Deceased RIP
Aug 27, 2007
East Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Too Long
My brother in law lives in Spain and is dependant on certain tablets for his health, he is registered at the same doctors surgery as us, and when he comes over once a year to visit, he pops in has any tests needed and gets his repeat prescriptions all sorted out for the next year. As long as he has a valid prescription the Spanish pharmacies will supply it for him. In the uk you just take it to your nearest chemist to get it.

After a 2 month holiday in our van earlier this year we would love to do more long term travelling but at the moment the kids and dogs make this impossible, but the plans are there. Who knows we might end up more van than house based in a few years time, rent the house and go where we want to.

Glenn's parents sold their house, banked the money and took off in a caravan for 18 months when they were in their mid 70's, only going back into a house when neither could drive due to bad eyes. They had a great time and were always sorry when it came to an end.

We don't want to wait that long.

We are both in our mid seventies and on permanent medication. When we winter for about five months we take 3 months supply with us and buy the other months over the counter in the local pharmacies.

We have a copy of our prescriptions and have bought medication all over Europe and Turkey. You will usually find an English speaking member of staff in most pharmacies in the popular areas. We have never had a problem obtaining our medication.

Don

nahnotme

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Funster No
moan moan moan.... who me ?

Heres a few down sides Ive come across in my 3 months full timing, OK I know its not long but Ive no bolt hole to fall back on so Ide say im fulltiming.
Admittedly most of these are due to me not having the money for a spanking new MH with all the whistles and bells like most. In fact I have a coach conversion worth a couple of grand.
1) a constant bad back from inferior sleeping arrangements.
2) endless power cuts, again due to inferior relay, no solar power and not a lot of traveling due to the price of deisel, oh thats another !
3)Snobishnes, refusal on campsites because my unit isnt off a production line.
4) un-expected repair bills, just had a pre MOT inspection and have to find £2000 for repairs, the bus its self is worth little more.
5)The constant droning of traffic and rocking as every one speeds past, again no problem if you can afford campsites, but at the mo I seem to live in laybies as there are no such things in the UK as aires.
6) nightmares finding insurance, as a full timing, entertainer having to have bussiness use, and a non proprietory vehichle and again getting a recovery scheme due to weight.
7) Driving something big enough to live in and the way artics own those country roads.
I could go on but the inverters going off now, and it looks like I gotta go and find me a flat !!

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Heres a few down sides Ive come across in my 3 months full timing, OK I know its not long but Ive no bolt hole to fall back on so Ide say im fulltiming.
Admittedly most of these are due to me not having the money for a spanking new MH with all the whistles and bells like most. In fact I have a coach conversion worth a couple of grand.
1) a constant bad back from inferior sleeping arrangements.
2) endless power cuts, again due to inferior relay, no solar power and not a lot of traveling due to the price of deisel, oh thats another !
4) un-expected repair bills, just had a pre MOT inspection and have to find £2000 for repairs, the bus its self is worth little more.
5)The constant droning of traffic and rocking as every one speeds past, again no problem if you can afford campsites, but at the mo I seem to live in laybies as there are no such things in the UK as aires.
6) nightmares finding insurance, as a full timing, entertainer having to have bussiness use, and a non proprietory vehichle and again getting a recovery scheme due to weight.
7) Driving something big enough to live in and the way artics own those country roads.
I could go on but the inverters going off now, and it looks like I gotta go and find me a flat !!

Apart from this would you say you are generally enjoying it?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
No its not.

Its sitting in the motorhome when its pouring with rain and you've nothing to do and the kids are getting on your nerves and the wife is watching an hour long edition of Emmerdale...........................HELP:shout:

OP
OP
B

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Heres a few down sides Ive come across in my 3 months full timing
Interesting post!

In respect to number 3 on your list, i'd have to say i wouldn't even want to bother going on a site full of folk like that! Had the experience of snoots when i used to be a tugger and towed an old caravan. But where i toured endless miles with it.....they tugged a few miles from home to the nearest beach campsite, sat there for a week or two, then tugged back home and stuffed it back in the drive for yet another year!

My campervan is fifteen years old, pretty basic and simple, but has toured the Outer Hebrides, and as far east to the Ukraine border, plus its in daily use. A guy living in my neighbourhood owns a huge RV with all the 'bells 'n whistles'....but the damn thing spends most of its 'life' stuck in his drive!

nahnotme

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Funster No
Heres a few more that ive though of, however on balance I AM PREFERING THIS LIFE STYLE.....today !!
A) Un expected repairs, make sure you get a second opinion by someone who knows what to look for, ive just found my undercarriage needs 1-2 grand spending on it to pass the MOT.
B) p**s taking, nothing I cant cope with but mates calling me a Itinerant or a Itinerant now is wearing thin.
C) Toilets...finding one. lets just say a macerator is on the list, admittedly near the bottom...ehem.
D)poor internet access, how companies can say dongles are for mobile broadband because they are neither.
E)Parking, especially in towns, why is it the streets that have no lines on are always in red light areas ????
F)Charging things, my life revolves around constantly charging gadgets and equipment.
G) Security / insecurity, from worrying about break ins to worrying about getting moved on.
H) NIMBYS, dirty looks from people when you park withing 100 yards of thier property for more than a few hours.
I) Head aches, due to having a 5 foot 11 internal height and being 6 foot 1, my skull and the light fittings are always banging into each other.
J) Post, getting redirected mail, not regular enough, so loosing track on bills, deadlines, business, finances. etc etc.
K) increased mobile phone bills, mines gone from about £40 a month to about £100, why ??? free phone numbers.
L) Personal hygiene.......I NEED A SHOWER FITTING, me and flannels dont get on, which leads me back to my under carriage, no I'll not bother.

Anyway onwards and upwards....today I am mostly....HAPPY...ish

Last edited:

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
No its not.

Its sitting in the motorhome when its pouring with rain and you've nothing to do and the kids are getting on your nerves and the wife is watching an hour long edition of Emmerdale...........................HELP:shout:

:Cool: That's easily sorted. Kick the Wife and kids out and watch whatever you want to watch. :winky:

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
:Cool: That's easily sorted. Kick the Wife and kids out and watch whatever you want to watch. :winky:

No you got it wrong........I would be OK with the lot of them

IF ONLY

we didn't have a telly

M

Marion

Deleted User
We're fulltiming and loving it.

We sold the house - it's a very British thing, this concept that ownership of bricks and mortar is somehow an essential. Mostly it's just the perception of security.

There are lots of reasons to fulltime, many of which have been made on this and other similar threads.

But one of the big deciders for me, anyway was this:

'Would you rather die regretting what you HAVE done, or what you HAVEN'T?'

Baldy

Free Member
May 8, 2008
The open road
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
officially since 22 feb 2010
The wife and I have been full timing in one form or another since 2002, We sold up and purchased an offshore cruiser(it's a boat) only 37 foot long, nice in summer but a wee bit damp in the winter. We are now in a caravan, (yes we are tuggers):winky: We have looked at the RV and Motorhome option. deep down in the dark recesses of my soul:Blush: I would still like one, but on a practical note, the lump of aluminium being tugged around behind my 4x4, suits our requirements.

So yes, do your research fully, allow for any eventuality. Full timing is definitely not for everyone. I for one love it and have no intention of going back into a stone box that cannot move, and in the current economic climate, :Eeek:would lose money in a heartbeat. I also love the fact that when touring, if I don't like my neighbours, I can move to another site:ROFLMAO:

My caravan, my home, may not be the prettiest, nor the most expensive, but I love it. :thumb:

OP
OP
B

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Difficulty in obtaining insurance when fulltiming in a mh appears to be one of the main points mentioned on the thread. Assuming you sold off your property and had no 'fixed' address in the UK, what insurance company did you use and approx what were the costs?
Was there any problems once you informed them you were actually living in a mh 365 days a year?

Aug 18, 2008
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since Jan 2008
Full timing

Hi
We are true full timers.
Most of your questions have been answered by the helpful, friendly RV crowd.
Have done the narrowboat - it is as cheap as RV and great fun too - similar people, same idea just on water - might go back to it one day. Enjoying RV too much at the moment.:Smile:
RV full time is what you make it, its a fantastic real world with like minded people.:thumb: Yes there are the moaners and groaners - their problem.:ROFLMAO:
So many friendly people - so much help and advice - its an amazing world.::bigsmile:
Go for it and enjoy
Cheers
Jaen

derek h

Free Member
May 29, 2008
Funster No
Not sure if this has been covered on this post. But I think it is "Full Timer" related.
Now that I have reached a 'certain age', I'm finding that the body is fighting back, things closing down, you know, bits needing a little help.
Now I need regular prescriptions, annual pacemaker checkups and the like.
The pacemaker thing is not a huge problem, your told the next check up date a year in advance. So getting home for that is easy enough. Note to self, get date changed from Feb to August, warmer rain. Prescriptions, a little different. Once upon a time you were given 3 months worth at a time. Now, just 4 weeks.
I don't think the stuff I take is highly expensive, inhaler, blood pressure etc, so maybe purchase abroad would be possible ?
How do full timers get over this problem ?
If I knew I was going to live this long, I would have looked after myself a little better.

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
Hi

Just heard two more stories of OAPs being social housed. One a fulltimer last time we were on this site got a council bungalow in a lovely village within a month and another, a friend of my mums sold her house, got sheltered housing and is now financially secure

stew

Don Madge

Deceased RIP
Aug 27, 2007
East Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Too Long
Not sure if this has been covered on this post. But I think it is "Full Timer" related.
Now that I have reached a 'certain age', I'm finding that the body is fighting back, things closing down, you know, bits needing a little help.
Now I need regular prescriptions, annual pacemaker checkups and the like.
The pacemaker thing is not a huge problem, your told the next check up date a year in advance. So getting home for that is easy enough. Note to self, get date changed from Feb to August, warmer rain. Prescriptions, a little different. Once upon a time you were given 3 months worth at a time. Now, just 4 weeks.
I don't think the stuff I take is highly expensive, inhaler, blood pressure etc, so maybe purchase abroad would be possible ?
How do full timers get over this problem ?
If I knew I was going to live this long, I would have looked after myself a little better.

Hi Derek,

We don't full time but do up to 180 days at a time.

We have been buying prescription medicines abroad for many years . Mainly blood pressure tablets. We still get three months before we leave and buy the rest as and when. We have found the cheapest places to buy is in Greece & Turkey. Usually one of the pharmacists speaks English. We just take the old packaging along and they usually sort it out. Can't help with costs though from what I remember they are not all that expensive. :thumb:

I don't know about body bits shutting down but I've noticed things like getting in the shower with my glasses on and shaking yogurts after opening them and not before. :Eeek:

I've had dental work done in Turkey at half the cost in the UK, I did not set out to get the work done it was an emergency so when I saw the price I had a couple of teeth capped. My dentist checked them over and said they were first rate.

It ain't no fun growing old.:Eeek:

Don

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
We had to buy blood pressure medication in Spain last winter as the GP would only give 2 months prescriptions.:Sad: One was fairly cheap - about €7 for 4 weeks supply however another one was about €28 for 2 weeks supply! A further tablet - a diuretic - couldn't be purchased at all - luckily it wasn't an essential drug!
We had our repeat prescriptions collected while we were away and have stockpiled over the summer! Now we're ready to go off again and we have around 7 months supply ( the doctor gave us a 3 month prescription this time).

Marie

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
Hi

It ain't no fun growing old its a bit more dramatic not to Don :Smile:

stew

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We had to buy blood pressure medication in Spain last winter as the GP would only give 2 months prescriptions.

Marie

I know you say "its medicinal" but I'm surprised you get red wine on prescription, and two months worth! do you have a trailer for it all? ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
B

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Hi
We are true full timers.

Have done the narrowboat - it is as cheap as RV and great fun too.....
Would you say the costs are cheaper or less than bricks 'n mortar though?

I remember listening to a guy talking about the narrowboat lifestyle he had lived for a number of years who went on to point out the costs involved regarding licence, mooring fees, and regular annual maintenance. Plus, a good 'liveable' narrowboat can cost nearly as much as a small house.

I would think a 'liveable' rv can be bought for considerably less than a narrowboat.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
I favour when its possible wintering in Spain.

My problem is my prescription is 20 items:RollEyes: and cant trim them back:Doh:

My previous doctor in Bedford would have helped me out along the way but current doctor in Wales wont although the surgery nurses and hospital are 1st class to say the least:thumb: i miss my old doctor:Doh::cry:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
For the last 8 years we have been semi full time, ie 8 months a year, The thing that stops us, well me anyway, is the thought of my wife being left with a motor home and no house in the UK if I die before her, or even worse a long illness and no with no home to die in, I have seen this happen and it's not nice.

Doug..

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
For the last 8 years we have been semi full time, ie 8 months a year, The thing that stops us, well me anyway, is the thought of my wife being left with a motor home and no house in the UK if I die before her, or even worse a long illness and no with no home to die in, I have seen this happen and it's not nice.

Doug..

My fear exactly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No

Doug..
Can well understand your concern Doug.
Thankfully as a single guy i no longer have that problem and have come to the conclusion that the UK looks after two types of older people...very rich, or dirt poor. Anywhere 'in the middle' which most of us are, and you will likely find yourself up shite creek.

Two friends of my mothers (husband and wife), found themselves both in an old folks home due to alzeimers. Their house had to be handed over as collateral to pay the fees.....a staggering £800 per week and apparently that's 'cheap'. :whatthe:
They both died within a year so the nursing home made a nice fat wad.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Two friends of my mothers (husband and wife), found themselves both in an old folks home due to alzeimers. Their house had to be handed over as collateral to pay the fees.....a staggering £800 per week and apparently that's 'cheap'. :whatthe:
They both died within a year so the nursing home made a nice fat wad.

I get a whooping £50 a week for caring for my dad whose frail and suffers from Alzheimer's and lives with us.

After nearly 9 years finally got some outside help with him.

Knaus680

Free Member
Sep 11, 2007
Home base is Newcastle, but currently full timing
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Feb 2007
full-timing

Hi, When we retired (early) 3 years ago we set off full-timing on our boat. The boat was damaged in France and we bought a cheap motorhome to allow us to escape to the sun for a couple of months until repairs and insurance nightmares were sorted out. We love this life so much that we are selling the boat and keeping the van! So, we are truly full-timing! We have often met people who say they full-time but when you find out more, they nearly always 'go home every few months'! We do actually full-time because we do not do that. We have lived in the van for 18 months now, with no intentions to stop.
There are 2 of us and our dog in a 6 berth (if you are really friendly) but just nice for us. The luton and under the fixed double bed are our main storage areas. Having said that, we often have the 3 grand-kids to stay when we are in the UK. It is much easier abroad injust about every aspect, but we have been fortunate in the UK too, especially since finding 'The Motorhome Stopover.co.uk'. A scheme which allows you to stay one night free in listed pub car parks for £30 a year. Otherwise we wild camp a lot and have had no problems. Still, it is much easier in Europe! The main downsides for us are getting water and emptying the toilet. Laundry could be a problem as launderette's are really expensive, assuming you can find one! I have a mains (can run off our inverter) twin tub washing machine which is great, the only issue is again getting the water needed. Hvaing listed these as downsides, there is not one of them that would make us think about giving up the lifestyle. Hope you do get to do whatever you decide on. We can certainly say 'no regrets'! Knaus680:Smile:

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
Really interesting thread. It seems there are those who would like to fulltime but are worried about what if............. and those who live for the moment and are fulltiming.

stew

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
Really interesting thread. It seems there are those who would like to fulltime but are worried about what if............. and those who live for the moment and are fulltiming.

stew

Well said Stew!:Smile:
If I had £1 for every time someone has said "what if....." to us I'd be very rich!:winky:

My reply is usually " what are we going to do then? Sit at home and wait to die saying if only we'd ......."
That is usually met with silence!!::bigsmile:

We've been fulltiming for 16 months now and whenever we meet up with old friends and family we are greeted with " Wow you two look fantastic!" We must be doing something right!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

To all those who are thinking about doing it - try it - it's great! :ROFLMAO:

Marie
::bigsmile:

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
hi

" Wow you two look fantastic!" - strange you should say that Marie, we have had that too from a couple of sites we have recently been to having bee on them a year ago. - Have you been on holiday the say, in a way they might be right :ROFLMAO:

stew

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back