DumfriesDik

Free Member
Nov 22, 2020
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
I know it's an old chestnut and I am in search of the Holy Grail.

I would love a data sim that can be used to roam in the EU. Tesco Mobile at the moment seem to be a good option. Does anyone here have experience of using a Tesco data sim in their mifi and does it work okay for the EU and your thoughts on the fair usage policy? I have read it but have you fallen foul?

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
I had no problems using my Tesco PAYG SIM in France in April/May(PAYG was very expensive though!) but I've now upgraded to a £14 monthly contract with 100 GB per month data, unlimited texts and calls which includes the EU with no roaming charges. In non-EU countries, it depends but the Tesco App you can download details the charges by country world wide. Once you've signed up, the monthly fee remains the same and so do the terms and conditions. I'm using the tethering facility whilst in North Devon, and it works a treat on a 4G network, more than enough to view YouTube content on a 7.35 Mbps download and a 5.77 Mbps upload.
Hope this helps.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Tesc mobile is O2, so should be good coverage and even better with the deals they have on now.

They also promise not to do the usual rip off annual price increase like the big wigs do.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
As above. Tesco is O2 (Telephonica)
I've just changed from 3 to O2 because of the roaming charges.
I was disappointed with how long it took them to port my existing number across but I now have 20gb data for £8 and no roaming charges

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
I use it in a router UK and europe (unlimited), my wife works from the van while we're away (voice over ip and data), and I stream using a Firestick, no issues at all.

Cheers
Red.

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Hondon Valley and the Kellets
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
I know it's an old chestnut and I am in search of the Holy Grail.

I would love a data sim that can be used to roam in the EU. Tesco Mobile at the moment seem to be a good option. Does anyone here have experience of using a Tesco data sim in their mifi and does it work okay for the EU and your thoughts on the fair usage policy? I have read it but have you fallen foul?
O2 the network that tesco use do not allow phone sims to be used in mifi's or routers. Hotspotting from a phone no problem.
this is an extract from Tesco t&c's

using a Tesco Mobile SIM card other than for the purposes advertised, described in any user guides, or instructed by us or using a Tesco Mobile SIM card in, or connected to any device or hardware other than a mobile phone or tablet. For example, using your Tesco Mobile SIM card in a router for broadband;

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I changed Tesco phone SIM to Smarty (3), hotspot, but also have a mifi with a Three SIM. I do not find a substantial difference between the two methods. Some say that Three is not so good in EU, but you get your signal from local suppliers anyway, do not sure why that would be.

OP
OP
DumfriesDik

DumfriesDik

Free Member
Nov 22, 2020
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
O2 the network that tesco use do not allow phone sims to be used in mifi's or routers. Hotspotting from a phone no problem.

using a Tesco Mobile SIM card other than for the purposes advertised, described in any user guides, or instructed by us or using a Tesco Mobile SIM card in, or connected to any device or hardware other than a mobile phone or tablet. For example, using your Tesco Mobile SIM card in a router for broadband;

Aaargh, I hadn't seen that.

The search continues!

OP
OP
DumfriesDik

DumfriesDik

Free Member
Nov 22, 2020
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Chatted with Tesco mobile - you can get a data only sim card from store or telesales. And you can use them for mifi! Clear as mud.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

We had a discussion about using Sims in mifis in February, O2 mention modems not routers (or used to) so might be worth having a chat with them to confirm exactly what it means.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now

No issues using my Tescomobile SIM in a Huawei MIFI router in UK or France

Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
I have Tesco sim in HUAWEI mifi. Tesco know I’m using it in the mifi because I told them. Just returned from 4 weeks touring Germany and didn’t have any problem other than running out of data as my original plan I underestimated the usage. I rang them and we added data and the next month set the plan to a higher data.
One thing I did need to do was change some settings in the HUAWEI to initially get the sim to work. I got them from using search on this forum and it brought up a thread that explained what to do.

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Yes there are settings to change for the Tesco sim in the Huawei, for an APN. Despite that it wouldn't work. Took a couple of hours with different phone support staff (their recent radio add where they claimed phone support wouldn't be like some networks asking if you have turned round three times, was actually quite close to how the first people reacted) and the third agrees sometimes it wouldn't work, as they didn't test with routers so was an unknown, rather than outright preventing use.

Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
Just had a look at the Tescomobile website and noticed that the SIM-only contracts now all say “EU Roaming for 2022”……. Perhaps this is being discontinued or capped in future years? Looking carefully at the FAQ’s, on the PAYG SIM-only deals the Clubcard price reverts to the full price after 12 months.

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
It appears that the free roaming with Tesco is ending from 2023.

Current existing contracts will be honoured till they end but all new contracts from 16th June will start charging from start of 2023.

The exploitation is expanding folks if this is true.

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
If correct I must have trod in something as my 2 Yr contract started on the 15th

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
Anita ishas a Tesco sim deal and I was going to switch when my curent Vodafone deal finished in August. May have to look at O2.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
It's so much easier (and cheaper) just to buy a data sim locally when you get here. We also use a old phone as a 'router'. Just switch hotspot on and you are done. No real problems with reception generally.

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
i was really lucky as i opened a tesco mobile contract on the 15th and new nothing about this so i just phoned them and it does not effect my contract as it starts from the 16th

OP
OP
DumfriesDik

DumfriesDik

Free Member
Nov 22, 2020
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
It's so much easier (and cheaper) just to buy a data sim locally when you get here. We also use a old phone as a 'router'. Just switch hotspot on and you are done. No real problems with reception generally.

We are off to (Republic of) Ireland later in the year, I think this is what I will try and do. I have had a quick look around (Google), and even sims bought there have a restriction in other parts of the EU.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back