Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line
Exp
Tesco Clubcard points are changing
Had a letter today to say that you have to spend
£8.00 outside of Tesco to get 1point :(
Spend in Tesco and you get 5 points for £4.00
Will make it loads harder to collect enough points for our Euro Tunnel travel seeing I don't use Tesco a lot but I do use our Tesco Visa card a lot !

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
I was thinking about getting a Tesco credit card just so we could get more points to use on tunnel crossings. Now it seems it may not be worth it. Tesco are obviously feeling the pinch a bit. How many points did they give before they changed?

My Nectar card is not really worth using any more, apparently you have to spend about £500 to earn enough to pay for a cup of coffee!

Paul

OP
OP
MotorhomersRus

MotorhomersRus

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2010
Barnoldswick
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line
Exp
*Until 30 November 2015 you will collect 1 Clubcard point for every £4 you spend in each purchase transaction
Then it becomes as below

image.png

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Hmmm,

So long as you are shopping at Tesco you seem to be getting a reasonable deal, its only when you shop elsewhere with your Tesco credit card that you lose out.

Paul

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We've been playing the Tesco Clubcard points game for a number of years now and it's been a great way of saving money. It's not going to make a huge difference to us, as we're quite close to a huge Tesco so we use it anyway. But I'm going to have to look seriously at other cards now that the non-Tesco points are so poor.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We've got the same letter and have a larger stock of Tesco points already so it will be a long while before we have to worry about actually paying for a Eurotunnel crossing ... I remember when they reduced the exchange value from 4 x face value to 3 x face value ... we weren't happy with that but hey ho, it's still a good benefit to us.

For out of Tesco purchases we have an Asda card which gives 0.5% cashback out of store (1% instore) - we used to have Capital 1 which gave 1% but that stopped a few months back.

If anyone knows of any good cashback cards please let us know!

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
I got the tesco credit card just to get the points for the tunnel. But we always shop at asda. might be better off with the asda cc.. wouldn't dream of using the tunnel now anyway,not with all the trouble it's having,and the delays.
Probably use the points on something else....or until they've shot all the scrou ..sorry i mean the migrants

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Newbie, but over 10 years in a campervan
I've had a brief look at credit cards since we got a similar letter. In short they are all pretty much the same. Some cashback credit cards may be worth exploring further, but nothing has made me sit up and want to cancel my Tesco one (even though that was my immediate though when getting the letter).

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I've had a brief look at credit cards since we got a similar letter. In short they are all pretty much the same. Some cashback credit cards may be worth exploring further, but nothing has made me sit up and want to cancel my Tesco one (even though that was my immediate though when getting the letter).

I thought the same but the only one I looked at which has good cashback seems to be the Santander 1-2-3 CC which give 2% cashback but unfortunately comes with a monthly charge which would probably wipe out any cashback you earned or at least most of it.

I'm going to continue using my Tesco CC for the time being but will be investigating further other cashback cards. I'm going to have another look at my Nationwide CC which I sometimes use in France as that gives cashback on UK spends but not sure how much.

Denise

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Yeah - things to look at that may be worthwhile to some people are airline CCs. BA and Emirates spring to mind. Off the top of my head, if you were spending over £15k a year and could use airline miles then these may be beneficial (taking into account any annual fee). Although some cards are American Express and aren't readily accepted by all UK retailers. So homework required!

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
It's only on the credit card though if you do your usual shop using any other card you get the point for a pound as always.
We have never had a Tesco credit card found Post office is as good as any and no charge abroad except cash withdrawals.

StefAndDi

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Near St. Austell, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ceased motorhoming 1/3/16
Exp
2010 to 2016
I thought the same but the only one I looked at which has good cashback seems to be the Santander 1-2-3 CC which give 2% cashback but unfortunately comes with a monthly charge which would probably wipe out any cashback you earned or at least most of it.

@denisejoe
It depends how much you use the card. Most months my spend on my 123 Credit Card is between £700 and £900. I clear the balance each month to avoid paying interest.
My cash back award for the last 12 months is £157 and the annual account fee was £24.
Even when the account fee rises to £36 per year on 11th January 2016 I will still be quids in.
Stef.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
@denisejoe
It depends how much you use the card. Most months my spend on my 123 Credit Card is between £700 and £900. I clear the balance each month to avoid paying interest.
My cash back award for the last 12 months is £157 and the annual account fee was £24.
Even when the account fee rises to £36 per year on 11th January 2016 I will still be quids in.
Stef.
Thanks Stef. That may be the way to go as I generally put around £500-£700 a month on with extra some months if I've needed to buy eg, household items or bigger purchases where I use it to get the Section 75 protection and then use savings to pay it off the next month.

Denise

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
I've ordered the asda cc,spending near on £1000 a month gives me £10 compared to Tesco's £1.25. they can shove the card where the sun don't shine. And like i said before, i wouldn't use the tunnel even if it was free & tesco can have the points, Tesco probably need the £20 ish (iv'e gained in points this year) more than me.
Every little helps,,

ruthiebabe

Free Member
May 13, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 1989
Very sad about the Tesco card, its in line with reduction on other card awards, but a tragedy for us...we don't even hav a Tesco, it was the card points that got us over the channel twice a year

ruthiebabe

Free Member
May 13, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 1989
Yeah - things to look at that may be worthwhile to some people are airline CCs. BA and Emirates spring to mind. Off the top of my head, if you were spending over £15k a year and could use airline miles then these may be beneficial (taking into account any annual fee). Although some cards are American Express and aren't readily accepted by all UK retailers. So homework required!

Unfortunately my Moho won't fit on a plane

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
These cards fascinate me. I've never yet actually met anyone who actually has one ? Be it asda, tesco, nectar , whatever.

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
These cards fascinate me. I've never yet actually met anyone who actually has one ? Be it asda, tesco, nectar , whatever.

About 15 years. Pay the balance every month in full, so never paid interest, but all shopping and spending goes on there (12k pa?), plus big items like flights, TV's etc...

The upshot is that we use the vouchers to get 'free' RAC cover every year, plus extremely cheap holiday bonuses - think Avios miles and a week's car hire for a pittance. A few meals too (before the kids were born...)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Don't have any credit cards, Tesco or otherwise, but as they are the only supermarket within a reasonable drive we do most of our shopping with them.. but if they are feeling the 'pinch' it's not going to help stopping the fuel discount and the green card points for using your own bags. We used club card points for the Tunnel this year.. but as that is less attractive now..

I now buy fuel at Shell and less inclined to be 'loyal'..so don't understand the strategy.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Because I love a bargain I have a variety of credit cards and all the points cards. I don't use a shop based of the points but on the prices, mysupermarket is handy. I use the points from nectar, boots M&S etc for treats for me or the van. I have Lloyds and Santander current accounts, for me its a bit of a game like some people do sudoku. I'm disappointed about Tescos but I can still collect the points but pay with Santander, 1% shopping and 3% fuel. We have gone off the idea of the tunnel for now but I am going to convert the tescos clubcard points to avios and use fir the ferry, or wait for one of their boost things.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I used to use tesco points for the tunnel when they were 4 the value but now we use the ferry. I also use my Santander credit card more now as it is free to use abroad.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I used to use tesco points for the tunnel when they were 4 the value but now we use the ferry. I also use my Santander credit card more now as it is free to use abroad.
I thought the Santander card was only free to use abroad in Spain?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Post office card for us.. free to use in any EU country

Dec 20, 2010
birmingham
Funster No
MH
kon-tiki 669. mazda bongo
Exp
since2011
I have just orderd a Tesco card. It should drop through the letter box anytime. Look Have I wasted my time. On average how many points are needed to use the tunnell.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Well we have had our cards since about April. Woman will not use Tescos at all but I use it just to fill up ( car and van ).
Our average monthly card bill is about £900 most of which is not used at a Tesco outlet

We have saved £60 off our chunnel fair

EDIT:

By comparison we had an air miles related card for 15 years which we ran our business's on.
Average monthly bill was around the £7-8000 mark
In 15 years we collected enough air miles for both of us to get to Madrid but only one of us return !!
Given I can get a return flight on some of the cheapo carriers for about £60,, the Tescos points are about 50 times better !!!

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
I have just orderd a Tesco card. It should drop through the letter box anytime. Look Have I wasted my time. On average how many points are needed to use the tunnell.
You need a minimum of £5 worth of Tesco points which will give you £15 off the tunnel. How quick you accumulate points depends on how much you use your card. We use our Tesco credit card for everything and I pay it off almost on a daily basis online. I also do most of my shopping at Tesco internet, having it delivered on a Tuesday evening. I have booked 3 crossings with my points this year the last being £150 of which I paid £105 with Tesco vouchers.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back