The dreadful blue lights (on the fridge...) (1 Viewer)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
and thats another annoying thing, why do people with Growlers leave their blue lights on full when, I believe, there is the facility to put it on half brightness?
This may not seem much unless one is parked directly in front of said van and the bl**dy light keeps flashing in the crack around one's blinds!
Leave it on full brightness when at home but low when away and we need to set it

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Stick a bit of electrical tape over it.
Easy to remove the tape when needed, and doesn't leave any glue residue.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
My blue ones are for the 4x 12v sockets. There is also a plugin voltage reader in one at high level which are red numerals. Below them & the most annoying one is the blue numeric readout for the leaisure voltage. I have to cover that with something it is so annoying.
The other side are 2 x led lights on charge that have red/green lights depending on dtste of charge .The fridge internal temperature numerals are red as are the cut in/out condenser fan ones. I have to turn off the "auto" on the maxxfan as that is bright green. The smoke & Co2 alarms are red but rarely bother me.
The routers 7 blue lights don't bother me as they are behind & above me. there are many more lights in the cab but fortunately the curtains are pulled across so nullifying them.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
and thats another annoying thing, why do people with Growlers leave their blue lights on full when, I believe, there is the facility to put it on half brightness?
This may not seem much unless one is parked directly in front of said van and the bl**dy light keeps flashing in the crack around one's blinds!
We set ours on dim in storage and on full when travelling.
Which means in a campsite they are on full by default.
However we don't have the alarm/blue lights on at night as we are inside the van!

Mar 9, 2022
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E412
Exp
Since 2007
Tea towel over the blue fridge lights; cushions blocking the red flashing light on the dashboard for the door locks; flat cap over the strobe-flasher smoke/CO alarm; gaffer tape over the Truma power light - thatā€™s MoHo life!!

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
The only blue flashing light we have inside the van is the alarm system when set but internal sensors are off. My yellow fluorescent waistcoat covers that as itā€™s always beside me when driving. The control panel is behind a wooden flap and the fridge control lights are covered by the door.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
How on earth can Dometic think that having bright blue LEDs on all the time for a campervan/caravan fridge is a good idea? A real case of the product designer obviously having no clue about how it is used...
View attachment 669608
Once your eyes get used to the dark, you can see everything inside the van in the blue glow.
I put black electrical tape over them on our first night in the van - anyone else got a better solution?

cheers,

Robin
Not just Dometic our Thetford is the same disturbs my sleep pattern thinking of some yellow cellophane over the bulb inside the housing

OP
OP
rwg

rwg

Sep 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
Benivan 120
Exp
Since 2021
It honestly makes you think that people who design these vehicles (and the things that go into them) have never actually used a motorhome in their lives... :(

Another favourite gripe of mine is things that beep with no way to turn off the beep. I had a very handy travel alarm clock, back in the days before everyone used a phone for alarms. It was great. It only lit up when you pressed a button, so they got that part right, but it *beeped* when you pressed the light button. Fabulous... Middle of the night, want to see what time it is? Wake up the missus because the clock beeps when you turn on the light.

cheers,

Robin

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Not just Dometic our Thetford is the same disturbs my sleep pattern thinking of some yellow cellophane over the bulb inside the housing

Felt tip pen on the outside is much easier (but not completely obliterated). :unsure:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Christmas is coming ... eat the Quality Street and use the wrappers! :giggle:

Shida mingi

Free Member
Nov 8, 2021
Funster No
MH
CaraCompact
Strip of black foam sheet from Hobbycraft and two pairs of self adhesive velcro dots sorted ours. Easy to get to the controls and blocks the blue light show.

Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
My wife made a ā€œfridge flapā€ when we had the same problem in our last 2 caravans. Black material on Velcro that hung over it.
Now in the Malibu I put black tape over the solar control box and have a sheet of card for the control panel which has 3 neons!
I had a letter published a few years ago complaining in one of the mags.
Agree that the designers are not aware or donā€™t care.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2016
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670SLS
Exp
A long time
We had this issue when we had a Savannah. You can prize the led cover off quite easily with a fine blade screwdriver.
I bought an assorted pack of stage spotlight filters. Cut a dark one up to fit inside the lens and re-assembled, job done.
If you don't feel confident in taking the lens off, stick a bit outside with sellotape.
Our Adria has the same lights but they are covered when the door is closed so no problem now.

Sep 10, 2020
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autograph 69-2
Exp
Moved over to the Dark Side after 16 yrs tugging.
Black tape over the fridge lights
Black tape over the 12 power socket / adaptor to the TV
Black tape over the red LED for the USB charger above the hab door
Black tape over the red microwave LEDs
Black tape over the blue power LED to the TV signal amplifier
Black tape over the red LED on the PIR detector in the hab area (although I may remove this as when it comes it can help me see, when I get up at 4am for a loo call.)
Black tape over the CO2 and fire alarms. (They buzz if the battery is going flat and make a loud noise if they go off as they are designed to do, so who needs flashing LEDs,)

Nature turns the lights off at night and turns them on slowly in the morning for a reason. Let's not let the techno nerds bugxxxer it up.
And don't get me started on the inconsiderate ones who leave their hab door external lights on all night!!!
Night should be night and day be day. But that's only one opinion, others are available from other MHers.

Jun 21, 2015
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Burstner ellegance
Exp
How on earth can Dometic think that having bright blue LEDs on all the time for a campervan/caravan fridge is a good idea? A real case of the product designer obviously having no clue about how it is used...
View attachment 669608
Once your eyes get used to the dark, you can see everything inside the van in the blue glow.
I put black electrical tape over them on our first night in the van - anyone else got a better solution?

cheers,

Robin
You can buy a tape from eBay that blocks out the light. Works perfectly on mine

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
At ,night ,we have a routine of folding up the tea towel and it just fits nicely between the top of the fridge and the housing and covers the lights.
Otherwise the lights illuminate the whole van.

Oct 17, 2021
Maidstone, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since September 2020
My partner cannot sleep with a tiny light on no matter how small (Dashboard central locking, microwave, fridge, radio alarm etc)!!!

Initially we used black insulation tape but it can leave a sticky residue so I bought a pack of these which you can easily remove:
Amazon product ASIN B092LLL4DQ
In case the link doesnā€™t work, it is a pack of 20 pvc plastic suckers.

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
Blue tack or sticky tape over the lights. The worse one is the lighting on the control panel which is blue/red lights that reflects off the sodding fridge mirrored surface straight towards me sleeping in the back beds along with the fridge blue lights.

Whoever designed that never slept in the back, our Cathargo had a smoked plastic cover for the control panel but the Laika didn't so a bit of tape and an old business card sorted that out.

Nov 1, 2021
Lanarkshire, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Burstner IXEO Time
Exp
Complete newbie
View attachment 669608

cheers,

Robin
Really glad you posted this as itā€™s a constant bugbear. Interested to see everyoneā€™s solutions. At present we trap a piece of heavy towel in the cupboard above the fridge and let it hang over the blue lights. Likewise for the control panel which has 3 nice shiny white lights which are like search lights at night. Works ok but not very elegant. Plus the fact you are always in bed when you realise the covers havenā€™t been fitted!!

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Luckily, our control panel defaults to a black screen when not in use.

Like you, on my Murvi, the control panel is dull unless I press something and my smoke and gas alarms only flash for milliseconds and never in my eyeline! :Grin:

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Started in 2013
Our microwave gives off the most light at night from the digital clock if we forget to close the compartment door. Fridge and usb ports with blue lights don't bother me (I can sleep in full light) but my wife prefers them covered. All down to what keeps you awake at night I suppose.........Me "nothing" Wife everything!! most nights I couldn't even tell you the colour of the pillow ;-)

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Our van must have been one of the last off the production line with no electronic control panel (2014). Just rocker switches to switch something off or on if wanted, simple, understandable and reliable. Even the fridge just had a rotary selector switch before I converted it to compressor šŸ˜ŽšŸ‘Œ

These electronic screens made by 2 bit electronic companies really are a downgrade. Mind you there would be virtually no Tech/mech forum without them šŸ˜†

Jan 3, 2013
St.Neots Cambs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I-414
Exp
2002-2006, 2013-current
Now that is interesting-we are on the ferry back from France and the van in front of us had a blue light flashing on the rear bumper-I wondered what it was and now I know. The fridge on our van (Thetford) only has a tiny led on the on/off button which you canā€™t see at night. However, when the gas decides not to re light on the burner you get a whole flashing light show-turn fridge off and on again and all is well-apart from the fact you have to get out of bed to do it!

Nov 10, 2020
Glasgow, UK
Funster No
MH
Globecar Roadscout
Exp
Since 2017
The panel with our fridge lights is mounted on the wall, right above the hob/sink, so I have the same problem. I didn't want to tape over it as I want to be able to check which 'mode' the fridge is on and the temperature level whenever I want. When we go to bed, I lean the chopping board against it, which blocks out most of the light but can easily be removed in the morning.

Recently, I used a yellow sticky note to cover the red light on the control panel which indicates that the 12V is on. That helped a bit at night but it meant that I didn't notice and forgot to switch off the 12V when we got home from our last trip.

Apr 23, 2020
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2012
Can I just bring you all back in the room!!
The world is in chaos,our country is now in the hands of mad people and you are debating blue lights???
Please read the news and horror people are facing

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back