Suzuki Owners Xmas Present… (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
You would struggle with this😁😁IT490 single😳😳😳had a few YZ490s also a beast to kick over and I did kick it over once without a boot on and paid the price🤬🤬kicks back like a donkey on crystal meths😬😬😬
View attachment 846134
Ah YZ 490, also prone to rough running when starting, pop it into gear, drop the clutch, and roar away, backwards. Engine would start and run in reverse, really embarrassing when the elastic start gate pinged back:blusher:
Mike.

OP
OP
Coastal Cruiser.
Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Ah YZ 490, also prone to rough running when starting, pop it into gear, drop the clutch, and roar away, backwards. Engine would start and run in reverse, really embarrassing when the elastic start gate pinged back:blusher:
Mike.
Only ever seen that once when my mate went up a hill on his trials bike stalled then rolled back down in gear and the bike rode backwards 😁😁 didn’t think it was possible until then🤔🤔

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Me too, lead me on to my love of four strokes after the exhaust baffles all cracked and then it holed a piston. Two strokes are only good for garden machinery ! :imoutahere:
Oh how you missed out, Honda's CRM range, silky smooth, and grunt, and last forever. I never owned one that I didn't sell for more than I paid for it, and I had at least one from every MK.
Mike.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Only ever seen that once when my mate went up a hill on his trials bike stalled then rolled back down in gear and the bike rode backwards 😁😁 didn’t think it was possible until then🤔🤔
The GT185s had a strange electric starter. Can't remember the technicalities, but sometimes started backwards.
I think it put power into the bushes which spun the rotor.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We used to trail ride a Suzuki TS 185 (old p reg) a friend had a Bultaco Sherpa trials bikes that would fire up backwards.

Jan 3, 2023
Whitby, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starburst
Exp
From March 2023
I would never buy a Suzuki that had SRAD written on the side. Suzuki Ram Air Device?? WTF? It had its air intake pointing to the front…so what?
Suzuki Ram Air Direct - one of the first production bikes to utilise a pressurised air box for increased power. SRAD's are the bargain bike's of the moment.

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
I would never buy a Suzuki that had SRAD written on the side. Suzuki Ram Air Device?? WTF? It had its air intake pointing to the front…so what?
Been thinking about this and from memory of taking it apart the " Ram Air " device was shaped hood that bolted to the cylinder head. It was wider at the front than the back, thus forcing more air over the cooling fins when in motion. Was it innovative, effective, or just a gimmick 🤷
I do remember they needed Pyranha electronic ignition to make them run clean on low rpm. A 250CC that could whisk 2 people to a near ton figure was a thing of wonder, and a front disc brake. Getting spares for the things was another matter😒
Mike.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Oh how you missed out, Honda's CRM range, silky smooth, and grunt, and last forever. I never owned one that I didn't sell for more than I paid for it, and I had at least one from every MK.
Mike.
Our son had an elderly air cooled CR 80 that we bought as a basket case, the previous owner had been running it on the sea shore and got fed up with a persistent cutting out problem. The final straw was when he had to push it a couple of miles back along the beach when it had died with his young son on it, he was that cheesed off with it, that he just threw it in an outhouse when he got home.
The swinging arm was seized solid with salt rust as he'd had enough and didn't even wash it off when he got home. That took some sorting, basically had to drill it out over it's full length !
The misfire was down to a broken bracket on the air filter which let it rub on the wiring and shorted out the coil when you went over a bump.
Son had some fun on that, so we progressed to a water cooled CR 85 and he was fearless on it, he loved big jumps ! Then some scroat pulled our garage door off and that was the last we saw of it, our son was really upset, I remember him asking "Do you think they will look after it Dad ?" 😭

Dec 31, 2021
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix supreme
The 350lc was the ultimate screamer the fun began when they hit 6k on the rev counter, that was before the days of speed cameras tho

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
SRAD 1996 - 1999.
Which 70's strokers ran with pressurised air boxes?
Are you referring to the system that had an expansion cannister on the inlet manifold?
If so it was Yamaha, if not 🤷‍♂️
Mike.

Jan 3, 2023
Whitby, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starburst
Exp
From March 2023
They didn’t but it didn’t stop them using the term on some of their bikes for the ‘system’ that BouncyBoatFolk mentions in post #69.

Ian
"Ram Air" as fitted to the early GT250 / 380 / 550 was (supposedly) a cooling aid, which it wasn't. Nothing to do with induction.
SRAD was a cheap (and efficient) way of supercharging the inlet mixture without recourse to a mechanical system.

Jan 3, 2023
Whitby, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starburst
Exp
From March 2023
Are you referring to the system that had an expansion cannister on the inlet manifold?
If so it was Yamaha, if not 🤷‍♂️
Mike.
Ahh - the "boost bottles". Yamaha fitted them to some of their reed valve equipped MX bikes. They called it "YEIS" or Yamaha Energy Induction System.
A fancy acronym for an empty plastic bottle.

Nov 6, 2018
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740C A class
Exp
Im a Newbie
Still got my "Stinkpot" RGV 250. Getting harder to ride as coming close to 70 now. On a good day it will almost touch 130 (Indicated) Still pulls a croud smells lovely.

20200517_131950.jpg

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
None. We used to cut holes in the air boxes when we raced
Or more commonly, take the top of box off. But that was easier to see at scrutineering
Ha ha.the top flight MX boys always had a couple of extra chains in their air box for scrutineering, they would be removed after being weighed.
Mike.

May 26, 2023
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Swift c404
Exp
I had a Suzuki 500 twin two stroke in the late 70’s, very reliable bike, independent oil feed tank, ’cackled’ rather than purred.

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Last bike was a Dominater, nothing worth having after that.
Honda Dominator, yes great bike, I preferred the Africa Twin. I presumed you weren't referring to the old British ones that needed an oil tanker in tow to replenish what was leaking out of the crankcases ;)
Mike.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back