Tesco Clubcard Points

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Tosan, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Tosan

Tosan Funster

Tesco Clubcard points are changing
    Had a letter today to say that you have to spend
    £8.00 outside of Tesco to get 1point :(
    Spend in Tesco and you get 5 points for £4.00
    Will make it loads harder to collect enough points for our Euro Tunnel travel seeing I don't use Tesco a lot but I do use our Tesco Visa card a lot !

2. Easyliving

Easyliving Funster

I was thinking about getting a Tesco credit card just so we could get more points to use on tunnel crossings. Now it seems it may not be worth it. Tesco are obviously feeling the pinch a bit. How many points did they give before they changed?

My Nectar card is not really worth using any more, apparently you have to spend about £500 to earn enough to pay for a cup of coffee!

Paul

3. dave met

dave met Funster Life Member

Since I have been shopping at Aldi I have found that I have saved more money than I ever did when I shopped at Tesco and used the points

• Like Like x 4
  4. Tosan

Tosan Funster

*Until 30 November 2015 you will collect 1 Clubcard point for every £4 you spend in each purchase transaction
    Then it becomes as below

image.png

• Like Like x 1
  5. Easyliving

Easyliving Funster

Hmmm,

So long as you are shopping at Tesco you seem to be getting a reasonable deal, its only when you shop elsewhere with your Tesco credit card that you lose out.

Paul

• Like Like x 1
  6. TerryL

TerryL Funster

We've been playing the Tesco Clubcard points game for a number of years now and it's been a great way of saving money. It's not going to make a huge difference to us, as we're quite close to a huge Tesco so we use it anyway. But I'm going to have to look seriously at other cards now that the non-Tesco points are so poor.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

We've got the same letter and have a larger stock of Tesco points already so it will be a long while before we have to worry about actually paying for a Eurotunnel crossing ... I remember when they reduced the exchange value from 4 x face value to 3 x face value ... we weren't happy with that but hey ho, it's still a good benefit to us.

For out of Tesco purchases we have an Asda card which gives 0.5% cashback out of store (1% instore) - we used to have Capital 1 which gave 1% but that stopped a few months back.

If anyone knows of any good cashback cards please let us know!

• Like Like x 2
  8. lou020

lou020 Funster

I got the tesco credit card just to get the points for the tunnel. But we always shop at asda. might be better off with the asda cc.. wouldn't dream of using the tunnel now anyway,not with all the trouble it's having,and the delays.
    Probably use the points on something else....or until they've shot all the scrou ..sorry i mean the migrants

• Like Like x 1
  9. TheWM

TheWM Read Only Funster

I've had a brief look at credit cards since we got a similar letter. In short they are all pretty much the same. Some cashback credit cards may be worth exploring further, but nothing has made me sit up and want to cancel my Tesco one (even though that was my immediate though when getting the letter).

• Like Like x 1
  10. denisejoe

denisejoe Funster

I thought the same but the only one I looked at which has good cashback seems to be the Santander 1-2-3 CC which give 2% cashback but unfortunately comes with a monthly charge which would probably wipe out any cashback you earned or at least most of it.

I'm going to continue using my Tesco CC for the time being but will be investigating further other cashback cards. I'm going to have another look at my Nationwide CC which I sometimes use in France as that gives cashback on UK spends but not sure how much.

Denise

• Like Like x 2
  11. TheWM

TheWM Read Only Funster

Yeah - things to look at that may be worthwhile to some people are airline CCs. BA and Emirates spring to mind. Off the top of my head, if you were spending over £15k a year and could use airline miles then these may be beneficial (taking into account any annual fee). Although some cards are American Express and aren't readily accepted by all UK retailers. So homework required!

12. Speve

Speve Funster

It's only on the credit card though if you do your usual shop using any other card you get the point for a pound as always.
    We have never had a Tesco credit card found Post office is as good as any and no charge abroad except cash withdrawals.

13. StefAndDi

StefAndDi

@denisejoe
    It depends how much you use the card. Most months my spend on my 123 Credit Card is between £700 and £900. I clear the balance each month to avoid paying interest.
    My cash back award for the last 12 months is £157 and the annual account fee was £24.
    Even when the account fee rises to £36 per year on 11th January 2016 I will still be quids in.
    Stef.

• Like Like x 2
  14. denisejoe

denisejoe Funster

Thanks Stef. That may be the way to go as I generally put around £500-£700 a month on with extra some months if I've needed to buy eg, household items or bigger purchases where I use it to get the Section 75 protection and then use savings to pay it off the next month.

Denise

• Like Like x 2
  15. lou020

lou020 Funster

I've ordered the asda cc,spending near on £1000 a month gives me £10 compared to Tesco's £1.25. they can shove the card where the sun don't shine. And like i said before, i wouldn't use the tunnel even if it was free & tesco can have the points, Tesco probably need the £20 ish (iv'e gained in points this year) more than me.
    Every little helps,,

• Like Like x 2
  16. ruthiebabe

ruthiebabe Funster

Very sad about the Tesco card, its in line with reduction on other card awards, but a tragedy for us...we don't even hav a Tesco, it was the card points that got us over the channel twice a year

• Like Like x 2
  17. ruthiebabe

ruthiebabe Funster

Unfortunately my Moho won't fit on a plane

• Like Like x 2
  18. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

These cards fascinate me. I've never yet actually met anyone who actually has one ? Be it asda, tesco, nectar , whatever.

• Like Like x 1
  19. TheWM

TheWM Read Only Funster

About 15 years. Pay the balance every month in full, so never paid interest, but all shopping and spending goes on there (12k pa?), plus big items like flights, TV's etc...

The upshot is that we use the vouchers to get 'free' RAC cover every year, plus extremely cheap holiday bonuses - think Avios miles and a week's car hire for a pittance. A few meals too (before the kids were born...)

• Like Like x 1
  20. scousebird

scousebird Funster

Had a Tesco credit card for years and my points get us through the tunnel 4-5 times a year.

• Like Like x 1