The dreadful blue lights (on the fridge...) (2 Viewers)

rwg

Sep 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
Benivan 120
Exp
Since 2021
How on earth can Dometic think that having bright blue LEDs on all the time for a campervan/caravan fridge is a good idea? A real case of the product designer obviously having no clue about how it is used...
PXL_20220925_204445486.jpg
Once your eyes get used to the dark, you can see everything inside the van in the blue glow.
I put black electrical tape over them on our first night in the van - anyone else got a better solution?

cheers,

Robin

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
As Lenny the door closes over mine, also I use drop down bed so reading lights also drop down but I do have a usb/12v multi socket for tv with blue lights that help me stumble for relief at night ;)

Feb 6, 2019
Santa Maria de Palautordera, Barcelona, Spain
Funster No
MH
LMC Liberty 560 1992
Exp
Since 2017
Maybe we're supposed to be dragged by these shiny lights back to wakefulness regularly to feel secure that the fridge is working? I have an AA powered CO monitor that flashes every several minutes with a green light and am happy to see it- though it reminds me I need a mattress topper for the lower bed cos why am I awake?!!

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I have never understood why they use blue LEDs inside a van.
They should be like boats, all red LEDs which does not destroy your night vision, and that you can sleep through.

The only blue LEDs on a motorhome should be the external alarm system

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
The only blue LEDs on a motorhome should be the external alarm system

and thats another annoying thing, why do people with Growlers leave their blue lights on full when, I believe, there is the facility to put it on half brightness?
This may not seem much unless one is parked directly in front of said van and the bl**dy light keeps flashing in the crack around one's blinds!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
How on earth can Dometic think that having bright blue LEDs on all the time for a campervan/caravan fridge is a good idea? A real case of the product designer obviously having no clue about how it is used...
View attachment 669608
Once your eyes get used to the dark, you can see everything inside the van in the blue glow.
I put black electrical tape over them on our first night in the van - anyone else got a better solution?

cheers,

Robin
Maybe the designer was a closet 'R White' lemonade drinker and wanted to be able to find the fridge at night! :giggle:

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
and thats another annoying thing, why do people with Growlers leave their blue lights on full when, I believe, there is the facility to put it on half brightness?
This may not seem much unless one is parked directly in front of said van and the bl**dy light keeps flashing in the crack around one's blinds!
On drive parked up..full lights
Daytime….. full lights
On a rally/site/aire night time …half lights
👍👍👍👍

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
We have blue lights at the end of the underlocker light strips that are always on, they do not bother us if we are tired we can sleep through most things, probably even getting gassed in the van. 😁

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
On ours it's the control panel lights that annoy me. On the other hand if we shut all the blinds it's easy to oversleep as you don't realise how light it's getting outside

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
On ours it's the control panel lights that annoy me. On the other hand if we shut all the blinds it's easy to oversleep as you don't realise how light it's getting outside
You can't oversleep in a Motorhome you just wake up when you do, on holiday who cares what time it is.
And being retired the same at home. :LOL:

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
View attachment 669608

cheers,

Robin
Only got one blue light (the on/off indicator) must be an old model or maybe there is a way of turning the others off and a strategically placed tea towel deals with it nicely . . . .

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Don't notice them as the fridge door closes on top of them. Far worse are the blue LED's in the cab reading lights that are perminantly on.
I put a switch on mine and tape over fridge leds😊

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Most strange that people who fall asleep in the reclining chair outside their van in full sunlight can't sleep at night with a blue LED light somewhere glowing in the van.:unsure:

I'm a very light sleeper and there's a vast difference between a constant light and an intermittent strobe light.
Constant, I can sleep though, intermittent wakes me? (Which is why alarm clocks with light flash I suppose?) :unsure:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I find it silly that some interior lights (ie reading lights) stay on all the time, surely they are draining the power, albeit a small amount.

As for annoying lights, the fridge ones are okay as they door covers them but the ones for the smoke and CO detectors flash occasionally which are right in my eye line if I sleep on my left side and even with my eyes closed I can sometimes see a bit of a glint from them (even when asleep your eyes are not always fully shut). The ones that do annoy me are the control panel lights as again when I@m on my right side I see them even though they are a good 10ft away.

In the PVCs we used to put a small blob of blue-tac over the control panel single light but the worse one in those was the alarm on the dash which flashed constantly and was blooming bright! The only way to deal with that was to put a cushion behind it so it reduced the 'flash' in the camper but still allowed it to show outside under the blinds etc.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I find it silly that some interior lights (ie reading lights) stay on all the time, surely they are draining the power, albeit a small amount.

As for annoying lights, the fridge ones are okay as they door covers them but the ones for the smoke and CO detectors flash occasionally which are right in my eye line if I sleep on my left side and even with my eyes closed I can sometimes see a bit of a glint from them (even when asleep your eyes are not always fully shut). The ones that do annoy me are the control panel lights as again when I@m on my right side I see them even though they are a good 10ft away.

In the PVCs we used to put a small blob of blue-tac over the control panel single light but the worse one in those was the alarm on the dash which flashed constantly and was blooming bright! The only way to deal with that was to put a cushion behind it so it reduced the 'flash' in the camper but still allowed it to show outside under the blinds etc.

Most things can be cured by gaffer tape, just not all! :giggle:

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
For all those bothered by lights, I recommend a soft stretchy fleece headband pulled down over your eyes. I have got Sleephones in order to listen to something to send me to sleep but, on its own, the fleecy headband is a wonderful comforting blackout against the fridge lights, the alarm light, the control panel light the overhead smoke detector, the lower CO detector, the lpg detector, the blue led inside the 2 USB adapters and any pesky morning sun through a forgotten roof blind!

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We have the Dometic Tech Tower and the freezer and fridge door do overlap the lights. But they still shine through to a certain extent. However, we have a sliding door between the bedroom and kitchen so it does not bother us.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
For all those bothered by lights, I recommend a soft stretchy fleece headband pulled down over your eyes. I have got Sleephones in order to listen to something to send me to sleep but, on its own, the fleecy headband is a wonderful comforting blackout against the fridge lights, the alarm light, the control panel light the overhead smoke detector, the lower CO detector, the lpg detector, the blue led inside the 2 USB adapters and any pesky morning sun through a forgotten roof blind!
If you haven't got a headband you could use a covid mask ... :LOL:

1664185956792.png

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Don't see our Dometic fridge lights because, like others, they are hidden when the door is closed.

But on previous van control panel lights were very bright. So made a simple cardboard top-hung flap attached with tape which covered the light very effectively.

Remember when we traded the van in, I'd forgotten to remove it. The manager at the dealer, when inspecting the condition of the motorhome said - "What's that!"

He just chuckled when I explained. (y)

Reactions: rwg
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Blimey, some of you must be light sleepers. I regularly snuggle into bed, stretch out, mutter my habitual: "Oooh, my lovvvely bed" and am away with the fairies before I've reached up to turn off the overhead reading light. :giggle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back