Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
If cyclists were compelled to wear the equivalent of a dashcam
would it enable those responsible to be prosecuted whether on cycling or Driving side.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
would it enable those responsible to be prosecuted whether on cycling or Driving side.
Well they are available, cycle mounted cameras that is. However I am not sure how safe they would be in a crash - Michael Schumaker's accident was made worse by his helmet camera was one claim I read.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
You cant keep seeing this pic I've only posted it once before! But in fairness I bought it for my mother in August just after she had a 4 month stint in hospital and I thought we should take her somewhere quite so she could have her first go. Forgot about harvesting but the driver of the tractor was laughing.
Have sent you a PM...(y)(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You would think so but courts have been very reluctant to accept "home movie" footage from helmet mounted cameras. Even when the video evidence clearly show dangerous driving by motorists. This may seem odd but I think there is merit in it. The alternative is a world where we go around filming each other then trying to get a prosecution.

Image the situation described in the OP being recorded. "Look at these Lycra wearing idiots holding me up! I want them prosecuted!" Not sure I want to live in that world.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Dunno about helmet cams, but dash cams are now considered important evidence in an accident investigation

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
So many things need sorting out on the roads, like raising the age of driving generally, as many accidents are caused by young males, completely out of proportion to their numbers!!! Cyclists need to have number plates and minimum 3rd party insurance. But since much of this is unpopular and the status quo a good earner for all concerned not much of any use will happen any time soon.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Have to disagree re raising the age..
It really is not so much age related as EXPERIENCE related
by raising the age someone is allowed to drive all that would happen is a postponement of the same problems.
Unless you are going to raise the age to say, 30 ( might seem daft to say so high but just think about it.. LOTS of 20 somethings are probably as least as likely to show off as a teenager ) I do not think it is the answer
Same as making the test harder.
For me, the answer is as per some other countries
First two years of driving is a probationary period.
Not allowed on certain roads unless accompanied, not allowed above certain speed on ANY road, and a curfew in place on when a new driver is allowed to drive

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Have to disagree re raising the age..
It really is not so much age related as EXPERIENCE related
by raising the age someone is allowed to drive all that would happen is a postponement of the same problems.
Unless you are going to raise the age to say, 30 ( might seem daft to say so high but just think about it.. LOTS of 20 somethings are probably as least as likely to show off as a teenager ) I do not think it is the answer
Same as making the test harder.
For me, the answer is as per some other countries
First two years of driving is a probationary period.
Not allowed on certain roads unless accompanied, not allowed above certain speed on ANY road, and a curfew in place on when a new driver is allowed to drive
You only have to google 'teenager driving dead injury' to find out 1000's of reasons why the driving age should be increased, ALONG with your recommendations........

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
The lines are certainly drawn on this thread! Usual nonsense from drivers who like to tar all cyclists with the same brush (sizing gone weird - God knows why?)

Everyone cycles in Amsterdam primarily because its encouraged and SAFE! Even school children.

Nothing wrong with a few hills...Gets your heart working, anyway its the going down the other side thats fun. Sitting in traffic, jealousy taking your frustration out on cyclists cruising by in traffic, not that exciting is it!lol

As for being asked to slow down race by marshalls... the sheer audacity to hold you up! I guess you would have a fit at diversions for marathons/ roads races..whatever. What about the tour de france coming here? HOW DARE THEY!:D

I would rather cycle any day then drive

edit: i use a headcam for my own safety, in that if i get murdered on the road at least there is a chance of prosecuting the barsteward

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
You only have to google 'teenager driving dead injury' to find out 1000's of reasons why the driving age should be increased, ALONG with your recommendations........

Yes, but increase the age and the same results would be forthcoming but the age would just be higher !

I have oft said that anyone wanting to drive a car should do at least a year on a moped.. and not just own one but have to keep a log of provable mileages done !

I honestly believe that would massively reduce injuries to cyclists, motorcyclists and pedestrians

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Yes, but increase the age and the same results would be forthcoming but the age would just be higher !

I have oft said that anyone wanting to drive a car should do at least a year on a moped.. and not just own one but have to keep a log of provable mileages done !

I honestly believe that would massively reduce injuries to cyclists, motorcyclists and pedestrians

Hmm well I guess that would weed out the terminally useless and/or dangerous drivers.......but what about people who through disability are unable to ride a moped ???

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
The lines are certainly drawn on this thread! Usual nonsense from drivers who like to tar all cyclists with the same brush (sizing gone weird - God knows why?)

Everyone cycles in Amsterdam primarily because its encouraged and SAFE! Even school children.

Nothing wrong with a few hills...Gets your heart working, anyway its the going down the other side thats fun. Sitting in traffic, jealousy taking your frustration out on cyclists cruising by in traffic, not that exciting is it!lol

As for being asked to slow down race by marshalls... the sheer audacity to hold you up! I guess you would have a fit at diversions for marathons/ roads races..whatever. What about the tour de france coming here? HOW DARE THEY!:D

edit: i use a headcam for my own safety, in that if i get murdered on the road at least there is a chance of prosecuting the barsteward

hmm not exactly safe, as a pedestrian heading towards Camp Zeeberg over the bridge I have nearly been mown down many a time by idiotic moped drivers (many seem to be not Dutch) and cyclists. I think the cyclists are as in danger from the moped drivers as the pedestrians.

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
You would think so but courts have been very reluctant to accept "home movie" footage from helmet mounted cameras. Even when the video evidence clearly show dangerous driving by motorists. This may seem odd but I think there is merit in it. The alternative is a world where we go around filming each other then trying to get a prosecution.

Image the situation described in the OP being recorded. "Look at these Lycra wearing idiots holding me up! I want them prosecuted!" Not sure I want to live in that world.

That was definitely not the case.
The op could and did overtake safely but wanted to give the cyclists the chance to go single file first and also has recorded evidence taken by Roadhawk HD.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007

Sitting in traffic, jealousy taking your frustration out on cyclists cruising by in traffic, not that exciting is it!lol

Most of my commuting is on 2 wheels, but the motorised variety. No jealous frustration on my part, as you may imagine, I'm also fairly agile (but I do obey red lights on a motorcycle). I reserve cycling for pleasure, having no need of a battle for supremacy for a section of the road with bigger, faster, harder hitting traffic.

Sometimes I commute along the A4 in Berkshire, for some reason a stretch of that road between Theale and Thatcham is very popular for cycle races/time trials or whatever - usually scheduled perfectly to coincide with the evening rush hour traffic, not the most sensible in my opinion.

As for sensible, some of the idiots participating in said cycle events appear to value the race/time more so than their own welfare given how they navigate the traffic in slower sections of the road, not looking as they are swerving in/out from the inside to the middle of the road to be almost taken out by motorcycles already overtaking slower moving vehicles. Performing U-turns across the A4 in the face of oncoming traffic, again with barely a glance first to verify if it safe to perform the manoeuvre. I don't need to reiterate the mobile obstacle of those cyclists riding abreast here, we've done that one to death already. To be clear, I think these are the more extreme end of the cycling fraternity.

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
The lines are certainly drawn on this thread! Usual nonsense from drivers who like to tar all cyclists with the same brush (sizing gone weird...

Just like all the other motorhomer v cyclist threads, generator lover/generator hater, eurobox v rv, campsite dwellers/freeloading tossers et cetera.

Ultimately, it all comes down to the profound wisdom of Calvin and Hobbes:

graham&shirley

Free Member
Jul 1, 2014
Preston lancashire
Funster No
MH
RV A class
Exp
On the other hand, as a cyclist, if you cower in the gutter, some pratt in a lorry (or RV) will take advantage of all that space, overtake you and have you off your bike even if something is coming the other way!

Graham drives a truck so are you saying he is a pratt and he also owns an RV so he is a pratt again.
I can assure you in the RV he has much better vision of cyclists coming up the inside as we are left hand drive.
In the truck they have a warning sign on the back of the lorry saying no undertaking and it has a picture of a
pushbike on it. All he can say is they can not read and are also color blind as he see many shooting across red
lights.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
... and are also color blind as he see many shooting across red
lights.
Come to Plymouth and stand beside the Marsh Mills roundabout and you can see cars, vans and trucks driving through red lights at virtually every change of the lights, so it isn't just cyclists.

But the difference, as I tried to point out earlier is cyclists only risk their own lives by cycling badly, just like a pedestrian sprinting across a busy road.

Some cyclists also ride through red lights when it is safer - hard one to explain this, but if the coast is clear then it can be safer than waiting for the mass start when the lights go green. Very like crossing the road at a Pelican Crossing when the little green Man is actually red but there is no traffic and the road is empty. Of course no one here ever did that.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I can assure you in the RV he has much better vision of cyclists coming up the inside as we are left hand drive.
In the truck they have a warning sign on the back of the lorry saying no undertaking and it has a picture of a
pushbike on it. All he can say is they can not read and are also color blind as he see many shooting across red
lights.

They don't need to be able to read , it is illegal to 'undertake', even on a bike.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie

I thought it was illegal to race on the queens highway

Also said RACE Marshall has no jurisdiction on the public highway to ask or impede your progress :whistle: :)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
They don't need to be able to read , it is illegal to 'undertake', even on a bike.
Sorrryyyy ( seems to be my day for saying that LOL !! )
It has not been illegal to undertake since the change in the law in 2002 ( might have been in the later amendment in 2004 but do not think so ).
It is no longer a law but was amended to an 'act' which is completely different.
No longer is it in any up to date road traffic law books that undertaking is an illegal act.

Do not feel bad about it.. The amount of police officers who are unaware of the change is pretty staggering to be honest !

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
Spent years crossing the A170 Thirsk/Scarborough road on horseback, I've had a horse since I was 12 and could write a book on motorist, that makes cycles a piece of cake. Most drivers are pratts. I cycle but mostly keep to the footpath, I'm literally to scared to go on the road

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I thought it was illegal to race on the queens highway

Also said RACE Marshall has no jurisdiction on the public highway to ask or impede your progress :whistle: :)

Spot on.. it is not only illegal to race but to 'pace' too
The only exceptions are when an event is pre-arranged with the local authorities ( including the police etc )

Further, there is still in force the old riot act

Any meeting of 5 or more people in a public place considered to cause mischief or incite riot can be deemed a riotous assembly and dealt with accordingly

make of that what you will LOL !!!! ( I know it would fit us lot at any of the Funster meets !!!!! :rofl:

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Spot on.. it is not only illegal to race but to 'pace' too
The only exceptions are when an event is pre-arranged with the local authorities ( including the police etc )

Further, there is still in force the old riot act

Any meeting of 5 or more people in a public place considered to cause mischief or incite riot can be deemed a riotous assembly and dealt with accordingly

make of that what you will LOL !!!! ( I know it would fit us lot at any of the Funster meets !!!!! :rofl:

Ahh memories of closed to club rallies coming back to the old grey matter :D

I think we CALLED them navigational drives

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
When I am a cyclist I have the option of becoming a pedestrian when I wish.... I usually dismount, so becoming a pedestrian if a junction is very busy - I can then use pedestrian crossings legally and safely. I also dismount and push the bike if a dual use path is busy with pedestrians. It may not be law but to me makes sense that the most vulnerable road / path users have priority (even if they aren't the sharpest knives in the block).

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Oh dear, looking at the top of this page I find I am responsible for pushing this to eleven pages.

Can I ask Jim to close this thread before we all fall out with each other? We are not going to agree so let's call it a draw.

There is a much more life-enriching thread elsewhere about toilets I can recommend!

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Oh dear, looking at the top of this page I find I am responsible for pushing this to eleven pages.

Can I ask Jim to close this thread before we all fall out with each other? We are not going to agree so let's call it a draw.

There is a much more life-enriching thread elsewhere about toilets I can recommend!

Nowt wrong with the thread, the kind of discussion that prompts all involved to consider their driving attitude and helps keep a vibrant forum.

God save the Lycra

RVs rule OK :reel:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back