The Spanish Job - Final Planning (1 Viewer)

fossle60

Free Member
Oct 6, 2010
Pembrokeshire.
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
17 on and off
Re Spanish rally

Hi Mr Hilldweller! I have just been looking at the site on your link and am very tempted but where exactly is it? The address is not very helpful. Thanks.

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Frantically trying to make this meet. Think Im finally getting ontop of this monster machine....not tamed it yet but Im inside the cadge.

If you're as good a laugh face to face you'll be most welcome.

We've a good two months yet, you could build one from scratch in that time. Anyway, the boss will be there from Oct(ish) to March(ish). Though Christmas and the King's Birthday are the time to be there I reckon.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

fossle60

Free Member
Oct 6, 2010
Pembrokeshire.
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
17 on and off
Re Rally

Thanks! Cadiz looks good and the oh is waving his wine glass around to show his approval. Just wondering if we could get organised in time! We are dog-sitting for one offspring this month for a week, and child-sitting for another next month for a week AND getting the house ready to sell! Can we escape for Christmas with a clear concience? "Yes!" says hubby who hates all the palavar! Only problem our little van's 940cc engine does 50 down hill with the wind behind, and needs an hours rest every 100miles to recover so it might take us a week to get there! How long have we got to decide?

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
How long have we got to decide?

About March.

This is not an organised meet. Just a bunch of funsters who have listened to Dame Penelope and her over enthusiasm for this site.

Come and go as and when you please.

If you do the Santander crossing it's only 700 miles. Not without hills though.

fossle60

Free Member
Oct 6, 2010
Pembrokeshire.
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
17 on and off
Thanks Hilldweller. It would still take us a few days but it sounds like fun. Do I take it we just pay the site when we get there or do we have to book? If we did Santander route (about £350 each way in winter I think) can you recommend a couple of stop-overs and bearing in mind our van is rather tall and thin widthways and not good in windy situations, not encompassing any exposed mountain routes! In fact we do steep hills in first! Looking at the size of some of your RV's you could fit us in the back but if we went halves on the petrol I think we'd be losing out! How can you afford to go anywhere in those things?!! Seriously thanks for the info.

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
Thanks Hilldweller. It would still take us a few days but it sounds like fun. Do I take it we just pay the site when we get there or do we have to book?

As Brian said it's just an informal meet - so no organisation about it! ::bigsmile:

If you want to ring the site and book that's OK but it hasn't been necessary for the last 2 winters! If you do ring - ask for Carmen - her English is excellent - if she isn't there then ring another day!!

It does sometimes get busy at weekends with the Spanish but that tails off as the winter sets in! They need HOT HOT weather to go out camping! :Smile:

Once we get there we'll keep an eye on how busy it is getting and in any case I will warn the site that there a few funsters going to arrive. :Eeek:

We should be there first week in November and we're hoping to stay till around April! We get a bit comfy!!

We're getting the Santander ferry and we'll probably take about 4 or 5 days to get there - we don't rush!! At the moment we're looking at staying at Santillana del Mar which is not far from Santander, next stop Salamanca then Caceres then Sevilla then Zahora!
So that's 4 stops before we get to Zahora! We don't like to be driving after about 3.30 - 4pm - we like to settle for the night early. Nothing worse than getting to a strange campsite in the dark!:RollEyes:

harryoxford2

Free Member
Sep 14, 2010
Bishops Stortford Herts
Funster No
MH
B
Exp
2010 and camper all my life
working my butt off to get there

Hi, thanks for the update Im working my butt off to get there.

Sounds fun....do you all tow cars by the way? Im guessing being in one location there has to be alt transport...

hmm there you are youve invented another thing to do.

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
Hi, thanks for the update Im working my butt off to get there.

Sounds fun....do you all tow cars by the way? Im guessing being in one location there has to be alt transport...

hmm there you are youve invented another thing to do.

Hi Harry

We don't all tow cars - some do some don't - in the past we've hired one locally for a couple of weeks - want to do that long term this winter maybe!

There's a bus from near the site at 10.45 each morning to Conil - returns at 1pm and 3pm.
A lot of people also take bikes - we don't!:ROFLMAO:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
We have a few things to sought out late January, early February and so it looks like the earliest that we can get away will be mid Feb.

We will have to travel from Calais because we have a dog and Santaner or Bilbao is too long a trip.

My biggest concern is the weather driving down through France but if we can be there we will be there.

Jim
:Smile:

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
We have a few things to sought out late January, early February and so it looks like the earliest that we can get away will be mid Feb.

We will have to travel from Calais because we have a dog and Santaner or Bilbao is too long a trip.

My biggest concern is the weather driving down through France but if we can be there we will be there.

Jim
:Smile:

Look forward to seeing you there!

Don't know about the weather through France but I suppose if you stick to the Autoroutes you should be OK!

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Sadly you might have already seen I have foot problems again (other toes getting damaged and need bandaging) so this year dare not go to far so must stay in the UK especially as Bruno will be with me.

I am GUTTED, I bought the new caravan to make this trip possible for both myself and Bruno.

Doctor prepared to give me 3 month tablets plus I have a months spare.

I even have a paid ferry booking on hold till December too!

I have been planning a trip like this for years, its just not fair and one of the reasons i am not of top form at present.

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
Sadly you might have already seen I have foot problems again (other toes getting damaged and need bandaging) so this year dare not go to far so must stay in the UK especially as Bruno will be with me.

I am GUTTED, I bought the new caravan to make this trip possible for both myself and Bruno.

Doctor prepared to give me 3 month tablets plus I have a months spare.

I even have a paid ferry booking on hold till December too!

I have been planning a trip like this for years, its just not fair and one of the reasons i am not of top form at present.

That's a shame John! Better to get your health sorted out though before you undertake a big trip!:Smile:

Maybe next year you'll be feeling more up to it!:Smile:

Bouncer123

Free Member
Aug 22, 2009
The New Forest
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
6 years
Hope to join you in Zahora

As Brian said it's just an informal meet - so no organisation about it! ::bigsmile:

If you want to ring the site and book that's OK but it hasn't been necessary for the last 2 winters! If you do ring - ask for Carmen - her English is excellent - if she isn't there then ring another day!!

It does sometimes get busy at weekends with the Spanish but that tails off as the winter sets in! They need HOT HOT weather to go out camping! :Smile:

Once we get there we'll keep an eye on how busy it is getting and in any case I will warn the site that there a few funsters going to arrive. :Eeek:

We should be there first week in November and we're hoping to stay till around April! We get a bit comfy!!

We're getting the Santander ferry and we'll probably take about 4 or 5 days to get there - we don't rush!! At the moment we're looking at staying at Santillana del Mar which is not far from Santander, next stop Salamanca then Caceres then Sevilla then Zahora!
So that's 4 stops before we get to Zahora! We don't like to be driving after about 3.30 - 4pm - we like to settle for the night early. Nothing worse than getting to a strange campsite in the dark!:RollEyes:

Hi, Penelope Pitstop and Rex, well we are finally at the 'nearly getting going' date on our 'Long-terming' adventure! (We met briefly at a potential full timers meet quite a long time ago now, it seems ages!!) But now it's finally happening - so excited I can't wait!

We will be driving through France and into Spain, and hope to meet up at Camping Pinar San Jose in Zahora with you all for the Christmas week - ish, from about 20th December to 2nd January. Would you recommend booking - I am willing to risk my very bad Spanish and try to book by phone, if I can't get through to Carmen, that is.

Not having been to this kind of thing before, what sort of things should we bring - do you all cook a huge Christmas dinner together or what? It does sound fun, and we would love to join in. Please add us to the list!

with very best wishes, see you all there, love from Bouncer 123, :RollEyes:

Last edited:

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
Hi, Penelope Pitstop and Rex, well we are finally at the 'nearly getting going' date on our 'Long-terming' adventure! (We met briefly at a potential full timers meet quite a long time ago now, it seems ages!!) But now it's finally happening - so excited I can't wait!

We will be driving through France and into Spain, and hope to meet up at Camping Pinar San Jose in Zahora with you all for the Christmas week - ish, from about 20th December to 2nd January. Would you recommend booking - I am willing to risk my very bad Spanish and try to book by phone, if I can't get through to Carmen, that is.

Not having been to this kind of thing before, what sort of things should we bring - do you all cook a huge Christmas dinner together or what? It does sound fun, and we would love to join in. Please add us to the list!

with very best wishes, see you all there, love from Bouncer 123, :RollEyes:

Brilliant!! Look forward to seeing you there!

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
Latest list!

Updated list - October 8th

Hilldweller (Brian and Dinah)--Dec
Keith (and Jean)--Dec
Us! ( Marie and Rex)-- Oct hopefully ( depends on NHS!)
Ant&Debs--Oct
Jackomet--Oct
Rayb182 ( Ray and Geri) - Dec
Trevosky--?
NannyJan -- Oct hopefully!
Blondi (Pete and Di) - end Jan / beg Feb
Bryan and Suzy - ASAP
Scotties (Richard and Gay) - - New Year?
harryoxford2 -
madbluemad -
bouncer123 - Christmas

Any more???

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Latest list!

Updated list - October 8th

Hilldweller (Brian and Dinah)--Dec
Keith (and Jean)--Dec
Us! ( Marie and Rex)-- Oct hopefully ( depends on NHS!)
Ant&Debs--Oct
Jackomet--Oct
Rayb182 ( Ray and Geri) - Dec
Trevosky--?
NannyJan -- Oct hopefully!
Blondi (Pete and Di) - end Jan / beg Feb
Bryan and Suzy - ASAP
Scotties (Richard and Gay) - - New Year?
harryoxford2 -
madbluemad -
bouncer123 - Christmas

Any more???

Uncle Tom Cobbley an all? :Doh::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi Marie and Rex, am trying to get things sorted so that I can sneak away after christmas.Normaly am gone mid Oct but the girls are giving me a hard time about being home for Christmas.If I get away begining of Jan I should be with you begining of Feb some time.It normaly takes me about a month to transit France and Spain depending on the weather.So put me down provisionaly for first week of Feb please,will only be staying about a month as I want to be in Morocco begining of March.

trevosky

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Street, Somerset
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
on and off 16 years plus
Going to be there

Thats it time booked off from work,finish 6pm 23dec,dependent on how many beers that night should be on road about 10.30 am 24th and with you all around 2pm that afternoon:Smile:. Looking forward to it allready:thumb:.All the best,Trev,Sue and Titchie.

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
Thats it time booked off from work,finish 6pm 23dec,dependent on how many beers that night should be on road about 10.30 am 24th and with you all around 2pm that afternoon:Smile:. Looking forward to it allready:thumb:.All the best,Trev,Sue and Titchie.

Great stuff! See you all on Christmas Eve! :thumb::thumb::thumb:

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
Well that's it! I've gone and done it! I've booked the ferry! :thumb::thumb:

Portsmouth to Santander - October 27th

Only ever done that ferry in a car and that was from Plymouth!:Eeek:

So, all you in the know! What's all this about staying in the lanes at the docks over night?:Smile:

What time can you do it from?:Smile:

Ant&Debs

Free Member
Jun 24, 2009
Alvorge,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Rockwood Fiver
Exp
2 years long time ago
Hi Marie

As you go into the docks and you'll see check in lanes. Keep to the left along side the wall/barrier and you should be fine as they dont put up which lanes are for which sailings until they are about to open the booths.

Ant &Debs

Ant&Debs

Free Member
Jun 24, 2009
Alvorge,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Rockwood Fiver
Exp
2 years long time ago
Hi Marie

Yes we arrived this afternoon, but only just 700 meters from the site wheelbearing on 5ver destroyed itself and the wheel almost came off. Site staff so helpful and big motorhome fun thank you to michael for helping me the loan of a trolley jack and helping to remove the wheel so we could limp on to site. we are parked just past reception and will sort out a pitch tomorrow.

Ant&Debs

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
Hi Marie

Yes we arrived this afternoon, but only just 700 meters from the site wheelbearing on 5ver destroyed itself and the wheel almost came off. Site staff so helpful and big motorhome fun thank you to michael for helping me the loan of a trolley jack and helping to remove the wheel so we could limp on to site. we are parked just past reception and will sort out a pitch tomorrow.

Ant&Debs

Oh dear! That's awful! :Sad:
At least you were near your destination - could have been a lot worse on the Sevilla ring road!!!:Eeek:

Trust Michael to be the hero!! He's a star that man!!:thumb:

I've just booked the ferry tonight - 27th September - Portsmouth to Santander - should be in Zahora around the 31st!! Yippeeee!!

Love to all that's there! Maureen and Mick, Mary and Derek and of course Carmen!!

:roflmto:

degzy

Free Member
Feb 1, 2009
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
Since 2008
Hola

Hi Marie::bigsmile: can't wait for you & Rex to join us here in Zahora. Bit rainy at the mo but will soon clear up.

Patricio has started to put concrete slabs onto some of the very soft pitches, he did ours on the day we arrived so were able to drive on with ease the next day:Smile:.

Have you booked your pitch yet? Good idea to let Carmen know your eta.

As you know Ant & Debs arrived in style yesterday!! All here keen to help them out in true Funster style.

Hasta luego Mary Derek & Josh

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back