Tax discs redundant from November 2014?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by ourcampersbeentrashed, Dec 5, 2013.

1. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

Read the story here

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/end-road-car-tax-disc-001600840.html

Looks like we wont have to display them from November 2014.

It will be interesting to see how the new system works. Although they say its no longer needed for enforcement, it does help to identify vehicles with false plates and contributes to reducing other crime.

No getting your hopes up, its only the disc they are doing away with, NOT the TAX
    yep we will still have to pay

• Like Like x 7
  2. ukbill

ukbill Funster

about time as well

3. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Good idea. For several years now VOSA has been running roadside checks with cameras recording number plates rather than the paper discs. More recently we have seen newly registered vehicles allowed to be used without a disc whilst awaiting its delivery. All being well that should mean that any problems with IT systems should have been resolved.

• Like Like x 2
  4. estcres

estcres Read Only Funster

A god idea but it has it's drawbacks especially where everyone is relying on technology to do the job.

At least with a bit of paper you have got some form of evidence, without it what proof will you have that you have paid your VED should the technology fail.

Currently:

You get a cert for the MOT, evidence

You get a cert of Insurance, evidence

You get a Tax Disc for VED, evidence.

Just imagine being stopped by the Police, VOSA etc and not having some form of evidence that you have the correct, legal cover.

However, in principal, a good idea,

• Like Like x 4
  5. Landy lover

Landy lover Funster

The road fun licence /tax disc system has been working well now for a few years but the rest of DVLA is still a total liability and with the shutting of regional offices I suspect it will get far far worse. Recently had them trying to tell me I was not insured and issued a fine - I was of course but their wonderful system did not give them the correct answer. Having proved I was insured they sent a letter- not specifically apologising for false accusation but advising me they would no longer be pursuing the fine !!!! :Eeek:

Now it makes you question just how many times they send out such documents - for me this is the fourth time in as many years when their information has been flawed on different points. I maintain DVLA is not fit for purpose

• Like Like x 6
  6. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Yes, we currently have pieces of paper for Insurance, MoT and VED but to what extent to police rely on them these days? Aren't checks already undertaken using electronic databases?

• Like Like x 2
  7. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

Suppose I will have to dump all my collection of "Guiness" bottle lables... :Sad::BigGrin:

• Like Like x 5
  8. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Personally we have never had any problems with DVLA so, using the same logic, that could be taken as evidence that they are totally fit for purpose :Smile:

I don't now the answer to the question of how many letters are wrongly issued but you may be able to find out using FoI. Also, it might be interesting to know the percentage of errors against total transactions. I suspect (though I don't know) that it would be low.

9. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

The DVLA technology is suspect.

I couldn't renew on line this year because my insurance was not appearing on their database. It was appearing on everyone else's but theirs. I suspect I could have been stopped by police in the period it took them to sort themselves out because the DVLA database said I wasn't insured.

I suspect the same will happen with this proposed change.:Doh:

• Like Like x 3
  10. estcres

estcres Read Only Funster

The paper evidence is a back up for when the Electronic systems go tits up.

I can think of at least one occasion when I have been stopped by the Police when their ANPR system identified my vehicle as having no VED. They looked at the Disc, did another check, apologised and sent me on my way.

As I said in my earlier post, in principal good but it does have it's drawbacks when relying solely on technology all the time.

11. Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Traveller_HA5_3DOM Read Only Funster

It will be interesting to see what difference it makes on the continent. I have never subscribed to the information often quoted by other posters that you need your vehicle excise licence when not using UK roads and have spent hours trawling the EU directives to find firstly evidence that the laws were made and secondly that they were adopted by the various member states.
    So if DVLA release their database to the EU I will be very surprised.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Larby

Larby Funster

I don't carry my Insurance and MOT documents (in the car in the UK) so I don't have immediate proof of them if stopped ? But then the French display an Insurance disc and we don't.
    All or nothing ?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  13. Spottycatz

Spottycatz Read Only Funster

When we fly, we download electronic boarding passes to our ipad. They will probably do something similar. Most folk have a 'smart' something or other that can carry proof. :thumb:

• Like Like x 4
  14. Landy lover

Landy lover Funster

The pieces of paper are the proof needed when they have a failure ( they seem to think they don't make mistakes)

If I did not have those pieces of paper which I could send copies of then I would have had the devils own job proving I was insured as obviously it failed to appear on their fool proof system

• Like Like x 2
  15. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

A lot of insurance companies will quote that the vehicle must be MOT and taxed in it's home country.... So If you did fail to obtain tax, technically not insured..

16. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

It is fair to say you will always have the opportunity to print a receipt for you ved payment and also your MoT when that eventually goes paperless
    Geo
    ps Graham im not aware of DVSA (Vosa) ever having cameras checking Tax Dics, thats not in their remit

• Like Like x 5
  17. cranky

cranky Funster

apparently we will also be able to pay by monthly direct debit. makes sense all round really. I think the only reason dvla has been kept going this long is because so many work there and it would not be a good move politically to have them all on the dole. How many years has everyone been saying to scrap the road tax and put it on fuel then those that use it most, pay most.

• Like Like x 4
  18. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

I can just imagine all those farmers etc in very rural areas who think of the great idea of simply SORNing the vehicle and then driving it around in the secure knowledge that hardly ever will they come across any ANPR system and the local bobby - sorry PCSO - either won't know any better or will care.

I suppose that the powers that be are aware of this and based their decisions on risk/reward.....

• Like Like x 1
  19. cranky

cranky Funster

I dont think checking tractors tax discs has ever been a very high priority so they will probably get away with it less now. I know if I had to choose between climbing up a muddy, possibly sh***y tractor to check the disc or just type the reg into my laptop I know which one I would go for:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

They listened, they put it on fuel:thumb:
    They just forgot to take away the yearly subs:Doh:

• Like Like x 9