Suspicious Or What

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by speed080, Jul 21, 2015.

1. speed080

speed080 Read Only Funster

today I had m/home parked on road in front of house and a guy knocked on house door to ask if I would be prepared to sell my camper,he had a strong irish accent ,saying it was w what he wanted etc,he said he was from leeds 20 miles away and was touring around looking for vans and wanted mine. when told it was not for sale a car drew up and he left, I got a pic of car and reg. camper now on drive ,immobilised alarmed and blocked in with car ,guess where in sleeping for the next few nights and will inform police in morning . worrying times eh

• Like Like x 3
  2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

You have probably been marked as well.

An innocent looking chalk mark on garden wall or pavement outside your house.

Says "heres one worth stealing" to the follow on gang.

3. Weinsbergaman

Weinsbergaman

Good job you were there ;)

Ever thought of storage? Ours is in a Cossoa site http://www.cassoa.co.uk and we even get a discount on our insurance (y) Don't think I would ever store ours at home :(

Good luck,

Thanks Antony

4. speed080

better keep tracker contact number handy

• Like Like x 1
  5. speed080

yes to storage but just moved house ,it was in storage before we moved

6. wanderer

wanderer Funster

Same thing happened to me about 6 months ago , two pikies in a transit pulled up and asked to buy our motorhome i replied (which is a lie) that i couldn,t as it was my home , had no problems so far

7. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

We keep ours on the drive. It's locked alarmed and tracked but most importantly the keys are secure. It's close alongside a wall with its wheels locked to an angle and covered by cctv that emails me pics of movement on the drive. My main worry is losing the cat to be honest. Hopefully the dogs senses will detect anyone near the van. He's pretty reliable.
    Regarding these travellers.. they are only going to mark you out if they see you as an easy touch. A face to face challenge doesn't normal result in you becoming a victim. Good physical security and alertness normally works.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

That's the trouble with having van out front on view...Out of sight out of mind

• Like Like x 1
  9. jollyrodger

jollyrodger Funster Life Member

No yours not for sale but I wouldn't mind betting there could be a clone in the pipeline ,quite common with our traveling friends o_O

10. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

Is it a HOBBY? they like those and the caravans as well.

11. Janine

Janine Funster Life Member

I get them quite often around here - I just say 'yes, I'll take £35,000 for it'. (It's worth about £6000)

I had one try to argue that I was asking a ridiculous amount but when I reminded him that he'd started it, he walked off chuntering :)

• Like Like x 7
  12. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

Wise move.. Keep a watch out...
    I had same a few years ago, took number plate, blocked in van and was very wary for a time.

I am aware a lot of people back their vans on their driveways so they can pull out easier. However I pull mine in front first, a little thing but everything to make it harder to take..

13. parknride

parknride Funster

We have used storage and stored at home over many years. Van is tucked in but not hidden i like it close by for its conveniencs. Only problem we ever had was with a caravan in storage, they got past security gates and CCTV and got into a line of vans. They cut the alarm from outside and robbed the insides. They had keys for all of them!

14. buttons

buttons Funster

I cant see any gain or logic for someone knocking on your door asking if your van is for sale if he wanted to steal it. Where is the logic in that. I'm sure he had cash in his pocket and was chancing his luck at talking owners into selling their vans. Cash is a big persuaded if an owner is a bit short on cash. If you had shown any doubt when he asked if it was for sale then he would have made you an offer. All perfectly legal business practices. You have to be a bit more trusting when strangers knock on your door.(y)

• Like Like x 4
  15. chaser

chaser Funster

My sentiment exactly, i have often asked people if they want to sell something, don't know if you don't ask(y)

• Like Like x 2
  16. Oriel

Oriel

I agree with the above.

Up until very recently I ran a livery yard and there were always tales circulating of horses being plaited by gypsies in order to go back an steal them. The story went as follows: Someone (usually in a white van) would be seen lurking by the yard. This person would supposedly put a plait in the mane or tail so that others would come later to steal the marked horse. People used to get so upset and loose sleep over it. There was absolutely no logic. Why on earth would any thief alert the owner beforehand? The plaits were nothing more than wind plaits. I expect the same story is still going on today... the infamous lurky white van was seen from John o'Groats to Lands End!

A quick check on the national horse database showed that no horse was ever stolen in this way. In fact very few horses are stolen, the ones that do are those who are often out on loan to someone who then decides to sell them - you're far more likely to have a horse dumped in your paddock.

• Like Like x 2
  17. ivorantony

ivorantony Funster

In my neck of the woods they usually use the talk about selling your van to have a good look at any security you may have, their eyes are looking about everywhere and if there are two one try's to keep you in conversation while the other sees if there is a security weakness that they can exploit, IMO they are scum of the earth!,

• Like Like x 3
  18. buttons

buttons Funster

They are just looking around for anything else that they can make you an offer on. I think scum is a bit harsh, you dont even know them, all they did was knock on your door.

• Like Like x 3
  19. ivorantony

ivorantony Funster

I speak from my own experience! I have had one caravan and one trailer plus several bikes stolen from me plus being burgled twice in my 44 years here with the last time taking keys and my car to transport my stuff away,
    From my experience they are scum of the earth!!! Parasites feeding of the hard working people!!

• Like Like x 7
  20. chaser

chaser Funster

No one disputing that, and there are always people out there to rob you but in this instance , there was no need for the bloke to knock on his door , alerting him to his presence, he could just as easily sat in his motor and got more info than he got by asking , and nicked it later without anyone being the wiser.

• Like Like x 1