Teppanyaki Grill

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by EX51SSS, Aug 2, 2016.

1. EX51SSS

EX51SSS Funster

I'm really interested in buying an electric teppanyaki grill. They range in price from under £20.00 to around £50.00
    My two main concerns are:-
    Which is the best surface. Iron, aluminium, non stick or ceramic.
    What wattage is acceptable. 1400, 1800 or 2000 as although primarily for home, I do fancy taking it in the moho.
    I imagine that in the moho, there would be just me and SWMBO and at home possibly 4 in total.
    Any particular recommendations or any downsides.
    Thanks

2. Popeye

Popeye Funster

I carried a 1400 watt one for almost 4 years and gave it away as a raffle prize still in the box and never ever having used it, are they any good?

3. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Usually they don't get anywhere near hot enough unless really good make with high wattage, same as electric woks etc. You very much get what you pay for with this kind of thing but a high wattage might trip the leccy........

P.S. Anyone want to buy an electric wok, which is useless as a wok but might make a decent open slow cooker?

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. Paul and Kate

Paul and Kate Funster

We have two of the non stick ones from Andrew James
    One small one about 600mm long and a bigger one 1000mm long we use both in the mh
    Small one for just the two of us then take the big one when we meet up with friends for a bbq
    They're great you can cook lots of food on them from full English breakfasts to stir frys

• Like Like x 2
  5. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Aldi offerings are pretty good when they have them but the cooking surface tends to warp and ripple after a good while

• Like Like x 1
  6. garjanco

garjanco Funster

We have one from Lidl it was £19.99 on the special, I think Aldi have them at the moment. We have an outside socket and use it all the time when on electric. We cook breakfast on it if having bacon etc and have used if for chicken, fish, vegs etc. We love it.

• Like Like x 2
  7. TheTwoOfUs

TheTwoOfUs Funster

We have one from either Aldi or Lidl and have been very pleased with it. Use it for cooking in the awning to save having smells in the van.

• Like Like x 1
  8. mike mcglynn

mike mcglynn Funster Life Member

We bought one from Aldi 1800 watts but haven't found any Teppanyaki to grill yet.:)

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. EX51SSS

EX51SSS Funster

Think you can get them on specials from Lidl. ::bigsmile:

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Same here. Ours is a Lidl special and I love it!

Be aware that different parts of the surface are at different temperatures and make that work for you. I got some egg rings (silicon so non-stick) and use them for making pancakes and drop scones on the grill - not just for eggs.

It cleans really easily, just a wipe over with kitchen roll (damp and a drop of detergent).

11. Big Nick

Big Nick Funster

We got a 'VonChef' one from Tesco for £20

Wouldn't be without it and as for them not getting hot enough if you set ours any more than 2/5ths power it burns the food in seconds!!

Need a decent EHU though for it to work and we have a Cadac backup for when we don't

• Like Like x 1
  12. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

We've got a pizzamatic ... 1970s version of the modern day Teppanyaki ... the plate itself is flat one side and ribbed the other and can be removed for cleaning, it also has a lid which vastly speeds up the cooking and keeps food moist when used as a grill, but it can also be used as an oven to cook not just pizzas, but many other things as there are vent slots around the perimeter of the plate so the hot air circulates and crisps stuff up, it has 3 heat settings too and gets very hot if we want it to. We use to use it a lot when we used sites as it is a brilliant piece of kit, however it's now gathering dust in the garage as we rarely have hook-up as we prefer wild camping/aires ... I must dig it out to use at home! The photos below show what its like (taken from the web):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1