Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Don't quite follow your point here Jim, and i'm wondering if you fully understood my question?

I'm talking of road tax/mot on mh or rv in use for 'fulltiming'......irrespective of size. In other words, though it may remain static at some point for a few weeks or months, it also has to be 'ready to go' when desired so must be taxed and tested.

The question being.....would it prove more economically viable to register the vehicle outside the UK, rather than in the UK.

I do get your point, I don't think you understood my response. :Smile:

Tax & MOT for full timers in Europe is a problem, having to return to the UK can be costly, especially if you have an RV. In addition if you have an RV you will find it almost impossible to register it elsewhere on the continent, so this is not even an option. (I have seen a couple of Poland Reg RVs though) So my comment was - This is why many full-timers who want an RV size vehicle are using a 5er because this does not need tax or MOT its effectively a caravan. The Pick-Up towing vehicle can be easily registered elsewhere. This will save the full timer £000's in returning each year. :Smile:

OP
OP
B

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
To MOT their Vehicle:Doh:
That was the point in question on my original post.....

If the vehicle is UK registered i'm assuming that annual road tax and mot has to be done each year only in the UK? If spending 50+ weeks of the year in europe this could prove a costly exercise with travelling back into the UK each time just for tax and mot. Fuel plus ferry fare easily mounts into a few hundered quid just for that trip alone.

How would this compare if the vehicle was registered in Germany, Spain or Holland, as an example?
In other words......if a mh or rv is not registered in the UK, then why would it return to the UK for an MOT?

Various reasons, mostly that they are considered oversize.
Do you have any sites/links giving this information?
I've seen some pretty big rv's appear quite miniscule alongside the many foreign registered trucks and coaches.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi, my only point is that 5th wheels do not need an MOT so do not have to come back. This is why many full timers choose them.

As for foreign registrations of ARV's I do not have any sites or links. With all the Euro legislation supposedly making laws the same all over Euro land you would think that it would be as easy as it is in the UK. French Rules do seem to be the same as ours. Maybe they measure them properly:Smile:

Remorques et caravanes. Longueur maximale de l'attelage voiture et caravane : 18 m, de la caravane timon non compris 12 m. Largeur maximale : 2,55 m. Intervalles entre voitures tractant remorque ou caravane en dehors des agglomérations : 50 m (si l'ensemble dépasse 7 m ou si le poids total en charge dépasse 3,5 t). Freinage : si la remorque pèse moins de 750 kg en charge et moins de la moitié du poids à vide de la voiture tractrice, freinage propre non obligatoire ; de 750 à 3 500 kg : freinage « par inertie » obligatoire ; au-delà : freinage « en continu » (hydraulique, à dépression ou électrique).

I do know that I have never seen an RV with French or Spanish reg. I am sure that there would be plenty registered if it were possible, just one trip home from the S of Spain in an RV for an MOT will be £1500+ so there is plenty of incentive. Anyone ever tried to register an RV in France?

OP
OP
B

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Hi, my only point is that 5th wheels do not need an MOT so do not have to come back. This is why many full timers choose them.

Anyone ever tried to register an RV in France?
"Fifth wheel" job wasn't in my plan jim. As another poster wrote, there's little or no difference between that or buying an already sited static. To me a 'fifth wheel' is nothing more than a caravan with the A frame chopped off.

My question relates to the financial viability of registering a motorised independently self propelled vehicle, in any country outside the UK. As fifth wheelers are not in this category anything about them is irrelevant to my initial question.

Quite how the difference between rv and mh is defined is anyones guess. If simply on size alone, then i'd find that questionable as there are many mh's are of comparable length/size.....with both Germany and Italy amongst the countries which build them.

There must be a few foreign posters on the mb who could perhaps shed more light on the costs of tax and testing within their own countries?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
"Fifth wheel" job wasn't in my plan jim. As another poster wrote, there's little or no difference between that or buying an already sited static. To me a 'fifth wheel' is nothing more than a caravan with the A frame chopped off.

My question relates to the financial viability of registering a motorised independently self propelled vehicle, in any country outside the UK. As fifth wheelers are not in this category anything about them is irrelevant to my initial question.

Quite how the difference between rv and mh is defined is anyones guess. If simply on size alone, then i'd find that questionable as there are many mh's are of comparable length/size.....with both Germany and Italy amongst the countries which build them.

There must be a few foreign posters on the mb who could perhaps shed more light on the costs of tax and testing within their own countries?

I wasn't answering your question. I just commented that because of the problems with the MOT and returning to the UK many fulltimers were looking at using a 5th Wheel because they would not have to bring it back.

OP
OP
B

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
I wasn't answering your question. I just commented that because of the problems with the MOT and returning to the UK many fulltimers were looking at using a 5th Wheel because they would not have to bring it back.
Lets look forward then to some detailed response regards the registering of a motorhome outside the UK, and cost of tax and test within that country.
Thats what i want to know about.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Lets look forward then to some detailed response regards the registering of a motorhome outside the UK, and cost of tax and test within that country.
Thats what i want to know about.

That's a great topic that deserves its own thread:Smile:

Momo

Free Member
Sep 19, 2008
Valencia City, Spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie.
Full Timers.

OK....most of us on this board are simply mh/campervan owners who either enjoy the odd weekend away or a couple of weeks now 'n then. Some of us dream about selling up and getting rid of the house, taking early retirement, and getting a van we can go 'full time' in. Some have actually done it.

Many different threads and comments on here but i'm not sure just how many on the mb are real genuine 'full timers'.....and it's you i'd like to hear from.

Ignoring the freedom lifestyle for a moment, lets concentrate on exactly what are the downsides....the negs to full timing?

For example; you don't have a fixed address so where do you get mail sent? If drawing a pension how and where do you open a Bank account?

Is it easy to 'full time' in the UK....or better out of the UK?

What size/type of mh would be suitable for somebody like myself (single man living alone), which would give a decent living standard without going totally 'ott'?

I'm hoping to retire in a couple of years time, am totally peed off with the rising cost of maintaining the bricks 'n mortar of my house plus still having a mortgage, so have considered a variety of options to get shut of the mortgage, shove some cash in the bank, and give me a more relaxed lifestyle.

I've thought about Park homes (not gone into that much yet), narrow boat (put off by listening to a guy who had actually done it who commented it is not cheaper than running a house like most people think), and 'full timing' in a mh.

So what are the downsides and what are the 'hidden' costs?

Hi: I have a Word document which I downloaded from a site (can't remember which) on becoming a Full Timer and I will try to upload it for you as it answers many of your questions.

Sorry the file is too big even though it's WinZipped. If you send me your email I will send it to you direct.

My email: momoac@hotmail.com

Regards, Momo :thumb:

Rose Royce

Free Member
Oct 3, 2007
EPSOM
Funster No
You cannot register a British built motor home in Europe because the habitatin door is in the "wrong" side.
Threads about this on MHF sits.

OP
OP
B

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
You cannot register a British built motor home in Europe because the habitatin door is in the "wrong" side.
Threads about this on MHF sits.
Thats not really the issue RR.
The question being the possibility of registering a vehicle outside of the UK, say in Germany, Holland, Belgium, or France. Whether it's economically viable or indeed possible.

As most vehicle prices are less than UK, it would make sense to buy from the country of registration anyway.....so the door on the 'wrong side', would be on the right side as well!

BTW...are there any motorhomes actually still being built in Britain? I'd be amazed if there is!

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
to sell or not to sell

We are nearly full timers for 8 years, 4 month home 8 months away,

Think on this, if you get out of the British house market you will never get back in unless you are a very wealthy person!! I suggest you try it first before commiting, its not for everybody.

Also I have watched one guy die in Seville of cancer, he could not go back to the UK as he had no money or house, he lived with a colosomy bag for 11 months before he died, imagen that without a proper bathroom!!

Now his wife is stranded and on her own.

Doug..

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
A motorhome and a caravan site might be a very difficult place to be an old, frail and ill full timer. In America where there are tens of 000s of full timers, the escapee club have a number of nursing parks, dedicated doctors and nurses on site. With more and more people going full time in Europe maybe some entrepreneur will open something similar in Spain.

Link Removed

We are nearly full timers for 8 years, 4 month home 8 months away,

Think on this, if you get out of the British house market you will never get back in unless you are a very wealthy person!! I suggest you try it first before commiting, its not for everybody.

Also I have watched one guy die in Seville of cancer, he could not go back to the UK as he had no money or house, he lived with a colosomy bag for 11 months before he died, imagen that without a proper bathroom!!

Doug..

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years

Doug..

Hi why couldn't he drive back to the UK and park on a site, and then book in with a local Doctor?

I had an ileostomy bag for 3 years and never found a problem with either my Kentucky Camp's toilet or the RV.

Olley

OP
OP
B

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No

After the recent property price crash i dont think there are many people who would want to 'get back in'! It's an extremely fragile market at the moment and looks set to stay that way for a few more years yet.

My neighbour has had his house up for sale for almost two years now, dropped the price £25k, and has been told they might have to drop another £15k. Apparently the only properties selling are those priced in the millions as buyers in that bracket tend to be cash buyers who don't need a mortgage.

OK any m/h needs to be kept maintained, but by comparison to maintaining 'bricks ' mortar', the costs are nothing.

As for the guy in Seville........had he no friends in the UK at all??

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
tax n mot

just going backa page . if you have a 5th wheeler under 3.5ton and use a unit with over 3.5ton , both are mot excempt . do you tax by phone or online have it sent to the address you use in uk, need one for licence, log book insurance, etc . get a friend to send it poste restonty spell that. driving a 20ft 5th wheel n vwlt50 is only 2ft longer than a 10ft caravan n mazda bongo. i have both so have this discussion regulary. i say best buy a small corner of a field as base in uk , u have aa address then and can always return . also you can just be on holiday if police ever ask . u can stay 28 days on field with no planning . keep on trucking u know it makes sense

Baldy

Free Member
May 8, 2008
The open road
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
officially since 22 feb 2010
What property market?

My in-laws have a three year old 5 bedroomed property in Northern Ireland, Current market value puts it at £350k, the have had it advertised at £225k for a quick sale, they want to be shot of it and move away from the UK. There are still no takers on the house.

Keep on Trucking, tugging, motorhoming, pushing, 2.4 (two point four) million fulltimers (excluding traveller and gypsy camps) in the UK cannot be wrong.

:whatthe:

OP
OP
B

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
My in-laws have a three year old 5 bedroomed property in Northern Ireland, Current market value puts it at £350k, the have had it advertised at £225k for a quick sale, they want to be shot of it and move away from the UK. There are still no takers on the house.
Because people buying in this bracket still need a mortgage and many are in a chain. This was discussed recently on a documentary i watched. They showed a property which sold for £2.5 million. Not only did the owner make a profit.....it was sold in less than 48hrs!

The only way to get shut of property in the 'lower bracket' quick is to shove it in an auction, swallow your pride, and be prepared to take a loss. My house is now worth £40k less than what it would have sold for a couple of years ago.

M

Mark&Sue

Deleted User
Forced Fulltiming

We probably have some of those. Especially those that do not have a choice because they are off the property ladder (or is that a snake right now?:Smile:) When you couldn't care less about bricks and mortar and you are full timing because you love it, this must be fantastic . However a few people are pretty much forced into full timing, (or have grown to hate it and have nowhere to go) then I am sure they must feel pretty trapped and must hate every minute. The thing is, those people are hardly likely to post on motorhome forums so we will never know.

Hi Peeps,

Just reading through the thread and wanted to mention that in fact although we have always wanted to have the balls to go fulltime, we never got down to it till now. We dont have a mortgage and have very little savings and our business is quiet so we aren't making a living and are faced with using our meagre savings to pay our rent. We have decided to buy a '96 Damon RV and a trailer and go find a layby somewhere. Now this has been forced upon us in a way, other options are available but none that apeal and i'll be damned if I'm going to dig into my 20k savings to pay my rent.

So....RV'ing full time it is then, am I worried? No! Am I Excited? You bet I am, what an adventure.

Because I work for myself as a computer engineer and Sue is self employed locally we will stay in and around Weston-super-Mare for now but we will travel as and when oppotunities arise.

As for money, aside from repairs and site rent when we have to hook up, we will find ourselves much better off and will be able to save at a much faster rate. We are also trying to come up with another method of earning on the move but that will take time and a lot of thought.

So how do I feel? Well we move out on Wednesday next week and we already have our stuff packed, emptying the contents of the house to anyone that wants to take things away, leaving a donation at the door in the "Mark&Sue RV fund tin" as they leave with their booty is optional and everything must go!

I feel the weight of the world is being lifted from my shoulders, the last few weeks I have cheered up so much and I am already feeling the benefits of the decision and we haven't even started.

I feel sorry for all those millions of people that will still have to struggle and rely on the system to survive in these difficult times.

One of my friends said "You'll be a Itinerant", I say, "i'll be happy".

Sue and I love each other very much and spend loads of time very close to one another, we know what little quirks annoy each of us and have learned to see them as part of each others personalities so I think that we will not only survive each other well but will enjoy each other even more that before.

So there you are, jumping in at the deep end with no (financial) lifesaver and fully believing that we will not only be able to swim, but we will prosper and grow together, take the rough with the smooth and laugh about it.

I will keep you all updated with our progress.

Best Regards,

Mark and Sue.::bigsmile:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi Peeps,

Just reading through the thread and wanted to mention that in fact although we have always wanted to have the balls to go fulltime, we never got down to it till now. We dont have a mortgage and have very little savings and our business is quiet so we aren't making a living and are faced with using our meagre savings to pay our rent. We have decided to buy a '96 Damon RV and a trailer and go find a layby somewhere. Now this has been forced upon us in a way, other options are available but none that apeal and i'll be damned if I'm going to dig into my 20k savings to pay my rent.

So....RV'ing full time it is then, am I worried? No! Am I Excited? You bet I am, what an adventure.

Because I work for myself as a computer engineer and Sue is self employed locally we will stay in and around Weston-super-Mare for now but we will travel as and when oppotunities arise.

As for money, aside from repairs and site rent when we have to hook up, we will find ourselves much better off and will be able to save at a much faster rate. We are also trying to come up with another method of earning on the move but that will take time and a lot of thought.

So how do I feel? Well we move out on Wednesday next week and we already have our stuff packed, emptying the contents of the house to anyone that wants to take things away, leaving a donation at the door in the "Mark&Sue RV fund tin" as they leave with their booty is optional and everything must go!

I feel the weight of the world is being lifted from my shoulders, the last few weeks I have cheered up so much and I am already feeling the benefits of the decision and we haven't even started.

I feel sorry for all those millions of people that will still have to struggle and rely on the system to survive in these difficult times.

Sue and I love each other very much and spend loads of time very close to one another, we know what little quirks annoy each of us and have learned to see them as part of each others personalities so I think that we will not only survive each other well but will enjoy each other even more that before.

So there you are, jumping in at the deep end with no (financial) lifesaver and fully believing that we will not only be able to swim, but we will prosper and grow together, take the rough with the smooth and laugh about it.

Best Regards,

Hi
I wish you the very, very best of luck

Jim :thumb:

OP
OP
B

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
....jumping in at the deep end with no (financial) lifesaver and fully believing that we will not only be able to swim, but we will prosper and grow together, take the rough with the smooth and laugh about it.

Best Regards,

Good luck from me too. :thumb:

I'd imagine working in world of IT you wouldn't go short of business amongst the many mh'ers who seem to constantly be having problems setting up connections etc, not to mention being able to advise on set-ups to suit individuals needs.

A brave step (some may say foolhardy) but keep us all informed, not only of the good.....but also the bad, as it's exactly that which helps others avoid possible pitfalls.

M

Mark&Sue

Deleted User
The Deep End

Thanks Bulletguy,

I'll keep posting up to date on our adventure, we are going to keep a detailed diary so that might be useful.

Although I'm an IT Techie I spent 16 years serving Her Majesty in the British Army so if anyone would like a hit arranged then I'm open to offers lol....:ROFLMAO:

::bigsmile:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Peeps,

Best Regards,

Great story guys, why not Link Removed and let us know of your adventures. A blog on fun is just like making a post, but any comments from members are kept below your posts so that your daily, weekly, monthly, blogs are kept together in chronological order. Link Removed:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back