our motorways have become.
I've had bikes and been riding since i was 7/8 year old and even now consider myself an ok rider, BUT.
I don't do Europe biking anything like some so that is not in the equation.
How are other riders thinking?

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
I’m not a rider…fell off my Triumph Tiger Cub 53 years ago,and never got back on :ROFLMAO:
So,not qualified to answer your question,but I will anyway!!!

Logically,You should give it up: Age,state of the roads,volume of traffic now,and most of all the bloody awful standards of driving you now encounter.

But: If you really really enjoy it ,you should carry on. You might drop dead tomorrow,you know what the risks are,you don’t ride like a maniac,Her Maj doesn’t moan about it,etc.

About 15 years ago I passed the Advanced driving test,it was an eye opener (literally) as it taught me to be more aware of the risks. Is there something similar for bikers?

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Like you I have been riding since about 14 off ,road test on 16 th birthday .
Still have 6 bikes but 74 now and finding the weight the biggest problem and need a new hip.
After a serious accident years ago I bought a three wheeler and it was fun.
Just bought a triked BMW R1200 and am loving it.Can step over the seat to get on,no worries when the wife climbs on.Reverse gear..I have found I can miss the potholes If I straddle them.Conversion by Grinnall an option possibly?
Thats if I see them first of course!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
John changed his bike Just before christmas from a KTM to a ducati monster, the next thing he knew his mate was changing his to a new Kawasaki, they are both well in their 70s.
Have to say the roads are 💩💩

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I have been riding since about 14 off ,road test on 16 th birthday .
Still have 6 bikes but 74 now
Yep, I've been riding, touring and camping with old Brit bikes regularly for 62 years and just before Covid I rode to Spain, toured and rode back but haven't been out on a bike since last May due to the state of the roads. Most dangerous are the waterfilled potholes; the existence, depth and severity of which mostly can't be pre-determined.
In the past ten years or so the traffic hazards seem to have increased a lot which I mainly put down to all the in-car distractions; electronic accessories, touch screens and talking technology.
I'm of a mind to pack up completely as it's not the pleasure it was, although maybe I'll stick to France which has better N and D roads and drivers are more accommodating to motards.

OP
OP
bobnick
Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
I’m not a rider…fell off my Triumph Tiger Cub 53 years ago,and never got back on :ROFLMAO:
So,not qualified to answer your question,but I will anyway!!!

Logically,You should give it up: Age,state of the roads,volume of traffic now,and most of all the bloody awful standards of driving you now encounter.

But: If you really really enjoy it ,you should carry on. You might drop dead tomorrow,you know what the risks are,you don’t ride like a maniac,Her Maj doesn’t moan about it,etc.

About 15 years ago I passed the Advanced driving test,it was an eye opener (literally) as it taught me to be more aware of the risks. Is there something similar for bikers?
There is but i've not taken any.
Years and years and 100,000s miles experiance are my eye openers.

OP
OP
bobnick
Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Still have 6 bikes but 74 now and finding the weight the biggest problem and need a new hip.
Just bought a triked BMW R1200 and am loving it.Can step over the seat to get on,no worries when the wife climbs on.Reverse gear..I have found I can miss the potholes If I straddle them.Conversion by Grinnall an option possibly?
The biggest issue i find is spotting the holes.
A trike could be considered

OP
OP
bobnick
Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Yep, I've been riding, touring and camping with old Brit bikes regularly for 62 years and just before Covid I rode to Spain, toured and rode back but haven't been out on a bike since last May due to the state of the roads. Most dangerous are the waterfilled potholes; the existence, depth and severity of which mostly can't be pre-determined.
In the past ten years or so the traffic hazards seem to have increased a lot which I mainly put down to all the in-car distractions; electronic accessories, touch screens and talking technology.
I'm of a mind to pack up completely as it's not the pleasure it was, although maybe I'll stick to France which has better N and D roads and drivers are more accommodating to motards.
Exactly.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006

There is; how much you get from it depends on whether or not you're an analytical rider (question why things happen when you’re out riding, read articles about improving your riding, etc). If you’re not, you’ll get loads from it but even if you are you’ll no doubt pick up a couple of gems.

Whether or not it matters to you, it’s no accident that (most) police riders are fast (over the ground) riders.

In any group of riders, the good riders have the lowest top speeds recorded yet have the highest average speeds (taken from data recorded on their sat navs).

Ian

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
I've been riding bikes for over 60 years but haven't ridden mine for 3 years due to having my licence revoked on medical grounds. However I have now got it back and when the salt disappears off the roads I will get the Wing out and see how I feel. If I am still enjoying it I will carry on, if the weight is a problem (I'm 76) I will consider swapping it for something lighter and perhaps a bit more retro like the new BSAs, REs or Triumph. We intend using the Piaggio MP3 when we go away with the van.

Nov 19, 2021
Nr Wigan, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido A Class
Exp
The condition of the roads in all counties are horrendous, a lot are so deep they have cellars.
These are very difficult to read and if filled with water can be virtually unnoticed.

I find it very difficult to avoid most potholes in the car, annoyingly avoid one and hit another so damage limitation.

In my honest opinion, I definitely would not be riding a motorcycle on these roads at this moment in time.

However, they are that bad, come April I’m sure there should be some improvement so would have a rethink then.

Oct 21, 2017
Funster No
I've been riding bikes for over 60 years but haven't ridden mine for 3 years due to having my licence revoked on medical grounds. However I have now got it back and when the salt disappears off the roads I will get the Wing out and see how I feel. If I am still enjoying it I will carry on, if the weight is a problem (I'm 76) I will consider swapping it for something lighter and perhaps a bit more retro like the new BSAs, REs or Triumph. We intend using the Piaggio MP3 when we go away with the van.
Really glad you got your license back ……enjoy !

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
Just look into how many cars are having to have new springs due to breaking the previous ones on the roads. Demonstrates just how bad they are.
I’ve had to replace springs on 3 cars in the last year.

Now consider a motorbike. The road conditions are deadly.

Been riding since 1983 and hardly been out the last 2 years. The state of the roads really worries me. So yes have been thinking about giving up too. So sad thought
TBH the only reason I do still have it is to go for a blast with the lad.

Will decide after my road trip to Germany in May with my son. Fortunately we at taking the Newcastle to Ijmuiden ferry so only 8 miles each way in the UK.

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
Exactly the same feelings. My bike hasn't turned a wheel since the end of August.
Think ive only done around 1000 miles per year since Covid.
May just MOT the bike next month & see if i can sell it.

Oct 21, 2017
Funster No
I don’t think the condition of roads is great but I genuinely haven’t noticed many really bad pot holes…….certainly not enough to stop me riding.
I’m doing a 180 mile round trip to Chester on Friday, I’ll report back what I think of the road surface 😀👍

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
IAM, ROSPA & a number of professional outfits offer advanced training. Done them all, well wirth it.

OP
OP
bobnick
Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
The condition of the roads in all counties are horrendous, a lot are so deep they have cellars.
These are very difficult to read and if filled with water can be virtually unnoticed.

I find it very difficult to avoid most potholes in the car, annoyingly avoid one and hit another so damage limitation.

In my honest opinion, I definitely would not be riding a motorcycle on these roads at this moment in time.

However, they are that bad, come April I’m sure there should be some improvement so would have a rethink then.
I think come April they will be worse as the road mending are not keeping up with the damage being done.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
I'll be 70 this year still riding and still enjoying it and have been riding since I was 14, but the potholes do take the shine off it at times, perhaps have a look for an adventure style bike with long suspension travel which will soak up the potholes a bit, Husky 901 Expedition or similar maybe?

OP
OP
bobnick
Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
I don’t think the condition of roads is great but I genuinely haven’t noticed many really bad pot holes…….certainly not enough to stop me riding.
I’m doing a 180 mile round trip to Chester on Friday, I’ll report back what I think of the road surface 😀👍
We are 20 miles west of Chester and there are a lot of holes.

OP
OP
bobnick
Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
I'll be 70 this year still riding and still enjoying it and have been riding since I was 14, but the potholes do take the shine off it at times, perhaps have a look for an adventure style bike with long suspension travel which will soak up the potholes a bit, Husky 901 Expedition or similar maybe?
Been there done that.
I have a semi adventure bike now, a Honda X-ADV-750, the holes still hurt.

Nov 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Find gravel worse than potholes
Cat No GIF by Looney Tunes

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
We are 20 miles west of Chester and there are a lot of holes.
Terrible in Mid Sussex.
This a section of a very busy rat-run avoiding the longer way around the bypass between the A23, my village and the nearby large and rapidly expanding industrial estate. For several years now a couple of contractor blokes have occasionally turned up, put a bucket of tarmac down and about 6/8 weeks later it has all broken out again. I report it but little happens. I claimed £350 compensation for a burst tyre and damaged wheel when there was 1/2" of water right across the road but they declined responsibility as they said they are only required to inspect the road every 6 months and would rely upon a defence under section 58 of the Highways Act 1980. I Couldn't Be Ars*d to spend my time following it up with the mealy-mouthed faceless fonctionnires.

Van. Long shot.JPG

Road left side.JPG

Aug 15, 2023
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
I ride a Honda Africa Twin so have a 21 front and 18 rear (is yours 15 rear and 17 front?) which do make a difference but must say I've not considered quitting due to the poor state of some roads. I could still find loads of great quiet fairly well surfaced roads from where I lived in West Yorkshire. I now live in the northern bit of SW France and have a 2nd bike to potter about the local lanes and tracks...the AT just takes me and the Mrs on longer trips in Europe (and back to the Borders this coming September)

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Yup, I know what you mean 100%.

We have to, watch out for cars pulling out
watch for drivers that look straight at us and still pull out
Watch out for oil patches on bends
Overtaking wagons,
Dont forget the lifesaver
Yadda yada
and now we have to dodge pot holes

I know what you mean about the motorway thing too, and traffic cone dodging.

The final straw with me was being stopped in the dead centre of the road at a road chicane outside a school, waiting for an oncoming car, in a 20 zone and being knocked up in the air from behind by 18 months ago and Im still not walking properly, by a woman putting makeup on in her rear view mirror while driving.

I didnt replace the bike. First time I have not had one since being in the juniors, with my monkey bike.
remember these ?? Not mine but identical, that went to my nephew many years ago,

1707937298827.png

OP
OP
bobnick
Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Terrible in Mid Sussex.
This a section of a very busy rat-run avoiding the longer way around the bypass between the A23, my village and the nearby large and rapidly expanding industrial estate. For several years now a couple of contractor blokes have occasionally turned up, put a bucket of tarmac down and about 6/8 weeks later it has all broken out again. I report it but little happens. I claimed £350 compensation for a burst tyre and damaged wheel when there was 1/2" of water right across the road but they declined responsibility as they said they are only required to inspect the road every 6 months and would rely upon a defence under section 58 of the Highways Act 1980. I Couldn't Be Ars*d to spend my time following it up with the mealy-mouthed faceless fonctionnires.

View attachment 865433

View attachment 865435
Thats bad.
Is it a main country road? Looks more like a private farm track.

OP
OP
bobnick
Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
I ride a Honda Africa Twin so have a 21 front and 18 rear (is yours 15 rear and 17 front?) which do make a difference but must say I've not considered quitting due to the poor state of some roads. I could still find loads of great quiet fairly well surfaced roads from where I lived in West Yorkshire. I now live in the northern bit of SW France and have a 2nd bike to potter about the local lanes and tracks...the AT just takes me and the Mrs on longer trips in Europe (and back to the Borders this coming September)
Problem with the AT for me is i would have to carry a ladder to get on the thing and every time i came to a stop i would have to make sure i have something to lean on cause i wouldn't get me little legs down. :LOL:

OP
OP
bobnick
Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Yup, I know what you mean 100%.

We have to, watch out for cars pulling out
watch for drivers that look straight at us and still pull out
Watch out for oil patches on bends
Overtaking wagons,
Dont forget the lifesaver
Yadda yada
and now we have to dodge pot holes

I know what you mean about the motorway thing too, and traffic cone dodging.

The final straw with me was being stopped in the dead centre of the road at a road chicane outside a school, waiting for an oncoming car, in a 20 zone and being knocked up in the air from behind by 18 months ago and Im still not walking properly, by a woman putting makeup on in her rear view mirror while driving.

I didnt replace the bike. First time I have not had one since being in the juniors, with my monkey bike.
remember these ?? Not mine but identical, that went to my nephew many years ag

Always said when i get on the bike i assume i am invisible as the nob head drivers don't see us.

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
Roads are bad for sure but look well ahead and on a bike you often have the option to dodge more potholes than in a car. All advanced training is helpful no matter what we know we can always learn more.
Don't give up riding, look at it as a challenge to improve your skills even more in pot hole avoidance... and get some advanced training. No one ever has said "I didn't learn anything on that course".... unless they didn't listen.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back