Supermarket diesel (2 Viewers)

Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
I've been warned about using cheap diesel from the likes of TESCOS because of it's inferior quality and blending. I now use BP. What do other Funsters do?

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
Use the cheapest all the time. It all comes from the same refineries using the same pipes.
The fancy and dearer options are dosed with additives but the actual fuel is the same product.
Some use the 'super' product and get supposedly more mpg and/or power but I don't believe the extra cost is VFM.
Supermarkets cannot afford to sell crap fuel but usually keep the cost down by subsidies as they want customer loyalty

Sheldon C

Free Member
Mar 30, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
Euromobil 695EB Profila
Exp
Since 1995
I find ignoring the unsubstantiated scare stories about the quality of diesel fuel from supermarkets the best thing.

As there are not many reports of terminal engine failure attributed to Supermarket fuel, I feel happy to stick it into my motors.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
I've been warned about using cheap diesel from the likes of TESCOS because of it's inferior quality and blending. I now use BP. What do other Funsters do?

'' Supermarket fuel '' does not & never has existed, however fuel sold by supermarkets & sourced from the same 6 or 7 refineries as all other fuel sold in the U.K. does.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I have heard all the arguments that it's all the same etc etc but I never use supermarket stuff all the same, and I even use the super from time to time.

Martin

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I think all the internet gossip about supermarket fuel being inferior is a load of nonsense BUT...

Even if their diesel is lower quality than others', my engine was built in 1987.

I seriously doubt the fuel then was of better quality than the supermarket stuff now.

JJ :cool:

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I've been warned about using cheap diesel from the likes of TESCOS because of it's inferior quality and blending.

This topic crops up once every couple of months and it's utter unadulterated nonsense. (y)

All fuel sold in the UK for cars has to meet the same standard. Surely nobody in their right mind seriously thinks the "brand name" garages are voluntarily exceeding that standard?

@DuxDeluxe one for you if you can be bothered to explain it yet again (y)

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
This is another of those argument threads ,if you use the supermarket diesel you are hardly likely to believe its better to use the more expensive stuff . If you pay the extra it is because you think your vehicle runs better and further . I am the same as Martin and always use the super when abroad .

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I have a Nissan Navara 4 x 4 and if I use supermarket diesel it runs fine until I accelerate hard and then it will jump into limp mode which usually happens when I'm speeding up to join traffic via a slip road, not and ideal place to loose all power.
It then requires a switch off for about 30 seconds for it to reset the system. Start it up again and it's fine until next over exuberance with the throttle.
Not knowing why this was happening at the time I took it into the main dealer for diagnostics on their code reader. When they retrieved the codes I was asked where I purchased my fuel from normally and when I replied Tesco's the reply came back that that was likely to be the cause of my problem as they had see the same problem on other Navaras and the common denominator was some supermarket diesel.
I was a little sceptical but I have to say that after filling up with branded diesel and the supermarket diesel passing out of the system it ran as right as rain until it started doing it again and I found that my wife forgot and filled up at Tesco's.
Branded fuel in from then on and no problems.
This may only be a problem with Navaras of that engine type but for me and my Navara supermarket diesel is a no no.

Deleted User
Last time this question was asked (Nov 2016) there was well over 100 replies so I doubt you will get a definitive answer.

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
Sainsburys sued one of the major fuel companies over suggestions supermarket fuel was inferior and won big damages. It seems to be a bit like fact that generic painkillers are just as good as the 'magic' big brands

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
I test tesco, asda, sainsbury, Morrisons, BP and Shell a while back
Tesco was worse followed by Sainsbury in terms of MPG however Morrissons was top only beaten by Shell however for price difference I use Morrisons

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I've pretty much only used Tesco fuel for years unless I'm away somewhere in which case I use whatever I can find when I need it.

That's both petrol and diesel in cars (performance and 4x4) bikes (performance and not) and the motorhome.

Never had the slightest inkling of an issue and there's never been any difference in either performance or mpg when I've used something different.

Deleted User
I have a Nissan Navara 4 x 4 and if I use supermarket diesel it runs fine until I accelerate hard and then it will jump into limp mode which usually happens when I'm speeding up to join traffic via a slip road, not and ideal place to loose all power.
It then requires a switch off for about 30 seconds for it to reset the system. Start it up again and it's fine until next over exuberance with the throttle.
Not knowing why this was happening at the time I took it into the main dealer for diagnostics on their code reader. When they retrieved the codes I was asked where I purchased my fuel from normally and when I replied Tesco's the reply came back that that was likely to be the cause of my problem as they had see the same problem on other Navaras and the common denominator was some supermarket diesel.
I was a little sceptical but I have to say that after filling up with branded diesel and the supermarket diesel passing out of the system it ran as right as rain until it started doing it again and I found that my wife forgot and filled up at Tesco's.
Branded fuel in from then on and no problems.
This may only be a problem with Navaras of that engine type but for me and my Navara supermarket diesel is a no no.

I had the same problem on my Mercedes I was told it was the EGR valve sticking, no mention of fuel, I think it's all the same. Comes from the same same refineries.

Spongy

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Sainsburys sued one of the major fuel companies over suggestions supermarket fuel was inferior and won big damages. It seems to be a bit like fact that generic painkillers are just as good as the 'magic' big brands

The fuel is the same. But additives are added according to which retailer it goes to and which pumps its distributed by.

They do of course have to sell at ultra competitive prices which why they sell the cheapest blend to the tightest people.

Anyone who has the later common rail type diesels especially those with DPF filters are completely and utterly missing the point by using the basic cheap fuels.

Of course so many will argue to the contrary and it's thier cars so I couldn't give a monkeys.

You will get slightly better MPG but that's not the real point it's the cleaner burn that keeps the engine internals clean and your filters clear that matters.

I'm saying Nuffink more Nuffink not a jot or diddly squat Nuffink. Nowt... Bugger all.

It's all been said time and time again anyway.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Morrisons is cheapest followed asda who adjust prices down to match tesco last always 2p dearer if not more
Thats in my area can't say other places
Joe

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
....just add a dollop of 2 stroke oil and you'll be fine :whistle:

Oct 3, 2014
Llanelli, Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido 891F A Class
Exp
Since 2014
I run a Toyota 1.4 diesel and have done various tests between super market diesel and well known brands I find that the car runs much better on Esso diesel and can give up to 6 mpg gallon.

Richard

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
This topic crops up once every couple of months and it's utter unadulterated nonsense. (y)

All fuel sold in the UK for cars has to meet the same standard. Surely nobody in their right mind seriously thinks the "brand name" garages are voluntarily exceeding that standard?

@DuxDeluxe one for you if you can be bothered to explain it yet again (y)
You are absolutely right and Sorry, no I can't. Explained it all many times before to people who think they know better (as you know (y)) both here and elsewhere. Now I have retired from the fuel testing and quality business I really don't need the hassle. Perhaps I should have kept the page long explanation on a clipboard somewhere..........

Cheers and thanks for the mention (y)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I run a Toyota 1.4 diesel and have done various tests between super market diesel and well known brands I find that the car runs much better on Esso diesel and can give up to 6 mpg gallon.

Richard
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
You are absolutely right and Sorry, no I can't. Explained it all many times before to people who think they know better (as you know (y)) both here and elsewhere. Now I have retired from the fuel testing and quality business I really don't need the hassle. Perhaps I should have kept the page long explanation on a clipboard somewhere..........

Cheers and thanks for the mention (y)

I'm saying Nuffink...........

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016

Richard

The very same unadulterated fuel that is dispensed from the very same 6 or 7 U.K. refineries . . . . ?

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I've run our Moho for many trips and here I used Asda and in France I usually use L'eclerc. I've always been happy at the mpg.. However, over the years I've seen these suggestions that it's not as good as other fuels and last year, a Moho owner convinced me to try a 'decent' fuel and furthermore as I was going into Luxembourg then fill up on Premium quality and it'll clean your engine
Ok, apparently it's like an internal valet.
So, fuelled up with Premium and ran round and before I left Luxembourg, I topped up again to ensure the 'quality' fuel. I'm pretty fastidious at doing my mpg and so when I got home, I filled up with Asda and later did my calculations.
OMG!!!! How is that good. I was at least 20% worse mpg than with the fuel from supermarkets.
From now on its back to Asda here and local supermarket fuel when abroad. I'm just hoping that my mpg reverts to the standard I attained before.
No more Premium quality for me. What an absolute waste of money.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
At the end of the day what I put in my MH/Car is my choice and likewise what you do with yours is up to you.
Supermarket fuel sells and appears not to be a problem - likewise top end fuel sells maybe not as much as supermarket, but it does.............. so who wins?????? the man taking our money!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back