Suicidal Cyclists !!

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Larrynwin, Nov 15, 2014.

1. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Set out from home yesterday in RV with car in tow, all up around 45 ft. C classified quite narrow road , torrential rain, considerable laying water and subsequent poor visibility.
    Two cycling enthusiasts in lycra ahead riding two abreast, they didnt look to see who wants to overtake and refused to give up their "right" to half of the road and just moved tighter together.
    I hooted more than once and in the end overtook them with reasonable clearance but just how unnessarily dangerous. :Eeek:

• Like Like x 8
  2. Mikey RV

Mikey RV Funster

One of my pet hates Larryh, no consideration for anyone else. We have a road down this way they cycle on two a breast and just the other side of the hedge is a cycle way.

• Like Like x 7
  3. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

On the other hand, as a cyclist, if you cower in the gutter, some pratt in a lorry (or RV) will take advantage of all that space, overtake you and have you off your bike even if something is coming the other way!

• Like Like x 20
  4. fastpat

fastpat Read Only Funster

Two questions I always put to drivers in such circumstances:

Perhaps they didn't think that it was safe for you to overtake at that point, as jonandshell have pointed out?

Do you give the cyclist the same space you give a horse rider?

• Like Like x 9
  5. Tootles

Tootles Funster

And another two questions.....
    Is it still illegal to ride abreast of another cyclist on the highway?
    Why do cyclists on the road seem to think they are competing in the Tour De France?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
    • Like Like x 5
  6. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Exactly....

"Never hug the kerb. That's rule one of road positioning on a bicycle. You need to be further out into the road, sometimes right in the middle of the traffic stream. Less assertive cyclists worry that being further out may put them in the way of the traffic. It won't: you are the traffic. Being in the traffic stream helps you to get treated like traffic."

every right to be there..they can wait and overtake when its safe to do so. Riding at the kerb will give them every excuse to overtake even when risky, it happens all the time.

4 times more likely to be involved in an accident on a bike

• Like Like x 13
  7. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

In general, motorists are very poor at giving cyclists sufficient consideration and room in the UK - compare with Holland for example.
    There are pros and cons regarding cycling two abreast. It is perfectly legal but should not be done in certain circumstances. The following two sources offer guidance - not my words but theirs:

Here is Highway code section 66 (from www.gov.uk)
    You should
    • keep both hands on the handlebars except when signalling or changing gear
    • keep both feet on the pedals
    • never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends
    • not ride close behind another vehicle
    • not carry anything which will affect your balance or may get tangled up with your wheels or chain
    • be considerate of other road users, particularly blind and partially sighted pedestrians. Let them know you are there when necessary, for example, by ringing your bell if you have one. It is recommended that a bell be fitted.
    And here is some advice from an oft-quoted advice guide for cyclists:

Why do motorists get annoyed by cyclists two abreast?
    There are many reasons why motorists tend to get annoyed so here are a few that I know of:
    • They think it's harder to overtake
    • They think it's illegal
    • They think it's dangerous in general
    • They think it means cyclists are not paying attention to the road
    So why do cyclists cycle two abreast? There are many reasons why cyclists choose to cycle two abreast so I'll give you the reasons that I know of.
    It's Safer!
    Simply put, it's safer for cyclists to ride two abreast, it means that motorists usually have to overtake in a proper manner rather than overtaking in the same lane as the cyclists. If a group of cyclists are in single file, motorists will often assume they can overtake in places which are not safe and will not leave the cyclist enough room. Motorists should give cyclists the same amount of room they would give another car when overaking (please see the Overtaking Cyclists page for more details) which means they should be on the other side of the road and would have to wait until there are no oncoming cars. Being in two files usually forces this scenario but riding in single file can lead the motorist to think they can overtake on the same side of the road if there are oncoming cars thus not giving the cyclist the correct amount of space.

It allows motorists to overtake quicker!?!
    Riding two abreast also allows the motorist to overtake the group of cyclists quicker as there is less distance between the front and rear of the group (about half!!). This means that the motorist is past the group in less time, spending less time on the other side of the road and along side the group of cyclists and therefore safer all round.

• Like Like x 13
  8. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

In a narrow road do cyclists have the right to ride two abreast thus preventing safe overtaking or should we all follow behind for miles at 15mph
    We both ride our bikes and rarely ride two abreast , that is utterly selfish and good reason for motorists to pay little respect to their attitude.

• Like Like x 5
  9. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

I stand by my first comment!

As a cyclist, if you don't command some road space, someone in a motorised vehicle WILL take it and have you off!

Those cyclists defended their road space and in doing so contributed to prolonging their lives.
    As for the disgrunted driver behind, they gained maybe a minute or two on their journey?

A cyclist doesn't know the proficiency of the driver behind. Most are in proficient verging on dangerous, so I protect my road space too when cycling.

I make no apologies for that!

• Like Like x 11
  10. fastpat

Please show where it says it is illegal to a ride abreast?

• Like Like x 1
  11. fastpat

Yes.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

At the start of the thread I stated conditions were very poor , it was a quite narrow road and moving to single file , sorry to inconvenience them, would have been far safer.
    I allowed a safe margin but it could have been much safer considering the conditions and yes I did allow the same margin in the size of road that I would for a horse and rider.

It is not up to a cyclist to judge when they will allow a driver to overtake especially when they are not aware of the size of the following vehicle.

• Like Like x 3
  13. fastpat

Yes it is. They are responsible for their own safety, they have probably been on the receiving end of drivers who have deemed it safe to overtake at times that it was not. It is called defensive riding and most experience cyclists (who are probably drivers as well) practice it.

Out of interest how many times when you are driving your RV do you pull over and let the traffic behind you past?

• Like Like x 6
  14. Zains Pops

Zains Pops Funster

Agreed,it drive me nuts when they use the local B road up a hill (one of the few in Essex) two abreast and preventing other road users from proceeding in a safe manner.

Don't even get me started on horse riders, usually women talking to each other as their nags plod along the highway. They seem to have no understanding of others around them.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Judge Mental

all the bloody time! "safe manner" give me a break. I live in london probably the most dangerous city in Europe for cyclists. Have at least 2 near misses a week "On sorry didn't see you" the normal retort or "f'ing cyclist". was hit in sainsburys car park the other week..

We are treated very badly in the UK, mearly looked upon as a hindrance. most car drivers opinion seems to think we have no right to be on the road.... The irony being cycling in london is twice as fast as a car...:rolleyes:

"The Dutch cycle because strict liability made everybody drive safely and play nice"

“The Netherlands and Denmark have a law of ‘strict liability’ to protect vulnerable road users from more powerful road users. Under this law, in crashes involving vulnerable road users, unless it can be clearly proven that the vulnerable road user was at fault, the more powerful road user is found liable by default. This makes Dutch and Danish drivers more cautious around cyclists and pedestrians and is responsible for their safe roads.”

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
    • Like Like x 8
  16. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

I quote part of JeanLucs post , an extraction from the Highway Code
    " and ride in single file in narrow or busy roads"
    I think that answers a few questions.
    Out of interest , I frequently pull in when driving RV and in my car when I am holding up others, it's called courtesy and perhaps the cyclists mentioned above could have exercised just a little of that.

• Like Like x 8
  17. RowleyBirkinQC

RowleyBirkinQC Funster

I have cycled since childhood, I believe cyclists have a right to use the road and that all road users need to be considerate to other road users regardless of vehicle type, motorised or non-motorised. My personal opinion is that cyclists riding 2 or more abreast is failing to show other road users the consideration they themselves believe should be afforded whilst cycling. I believe it is selfish, as is cyclists jumping red lights, and I don't buy the self preservation argument. If riding abreast frustrates a line of traffic, just because it is your right to obstruct their making progress, that traffic is more likely to overtake in a less safe place/manner. Like I said, just my opinion as a cyclist.

• Like Like x 7
  18. bernardfeay

bernardfeay Read Only Funster

I find tolerance to be the best solution. If the cyclist should have moved over - never mind; if the MH should have waited - never mind. Somebody is probably right and somebody is probably wrong.

Play nice kiddies!

• Like Like x 7
  19. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

I finally overtook when it was safe to do so, but it could have been much safer, if the inner cyclist had had a problem being near the verge there would be far less margin for error by being two abreast.
    In those circumstances as a cyclist myself I would have been riding single file .

• Like Like x 2
  20. Judge Mental

there's bob hope and no hope...some seem incapable of understanding how vulnerable cyclists feel and ride defensively with good reason.

• Like Like x 2