Tax discs redundant from November 2014? (1 Viewer)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I was thinking of the temporary roadside ANPR cameras used to check VED, which we now see regularly, rather than cameras in vehicles.

As regards sharing, it will be covered by what is allowed in Data Protection registrations - and normally that will enable sharing with the police for purposes of crime detection and prosecution.

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
Sorry, I think you missed the point. Loads of farmers use vehicles other than tractors to get around and go into the village or local small town. If they don't use a major route (think driving around rural wales or the fens) then the chances of being caught are almost zero
All I was saying is that has always been the case so the lack of a tax disc wont make any difference to them, if anything it will work against them cos local plod can check up on them without leaving the office.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The DVLA technology is suspect.

I couldn't renew on line this year because my insurance was not appearing on their database. It was appearing on everyone else's but theirs. I suspect I could have been stopped by police in the period it took them to sort themselves out because the DVLA database said I wasn't insured.

I suspect the same will happen with this proposed change.:Doh:

Actually Chris, that is usually down to the insurers failing to send the info in a timely manner

Up until a couple of years ago multibike insurance was a real pain cos insurers only supplied the DVLA with details of the first bike listed.. Roadside check and your sitting their for 20 minutes waiting for the insurers to confirm you are covered :Angry:

As multibike and multicar policies became more commonplace the insurers started doing the job properly.

A close friend used to work for one of the big companies..

He told me it was not unusual for them to fail to submit info for anything up to 21 days after the policy was paid for !!

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Had it occurred to you that it was more than likely that your insurance company had not notified SWANSEA. I HAD THIS PROBLEM WITH SAGA. People are quick to blame DVLA. BUSBY::bigsmile:
I have had it happen twice on one occasion the vehicle was seized,these incidents were down to the incompetence and tardiness of the insurers.In both cases the insurers were at fault,they stumped up the costs for the seizure,luckily it was local. The insurers need to up their game when putting policies on the database used by DVLA and not leave it for up to 3 weeks after renewal!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
a very good idea in principle, but raises a few concerns

for instance car is tax exempt due to disability, allowing me to park free in most car parks. how will the parking vultures check if a vehicle is exempt?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

for instance car is tax exempt due to disability, allowing me to park free in most car parks. how will the parking vultures check if a vehicle is exempt?

It might be worth dropping an e-mail to your local council so that they can make sure something is in place.

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
It will be interesting to see what difference it makes on the continent. I have never subscribed to the information often quoted by other posters that you need your vehicle excise licence when not using UK roads and have spent hours trawling the EU directives to find firstly evidence that the laws were made and secondly that they were adopted by the various member states.
So if DVLA release their database to the EU I will be very surprised.[/

The law is that any vehicle being used on a public road in a country other than the country of registration must be fully compliant with the law of usage in the vehicles registered country ie; must show a current vehicle excise licence. :Eeek:

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
The DVLA technology is suspect.

:Doh:

You're not kidding.
After the complete mess up with our registration number a few weeks ago a second registration document arrived with a completely different registration number.
They asked me to send it back marked "confidential" probably so a manager wouldn't see it but that I would have to pay postage.

I burnt it:ROFLMAO:

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now

Maybe disabled drivers will be issued with disc as a special case or it may tied up with the blue disabled card.

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
Your vehicle needs to be SORN IF NOT TAXED. IF NOT SORN NEEDS TO BE SCRAPPED OR EXPORTED. What category does it fit in when abroad and not taxed ??? BUSBY::bigsmile:
Surely it is Off road as from as inland revue is concerned after all it is called an OFF Road notification. The Excise licence is required for vehicles being used on UK roads.

Diddly

Free Member
Nov 15, 2013
Durham
Funster No
MH
Not yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Maybe disabled drivers will be issued with disc as a special case or it may tied up with the blue disabled card.

The blue badge belongs to the disabled person, not the vehicle.

Disabled people with blue badges should already be on council databases. Some poor sole will have to attempt to transfer the info to the Inland Revenue. That's where the fun (or not) will start when you park in a blue badge space and the badge displayed isn't on the database. :Sad:

It's possible that this could catch out all those with fake blue badges.

Looks like a money earner to me (for the gvt).

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
The reason for this is the sheer millions of pounds they will save in printing and posting of millions of VED discs - not to be convenience for us.

Trikeman. :winky:

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
The blue badge belongs to the disabled person, not the vehicle.

Disabled people with blue badges should already be on council databases. Some poor sole will have to attempt to transfer the info to the Inland Revenue. That's where the fun (or not) will start when you park in a blue badge space and the badge displayed isn't on the database. :Sad:

It's possible that this could catch out all those with fake blue badges.

Looks like a money earner to me (for the gvt).

New blue badges are issued via DVLA I think, my last application took about 3 weeks due to the council "having to send the details away"
Cheers, Dave:thumb:

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
Sorry folks I do not like the sound of this at all, I do not use my computer to pay bills/bank/etc. do not trust it especially after someone tried to take nearly a £1000 , but was picked up by Alliance and Leicester at the time and was stopped.

Technology is not fool proof, so I see serious problems ahead. when are they going to put chips in us, mark my words that ia not far off, not so far fetched as some of you may think, don`t they take babies finger and foot prints, or have I got that wrong? :Eeek:

I have always thought we should adopt the French way, car tax disc, insurance disc on windscreen.

What about the foreign drivers then? I do despair with this country. I expect I am on my own with this one but what the hey.

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Yes, we currently have pieces of paper for Insurance, MoT and VED but to what extent to police rely on them these days? Aren't checks already undertaken using electronic databases?

only people i've seen checking discs for a long time have been traffic enforcement officers, and then only if they are issuing a ticket.

Duadua

Free Member
Nov 22, 2013
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2006
One day 2 policemen came to my door enquiring if I owned a motorcycle. Yes I said.

Where is your m/c? Outside on the road I said.

Can we see it together outside? Yes I said.

2 more plain clothes police arrived in unmarked car.

4 police and I walking around the m/c. Myself scratching my head wondering what was going on. My docs were asked for and I produced them.

I was then shown the tax disc. It was for a Vauxhall Cavalier! Same expiry date and disc colour so I hadn't noticed.

Apparently an exact same m/c (make, mod and col etc. and false no plate to match mine) had been used in Amsterdam, with my very own tax disc, had been involved in a serious crime.

It must have been serious, because 4 police in a different country were asked to check myself and the bike out.

So I have no problem with getting rid of the damp and sometimes swapped tax discs.::bigsmile:

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
I dont think checking tractors tax discs has ever been a very high priority so they will probably get away with it less now.
Been very low priority ever since the rate for tractors dropped from £15 to £0 many years ago. Still have to display a disc though, so the 'non-display' penalty still theoretically applies. I suspect it's only ever applied when they are being clobbered for something else, like no trailer lights or dropping mud all over the road.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
apparently we will also be able to pay by monthly direct debit. makes sense all round really. I think the only reason dvla has been kept going this long is because so many work there and it would not be a good move politically to have them all on the dole. How many years has everyone been saying to scrap the roa
d tax and put it on fuel then those that use it most, pay most.

If it was closed WHO would do their work? BUSBY::bigsmile:
Only a small part is road tax.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Sorry, I think you missed the point. Loads of farmers use vehicles other than tractors to get around and go into the village or local small town. If they don't use a major route (think driving around rural wales or the fens) then the chances of being caught are almost zero

Wont affect me.:roflmto: BUSBY.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp

I have a blue badge and can park free but i cannot understand WHY.BUSBY:roflmto:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Sorry folks I do not like the sound of this at all, I do not use my computer to pay bills/bank/etc. do not trust it especially after someone tried to take nearly a £1000 , but was picked up by Alliance and Leicester at the time and was stopped.

Technology is not fool proof, so I see serious problems ahead. when are they going to put chips in us, mark my words that ia not far off, not so far fetched as some of you may think, don`t they take babies finger and foot prints, or have I got that wrong? :Eeek:

I have always thought we should adopt the French way, car tax disc, insurance disc on windscreen.

What about the foreign drivers then? I do despair with this country. I expect I am on my own with this one but what the hey.

BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING, George Orwell was correct.BUSBY:roflmto:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back