Storing A Camper In Portugal (1 Viewer)

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
We're hardly using the camper here, but still want to do our annual Europe trip, including the UK.

We can get cheap flights to Porto for us and the dog, so seems a good idea to leave the van in Portugal. Will save about €1,000 ferry trip.

Firstly are there any sort of places to leave it safely?

Secondly and problems such as insurance etc?

Thanks in advance :)

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Can see lots of problems re insurance unless you use a full time policy. Not sure if full time gives cover for 12 maths in Europe Most general policies only give up to 9 moths use abroad so if the van is in Europe all year you may come a cropper. I had a claim whilst abroad and I was asked for proof of travel to Europe i.e. Copy of tunnel email. Clearly they were looking as to the time away on that trip

OP
OP
Yorick
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Can see lots of problems re insurance unless you use a full time policy. Not sure if full time gives cover for 12 maths in Europe Most general policies only give up to 9 moths use abroad so if the van is in Europe all year you may come a cropper. I had a claim whilst abroad and I was asked for proof of travel to Europe i.e. Copy of tunnel email. Clearly they were looking as to the time away on that trip
Thanks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You'll find that your insurer is unlikely to give you cover for leaving the MH unattended for a long time in another country ... whether you could convince them that your 'storage' location is the best you could find so that's why you've left it there is questionable.:D

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
If it is English registered, than it can only stay for 6 months at a time in each country. You would have to matriculate it into Portugal (fantastically expensive) and get it insured there too.

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Got to fly a little 4-legged friend as well :(
Ah sorry ...don't think he would be impressed if you left him home alone would he??

image.jpeg

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
There is secure storage in Vila Do Bispo in the industrial area. It's in a side area next to a house where the owners operate a B and B. They charge 1 euro a day. Let me know if you'd like their details.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
M.O.T could be a problem.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
All sorts of problems. I am going to stick my head out and say, " Forget it, it' can't be done, sorry." :frowny:

OP
OP
Yorick
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
There is secure storage in Vila Do Bispo in the industrial area. It's in a side area next to a house where the owners operate a B and B. They charge 1 euro a day. Let me know if you'd like their details.
Yes please, that sounds fantastic :)

OP
OP
Yorick
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
If it is English registered, than it can only stay for 6 months at a time in each country. You would have to matriculate it into Portugal (fantastically expensive) and get it insured there too.
I thought the 6 month rule only applied to Spain ?

If not , I could fly over every few months and drive it into Spain and prove I was there.

OP
OP
Yorick
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
All sorts of problems. I am going to stick my head out and say, " Forget it, it' can't be done, sorry." :frowny:
This is important to us. Could you please elaborate ?

If we can't do this, we'll have to sell it.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Your first call should be to your insurer as that will determine what you can and cannot do and still HAVE insurance ... if you chose not to meet their requirements and something happens to your MH you risk not having any payout ... in which case you'll have to decide if it is really worth it.

As for the residency issue, this has been discussed on other threads recently but I think the gist is that if you are out of the UK with your vehicle for 6 months and it stays in the same country for those 6 months it should be registered there, there was mention of 3 months but I can't remember off the top of my head if that had implications for the MH or the owner.

OP
OP
Yorick
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Your first call should be to your insurer as that will determine what you can and cannot do and still HAVE insurance ... if you chose not to meet their requirements and something happens to your MH you risk not having any payout ... in which case you'll have to decide if it is really worth it.

As for the residency issue, this has been discussed on other threads recently but I think the gist is that if you are out of the UK with your vehicle for 6 months and it stays in the same country for those 6 months it should be registered there, there was mention of 3 months but I can't remember off the top of my head if that had implications for the MH or the owner.
I can sort out insurance, and can fly over and drive it into Spain. Similarly, if I could find a place in Spain, near to Portugal, I could do the reverse.

Any places to park it in Spain ?

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I thought the 6 month rule only applied to Spain ?

If not , I could fly over every few months and drive it into Spain and prove I was there.
No, applies to any country in the EU, you can take your car to any member state, but it must leave after 6 months. Same applies here to a foreign registered vehicle, it must leave after 6 months. Not sure how Brexit will affect this, one of the many things which will need to be clarified.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
This is important to us. Could you please elaborate ?

Ok Even though my knowledge is scant, this much I know...............:

You will need secure storage acceptable to the insurance company.

You will have great difficulty in obtaining insurance for a vehicle left unattended, abroad, for extended periods of time.

Assuming you could get insurance I would think the cost would be high.

Any vehicle permanently in another country for greater than six months must be registered in that country. Time consuming and difficult.

And as I see it the killer is the MOT. The vehicle must be returned to the UK once a year for its test, which immediately defeats what you are trying to do.

You mention being able to save £1000 per annum by doing this. I suspect that assuming you could get insurance that such an amount would be sucked away by the large premium.

So the problems are too huge to even contemplate attempting it. However I guess you could duck under the radar, if you could find a nice spot on private land where the owner would let you have a permanent pitch, you could SORN it here and then just leave it on site risk no insurance and let it mechanically rot.

I am sorry to be a doom maker but do wish you well in your endeavours.

Last edited:

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
If you can resolve all the insurance and MOT issues and you still want to store in Portugal:
Camperserv at Loule near Faro airport do storage which I havenused before when needing to return urgently to the UK in the midst of a long Winter trip.
The owner Tommy is an ex Navy Brit who runs a highly recommended Mortorhome repair shop (he has done a couple of repairs for me) which has a secure locked compound. I cant remember how much he charges but it isnt a lot and it is only 10 mins to Faro airport. If he isnt busy he will give you a lift. If he is busy the taxi is only 15 euros.
http://www.camperserv.com

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
It doesn't matter how long the vehicle has been in the country, if the person has been in the country without leaving for 90 days , they automatically become a resident , even if they do not apply.
That then makes driving of a foreign registered vehicle illegal. If you leave after 89 days then the clock is reset but after 6 months the vehicle still cannot be used but doesn't not actually have to be removed from the country but can be 'precintado' , (sealed )by the Guardia.
Trying to get them to do it these days is nigh on impossible.
If you can overcome the resident bit then a few spanish insurance companies offer legally valid UK motor insurance that is notified to the dvla & the MIdatabase. Liberty seguros is one. Price will probably make you wince.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Have to be quick,iffy connection,lightning strike. It cost between 600/800 euros to get ours imported,it has to be done within 6 months of it coming on the radar,will find out more if needed..... The main problem will be,you can only import one car/vehicle each,so thats me out of it. Any one else you know?. You could buy an old wreck of a property or "25.000/45000" and get a residents permit....... You being......LOADS A MONEY!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Tea Bag

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
The rules are in themselves are simple. A vehicle staying in Portugal or any other EU country for over 183 days in any calendar year must be registered in that country. The Portuguese often do not try to enforce this but if they do it can be very expensive making you ferry trip sound cheap. Certainly in the Algarve storage facilities are easy areas to check. Insurance may not be too much of a problem as there are several expat insurers who will insure UK registered vehicles in Portugal and Spain at reasonable prices. Portuguese MOT stations will carry out a test to UK standards but it is not valid in the UK but is acceptable for a Portuguese document check. To be legal on Portuguse roads the vehicle does actually have to be legal for UK roads though with the demise of the tax disc this is not easy for the police in Portugal to check. Most people I know with UK vehicles in Portugal do take them back to the UK for MOTs but local insurance. As I said enforcement of the 183 days is sporadic unless you are stupid.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
The cost of importing "Diamond geezer", 600/800 euros.included a pair of LHD set up Headlamp units,tried to get RHD (2014) ones to pass the test,but could not get enough movement to pass the beam test.
Tea Bag

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
I t
Hi.
The cost of importing "Diamond geezer", 600/800 euros.included a pair of LHD set up Headlamp units,tried to get RHD (2014) ones to pass the test,but could not get enough movement to pass the beam test.
Tea Bag
I take it that was not Portugal where the last estimate I heard for a car was over 3000 euros for the paperwork plus any mods. However if you take out residency then one vehicle per person can be matriculated free.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I t

I take it that was not Portugal where the last estimate I heard for a car was over 3000 euros for the paperwork plus any mods. However if you take out residency then one vehicle per person can be matriculated free.
@Tea Bag lives in Portugal ,so it would be a yes.
You only get the free matriculation in any EU state if you comply with the requirements. Most can only be done as long as you haven't already registered as a resident , before importing it & have not been on the electoral roll over 30 days.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
As far as I can establish only a "person" can be Matriculated or undergo "Matriculation"
By joining or enrolling in a Collage or University:Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back