Suspicious Or What (2 Viewers)

speed080

Free Member
May 28, 2010
Funster No
today I had m/home parked on road in front of house and a guy knocked on house door to ask if I would be prepared to sell my camper,he had a strong irish accent ,saying it was w what he wanted etc,he said he was from leeds 20 miles away and was touring around looking for vans and wanted mine. when told it was not for sale a car drew up and he left, I got a pic of car and reg. camper now on drive ,immobilised alarmed and blocked in with car ,guess where in sleeping for the next few nights and will inform police in morning . worrying times eh

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You have probably been marked as well.

An innocent looking chalk mark on garden wall or pavement outside your house.

Says "heres one worth stealing" to the follow on gang.

Weinsbergaman

Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Wirral, North West England
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Good job you were there ;)

Ever thought of storage? Ours is in a Cossoa site Link Removed and we even get a discount on our insurance (y) Don't think I would ever store ours at home :(

Good luck,

Thanks Antony

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
speed080

speed080

Free Member
May 28, 2010
Funster No
yes to storage but just moved house ,it was in storage before we moved

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
Same thing happened to me about 6 months ago , two Itinerants in a transit pulled up and asked to buy our motorhome i replied (which is a lie) that i couldn,t as it was my home , had no problems so far

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We keep ours on the drive. It's locked alarmed and tracked but most importantly the keys are secure. It's close alongside a wall with its wheels locked to an angle and covered by cctv that emails me pics of movement on the drive. My main worry is losing the cat to be honest. Hopefully the dogs senses will detect anyone near the van. He's pretty reliable.
Regarding these travellers.. they are only going to mark you out if they see you as an easy touch. A face to face challenge doesn't normal result in you becoming a victim. Good physical security and alertness normally works.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
That's the trouble with having van out front on view...Out of sight out of mind

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
No yours not for sale but I wouldn't mind betting there could be a clone in the pipeline ,quite common with our traveling friends o_O

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Is it a HOBBY? they like those and the caravans as well.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Wise move.. Keep a watch out...
I had same a few years ago, took number plate, blocked in van and was very wary for a time.

I am aware a lot of people back their vans on their driveways so they can pull out easier. However I pull mine in front first, a little thing but everything to make it harder to take..

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
We have used storage and stored at home over many years. Van is tucked in but not hidden i like it close by for its conveniencs. Only problem we ever had was with a caravan in storage, they got past security gates and CCTV and got into a line of vans. They cut the alarm from outside and robbed the insides. They had keys for all of them!

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I cant see any gain or logic for someone knocking on your door asking if your van is for sale if he wanted to steal it. Where is the logic in that. I'm sure he had cash in his pocket and was chancing his luck at talking owners into selling their vans. Cash is a big persuaded if an owner is a bit short on cash. If you had shown any doubt when he asked if it was for sale then he would have made you an offer. All perfectly legal business practices. You have to be a bit more trusting when strangers knock on your door.(y)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I cant see any gain or logic for someone knocking on your door asking if your van is for sale if he wanted to steal it. Where is the logic in that. I'm sure he had cash in his pocket and was chancing his luck at talking owners into selling their vans. Cash is a big persuaded if an owner is a bit short on cash. If you had shown any doubt when he asked if it was for sale then he would have made you an offer. All perfectly legal business practices. You have to be a bit more trusting when strangers knock on your door.(y)
My sentiment exactly, i have often asked people if they want to sell something, don't know if you don't ask(y)

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015

I agree with the above.

Up until very recently I ran a livery yard and there were always tales circulating of horses being plaited by gypsies in order to go back an steal them. The story went as follows: Someone (usually in a white van) would be seen lurking by the yard. This person would supposedly put a plait in the mane or tail so that others would come later to steal the marked horse. People used to get so upset and loose sleep over it. There was absolutely no logic. Why on earth would any thief alert the owner beforehand? The plaits were nothing more than wind plaits. I expect the same story is still going on today... the infamous lurky white van was seen from John o'Groats to Lands End!

A quick check on the national horse database showed that no horse was ever stolen in this way. In fact very few horses are stolen, the ones that do are those who are often out on loan to someone who then decides to sell them - you're far more likely to have a horse dumped in your paddock.

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
In my neck of the woods they usually use the talk about selling your van to have a good look at any security you may have, their eyes are looking about everywhere and if there are two one try's to keep you in conversation while the other sees if there is a security weakness that they can exploit, IMO they are scum of the earth!,

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
In my neck of the woods they usually use the talk about selling your van to have a good look at any security you may have, their eyes are looking about everywhere and if there are two one try's to keep you in conversation while the other sees if there is a security weakness that they can exploit, IMO they are scum of the earth!,
They are just looking around for anything else that they can make you an offer on. I think scum is a bit harsh, you dont even know them, all they did was knock on your door.

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
They are just looking around for anything else that they can make you an offer on. I think scum is a bit harsh, you dont even know them, all they did was knock on your door.
I speak from my own experience! I have had one caravan and one trailer plus several bikes stolen from me plus being burgled twice in my 44 years here with the last time taking keys and my car to transport my stuff away,
From my experience they are scum of the earth!!! Parasites feeding of the hard working people!!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I speak from my own experience! I have had one caravan and one trailer plus several bikes stolen from me plus being burgled twice in my 44 years here with the last time taking keys and my car to transport my stuff away,
From my experience they are scum of the earth!!! Parasites feeding of the hard working people!!
No one disputing that, and there are always people out there to rob you but in this instance , there was no need for the bloke to knock on his door , alerting him to his presence, he could just as easily sat in his motor and got more info than he got by asking , and nicked it later without anyone being the wiser.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
They tried it on in my road last year. one neighbor stupidly agreed to have new tiled roof fitted ( it would be a kindness to call them cowboys!) What a balls up of a job! they flooded it with labor and done it in 3 days! a 4 bed detached house. it needs complete stripping and doing again properly..I cant begin to explain whats wrong with it. the owner oblivious (ex tax inspector)

Anyway they saw it was a nice upmarket little road and harassed everyone trying to get us to as well. I just said I'm moving soon so no way. everyone one of them that called was dressed smart, shaved and smelling like they just got out of the shower (probably my neighbors) dangerous people.. they just look at us as hosts to feed off:cautious:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I used to get it all the time -just trying there luck to see if they can buy it cheaply --now they ask if I can convert there van :DI'll leave you to guess the answer to both ;):)
terry

Sep 28, 2010
Castletownbere West Cork
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
11 years
I had my Bedford Rascal 940cc motor home stolen they never gave me a heads up. It would do 40mph on the flat 60mph down hill or being sucked along by a lorry. It was alarmed and immobilised, it was in a locked compound covered by CCTV. The person caught on CCTV took 22 minutes to by-pass everything. then drove it out of the compound and went back and closed the gates. If you could do all that you would nick something a bit better. If they want it they will nick no matter what.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
I have had several of our travelling friends knock on my door. they all want to buy my van. I just tell them how long I have had it. then say thanks but I will keep it. one or two come back quite regularly. but not all them to be trusted. just ask @lugnutt .

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
today I had m/home parked on road in front of house and a guy knocked on house door to ask if I would be prepared to sell my camper,he had a strong irish accent ,saying it was w what he wanted etc,he said he was from leeds 20 miles away and was touring around looking for vans and wanted mine. when told it was not for sale a car drew up and he left, I got a pic of car and reg. camper now on drive ,immobilised alarmed and blocked in with car ,guess where in sleeping for the next few nights and will inform police in morning . worrying times eh
Have you checked to see if the car is taxed ... could possibly cast some light on how 'honest' the chap might have been.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
That wouldn't mean a thing as it's easy to clone a number plate.
... yes, but it should give bit of a clue if the car it's associated with is different!

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp

Whilst you are probably right on most occasions, I suspect that often they are just casing the place up as they casually ask you questions. Our local school caretaker had the exact thing happen to him. A man of Irish descent asked if he wanted to sell his caravan, which. ironically was around the back of the school and couldn't be seen unless someone had been poking around. He replied..No and that night 2 fence panels were removed along with the wheel clamp and chains, hitched it up......never to be seen again.

We are inundated with "travellers" of all sorts this time of year here in Dorset. Many are honest and hard-working and I also have several friends who are of Romany descent so I am not talking out of my orifice. Currently we have around 3 illegal encampments on public carparks and open spaces. They were all entered illegally. Our local council have kindly supplied skips and toilets whilst they go to court to get orders for them to leave.....this happens every single year just before the Steam Fair and Summer holidays.When they finally leave it costs thousands to clear up the s**t that wasn't put in the skips or toilets.

With this in mind I would be very sceptical if someone knocked on my door and asked if my van was for sale.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back