The New Motorhome Travel Journal is open (1 Viewer)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
OK I've opened the journal, It's going to become a great asset I'm sure. if you have any questions ask away in this thread, However I likely won't answer this evening because, I'll be honest, I'm sick of the sight of it. :D. Enjoy

1675110124255.png

1675108155719.png

1675108757685.png

NOW YOU HAVE CREATED A JOURNAL YOU'LL BE ABLE TO CREATE A JOURNAL ENTRY FOR IT.

1675108973169.png

1675109065861.png

1675109142273.png

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
First question,

When entering the journal search, my understanding is that, if selected, a journal can create a spot on the map.

Is it possible to view the whole map (in future) and select one of those spots which will then take you to the journal entry (assuming it is public) and then read that part of the journal

I m just thinking of when we get to a town I currently do a word search of that town, whereas if this were possible I might see something on the way to that town that perks my interest.

Cheers in advance

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
One thing that has changed since I shot the video is that you can decide under each entry if you want to allow people to rate the entry. Or if you want to allow a thread of comments below it. It entirely up to you for each entry (y)

Is it possible to view the whole map (in future)

Yes, you will be able to click on a category, say UK and see evey journal entry on a map which will appear with the entries, its below the entries at the moment, but may well appear at the top later.

Click on the category UK tours and look at the bottom, you'll see what I mean

1675111773489.png

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
One thing that has changed since I shot the video is that you can decide under each entry if you want to allow people to rate the entry. Or if you want to allow a thread of comment below. It entirely up to you for each entry (y)

Yes, you will be able to click on a category, say UK and see evey journal entry on a map which will appear with the entries, its below the entries at the moment, but may well appear at the top later.

Click on the category UK tours and look at the bottom, you'll see what I mean

View attachment 711737
Wow, just wow.

• Thanks
Reactions: Jim
OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Whenever you post a journal entry, a new thread will be created, informing people the entry has been made. That discussion thread becomes part of the journal entry and can be seen within it.

1675143927541.png

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Looks very comprehensive (y)
Is there a print option, for us crusties who like a paper copy?

Yes, subscribers who order one get a free paper Journal/yearbook every year

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I think I have just created a journal. "Belgium 10 days"
Added some photos and a link and some text
What I failed to get right is the map and link it into a category (Continental)

Worked it out !

Last edited:

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Have managed to start a journal (as per above) and added days 2 3 and 4 as if I were on holiday now and keeping a log. (practice for next month)

It seems (to me) the extra pages are not easy for the reader to find. They are located at the bottom of the "post" but could easily be scanned past. I ve put "Link for the next part of the journey is right below here" just above the link as this is new and people might not realise there is an extra page or 2 or 3 on my journal.

At present there are 4 pages for those trying to read it as I get used to it

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Jim
As you are aware, had a play today and hopefully overnight as well.
Think I am using it as it is intended.
Couple of questions about the mapping.

I worked out how to put a spot on the map for page 1 (Bergues) by Selecting "Bergues" and allowing Google to place it for me. Is it possible to move this spot to the aire or should i choose "Bergues camping car" and it will probably find the aire which may be a better spot on the map ?

When I got to pages 2 (maison du canal) 3 (tournai by canal) 4 (see through church) and 5 (Cycling through a lake) I cant see how I add a spot/marker onto the map. I have butchered this by means of a snipping tool of a map at the moment, but I can see the benefits of more of the spots/markers in future. Seeking advice on this one

I also added at the bottom of each entry "Link for the next part of the journey is right below here" as the next page selection can be overread (imv) and perhaps changing the colour of the "Next Page" or making it Bold will highlight the viewer to further information

As you can gather. I love it. Absolutely cracking job

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
(y) You get to put a marker on the map for each journal entry. So if you want that itinery to show your route on the map, you need to make a journal entry for each of them along with a photo and some text.

So it's a Journal, and then entries in the journal and that put marks on the map. The pages are just for additional information, "About us" "Previous Trips". that type of thing (y)

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
(y) You get to put a marker on the map for each journal entry. So if you want that itinery to show your route on the map, you need to make a journal entry for each of them along with a photo and some text.

So it's a Journal, and then entries in the journal and that put marks on the map. The pages are just for additional information, "About us" "Previous Trips". that type of thing (y)
So when I "add a page" to an existing journal that doesnt create a new mapping opportunity and I should create a different journal for each day ?

eg 14 day trip, 14 separate journals or one journal with 14 different pages

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
So when I "add a page" to an existing journal that doesnt create a new mapping opportunity and I should create a different journal for each day ?

eg 14 day trip, 14 separate journals or one journal with 14 different pages

Yep 1 journal, with 14 entries. Pages are not journal entries they are just a way to add a bit more information about you.

Remember Journals are normally filled in real time, so you travel, stay somewhere for a couple of days, make an entry in the journal and so on, move, camp repeat (y). Us back home following along.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Yep 1 journal, with 14 entries. Pages are not journal entries they are just a way to add a bit more information about you.

Remember Journals are normally filled in real time, so you travel, stay somewhere for a couple of days, make an entry in the journal and so on, move, camp repeat (y). Us back home following along.
Cheers Jim.

I just found the "View full entry" button for viewers which makes it an easier read if doing a travel log as all 5 pages appear one after the other without the need to find the next page.

1675198124581.png

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
It's a shame all but one 'journal' can't be read.

I'm sure there may have been some useful info.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
It's a shame all but one 'journal' can't be read.

I'm sure there may have been some useful info.

Its just people messing with it at the moment. As soon as people start going away, it's there for them to use if they wish (y)

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
I’ve just looked at the journal menu, it suggests 22 entries in the journal menu.

When I click on it there is just one to view being suavecarve journal Bergues but all I can see is the one photo and the title.

There appears to be 2 pages but if I click on page 2 there is nothing visible too.

Am I guessing there are 22 new journals created, the above has no entries other than what I’ve described and the rest are private so I cannot see them?

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I think it's more that people don't know how to create them properly. Mine was open to view all afternoon, I have only just closed it, and it wasn't even visible to me via the forum.
I saw yours if it was to do with clothing if that helps

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I’ve just looked at the journal menu, it suggests 22 entries in the journal menu.

When I click on it there is just one to view being suavecarve journal Bergues but all I can see is the one photo and the title.

There appears to be 2 pages but if I click on page 2 there is nothing visible too.

Am I guessing there are 22 new journals created, the above has no entries other than what I’ve described and the rest are private so I cannot see them?
Click Journals in the navigation on the left
Select Bergues (only choice at the moment)
Then at the top I can see "Page Event details" which is a drop down menu and then select View Full Entry

I suspect all the others are in private mode whilst playing with the new system. All my information is already on here so I am just using this as a learning experience and dont mind it being public

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Click Journals in the navigation on the left
Select Bergues (only choice at the moment)
Then at the top I can see "Page Event details" which is a drop down menu and then select View Full Entry

I suspect all the others are in private mode whilst playing with the new system. All my information is already on here so I am just using this as a learning experience and dont mind it being public
Got that suavecarve thanks. When you said select the journal, I di£nt expect to click on the photo to take me to it so that’s what fooled me before.

When you said see next page below did you mean the 2 entries below and do you think if you add more items that page will become longer.

As you have to create a new journal for for each place visited, as suggested by Jim, then this is a bit like my ‘Post It’ stories and then you could add more comments below. I may give this a try.

PS just seen your next page, nothing to do with my last paragraph above as I’d viewed it in full there were no next pages, only the 2 comments 😜

Last edited:

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
When you said see next page below did you mean the 2 entries below and do you think if you add more items that page will become longer.
What i was doing in my amateur investigation of the journals functions was adding a page, but what I noticed was that the extra pages were easy to miss so at the end of each page I was just adding a direction as, at that stage, in order to view the canal du maison bit you had to click a link.

But now, with the "View all" this bit of information and direction is not necessary, so in all likelihood, I will delete it in due course, and try to tidy it up overnight with some of Jim's tricks in his video to make it a bit more readable.

And when I add some more (again hopefully overnight) the view all page will just become bigger (I think)

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
Hello Jim. Is it possible for the originator to delete a journal? I'm just thinking that lots of people will be experimenting with the journal but won't want to keep their early efforts.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back