DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Leave the MH in the UK and have a little car to drive back? If it is only once a year it wouldn't be too much pain. The car could possibly be portuguese if you can sort out any insurance and licence implications for owning a portuguese car but not living there. Alternatively, park it (the car) in Spain at say Vigo and use bus/taxi to reach it from Porto.
However, finance-wise it might make more sense to forget the car and travel to Santander overland using trains perhaps and get the ferry to Plymouth or Portsmouth and then perhaps pick up a hire car although the dog might be a problem. The ferry isn't too expensive as a foot passenger and it takes dogs.

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
You haven't dealt with
As far as I can establish only a "person" can be Matriculated or undergo "Matriculation"
By joining or enrolling in a Collage or University:Eeek:

You haven't dealt with the Portuguese system then. All vehicles on the road including trailers and caravans have to be matriculated, their term for registration, then you get their version of the V5 and can buy numberplates. If you are towing only the trailer plate is required on thr trailer, but in Spain both the trailer and the tow vehicle plates are displayed

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
@Tea Bag lives in Portugal ,so it would be a yes.
You only get the free matriculation in any EU state if you comply with the requirements. Most can only be done as long as you haven't already registered as a resident , before importing it & have not been on the electoral roll over 30 days.

Must have been a while ago then as when we had a Bongo in Portugal it cost near 1000 Euros, perhaps a bit more because there was more paperwork for a grey import. Friends have told me now it is in the 3000 euro region to matriculate another EU registered vehicle. One of the reasons cars are so expensive here and people have actually been buying secondhand cars in Spain and France then importing them into Portugal for resale at a profit even after paying matriculation fees, though I understand that loophole has been closed now. Considering the speed of bureaucracy in Portugal the window for free matriculation on taking up residence is quite small and people have missed it without processional help

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
I t

I take it that was not Portugal where the last estimate I heard for a car was over 3000 euros for the paperwork plus any mods. However if you take out residency then one vehicle per person can be matriculated free.

Hi.
Free ? 600 euros,lets see. Well,i had to go to the English Consulate/Embassy in Lisbon to get a bit of paper issued "X" Euros.You have to prove you have owned the vehicle for one year. Various bits of paper from about 3 offices,Pay for the MOT/Matriculation test (+ Cost of the Headlamp assemblies.They about shook the front wheels off during the testing) that cost "X" euros, and road tax. So yes,Free as against 3000 Euro, you have a 6months,(from when you bring it in )window to import it as a resident, we are, ,after that window it can be as you say around 3000 euros,this is against EU rules,but' this is Portugal.I am led to believe that should i sell it here within 5 years of the import,i will have to pay the 3000euros? whatever.
There was a chap advertising to do all the leg/legal work for you for 6-800 euros,but of course,this will not include finding,supplying and fitting LHD headlamps,if your unit does not have the switch that will do an automatic change over,as some do.
Advice? These were my own personal experiences and costs,could it have been done cheaper? Come on,its ME you are talking to:ROFLMAO: a "Blue 'un" would not have fixed it
If you are relocating to Portugal,there is this importation of vehicles to overcome,so do your homework and costings.An example,when we moved over here,i was advised to sell the 4by and buy a car over here,because you can only import one unit per person,(first wife does not drive ) Having the use of a spare car from family over here,going by a parking lot and saw a tidy looking Frontera,being as one i had used had been seen for sale 8-10 years ago for £1.200.i thought i would go in and give this one a once over,it would only be used as a part time tractor and it was 20 years old..it was on sale for......7.400 euros,today,some 20 year old fronteras (Bangers!) are for sale from 3000-6.500 euros. Check out whats for sale on Stand Virtual car sales,then do some home work .
Tea Bag.
PS. Just seen your post. It was one year and three months ago,i have just paid 54euros to tax it again and was let off of a fine,it should have been paid in January ,as the process was started Jan 2016,but i did not get the log book/card? back until march 2016,being as the first time i had the paperwork to tax it was march and that was the date on the tax receipt,in i go last week to tax it again and it was pointed out to me a document was stamped "Jan 2016"... THIS is the other side of Portugal,they are allowed to use their discretion,so no fine,just a good natured wag of the finger and a smile,Don't you just love it when a plan comes together(y)(y)

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
My camper us a PVC so no chance of matriculation anywhere :(
Hi.
So is ours,we were told it took so long,being as it was the "First one?" That gave me a laugh,however,it would appear it was the First PVC they had done,so,go to.NOT IN THIS ORDER Use a pin.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Viseu/Tondela/Lisbon/Santa Comba dao and you could be the....Second(y)
You could not make it up,but "All three posts are as near as my memory puts up" It is a Renault Master PVC Conversion,by Wildax and is called the Europa 2014. Thats enough from me on this subject,i have just opened a carton of Conde Noble vinho tinto,don't call me,i will call..........you...........When the fog has cleared on the landing sometime tomorrow.
Tea Bag
PS. YES,i do have all the paperwork,it is all legal,and to see the documentation will cost you......GALLONS of Port and Conde Noble. G'Night

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
PPS.
Lucky you Yorick,the cap was stiff on the carton and i remembered. Somewhere down the paper trail i had to produce a Sistiffikate ? of Conformity ? to enable the process to proceed. Where and to whom? ..... Ask me one on Sport:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Jobs a good 'un!
Tea Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag.." This chairs wobbly........" Slurp(y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Does anyone know what @teabag said in his last 2 posts ... I'm totally confused as I don't speak 'sozzled'! :D

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
He's not sozzled, he's just picked up a Lisbon accent

ColinandDawn

Free Member
Feb 20, 2012
England
Funster No
MH
Home Brew
Exp
Yes
Hello @Yorick

If it were me I would park it up in the UK - you have to return here to MOT it anyway...

Saves a small fortune and keeps insurance company happy too

Regards,

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I suppose the most obvious question which the OP probably doesn't really want to be asked is ... is there any point in keeping it if it's gonna be more trouble, and cost, than it's worth?

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
Hi.
Free ? 600 euros,lets see. Well,i had to go to the English Consulate/Embassy in Lisbon to get a bit of paper issued "X" Euros.You have to prove you have owned the vehicle for one year. Various bits of paper from about 3 offices,Pay for the MOT/Matriculation test (+ Cost of the Headlamp assemblies.They about shook the front wheels off during the testing) that cost "X" euros, and road tax. So yes,Free as against 3000 Euro, you have a 6months,(from when you bring it in )window to import it as a resident, we are, ,after that window it can be as you say around 3000 euros,this is against EU rules,but' this is Portugal.I am led to believe that should i sell it here within 5 years of the import,i will have to pay the 3000euros? whatever.
There was a chap advertising to do all the leg/legal work for you for 6-800 euros,but of course,this will not include finding,supplying and fitting LHD headlamps,if your unit does not have the switch that will do an automatic change over,as some do.
Advice? These were my own personal experiences and costs,could it have been done cheaper? Come on,its ME you are talking to:ROFLMAO: a "Blue 'un" would not have fixed it
If you are relocating to Portugal,there is this importation of vehicles to overcome,so do your homework and costings.An example,when we moved over here,i was advised to sell the 4by and buy a car over here,because you can only import one unit per person,(first wife does not drive ) Having the use of a spare car from family over here,going by a parking lot and saw a tidy looking Frontera,being as one i had used had been seen for sale 8-10 years ago for £1.200.i thought i would go in and give this one a once over,it would only be used as a part time tractor and it was 20 years old..it was on sale for......7.400 euros,today,some 20 year old fronteras (Bangers!) are for sale from 3000-6.500 euros. Check out whats for sale on Stand Virtual car sales,then do some home work .
Tea Bag.
PS. Just seen your post. It was one year and three months ago,i have just paid 54euros to tax it again and was let off of a fine,it should have been paid in January ,as the process was started Jan 2016,but i did not get the log book/card? back until march 2016,being as the first time i had the paperwork to tax it was march and that was the date on the tax receipt,in i go last week to tax it again and it was pointed out to me a document was stamped "Jan 2016"... THIS is the other side of Portugal,they are allowed to use their discretion,so no fine,just a good natured wag of the finger and a smile,Don't you just love it when a plan comes together(y)(y)

That makes it all clear yours was a residency matriculation, and yes I understand all the costs of making the vehicle comply are extra over the cost of documentation. Wait till you change your address, 60 euros a pop. Sell a vehicle, 60 euros to change the owner, and so it goes on. We had great fun fitting LHD lights on the Bongo and ended up with some surgery and a set of Astra units. Dealing directly with officials is not that bad, and they often use discretion on minor fines, we nearly picked up fines for dog licences because we did not de register them when returning to the UK for 12 months and then tried to register them in a new Fregesia.

OP
OP
Yorick
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Hello @Yorick

If it were me I would park it up in the UK - you have to return here to MOT it anyway...

Saves a small fortune and keeps insurance company happy too

Regards,

only problem is the dog. Too expensive to fly him to UK. And potential problems of an unused camper freezing

OP
OP
Yorick
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Thanks for all the replies. Lots of good info and lots to think about.

OP
OP
Yorick
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I suppose the most obvious question which the OP probably doesn't really want to be asked is ... is there any point in keeping it if it's gonna be more trouble, and cost, than it's worth?
Yes. We want to do a month trip every year and hiring is too expensive. The van cost me £12,000 to build 6 years ago, so costs me nothing now to keep.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
Yes. We want to do a month trip every year and hiring is too expensive. The van cost me £12,000 to build 6 years ago, so costs me nothing now to keep.
Hi.
If,big if. The headlamps may be compliant,so "Thinks!!"after drinking Conde.... I think the Brit/cons/embassy bill was 125 ? Euros,the Matric/MOT was 75? Euros. the rest for my bill of 600'ish euros was the finding and fitting LHD headlamps,plus time wasted, arriving at Viseu offices and finding the computors had crashed (Common here i was told) so had to return,three seperate offices to go to.
So,200'ish euros. Now for some advice,this maybe "Poo poo'd".But TRUE! Apart from the Brit/con/Emb. it would be advisable to have a Portuguese speaking person with you,i know we should learn the language,but,technical details are not in the basic learn porty speak books.Should you come across an office worker who cannot speak english(And its not portuguese law they have to),you may have to rely on another office worker to overhear your plight and come to the rescue,this cannot be gauranteed .
Next,find out the requirements to becoming a resident,re-address needed?,do your homework and send us a PM. We are an hour and a half from Porto,JJ is nearer,and any storage would probably be outside,unless we knock up a temporary shelter..... Strong winds come up the valley from the R Criz in the winter,but a....... Blunt Frost:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:? Is all we suffer. Dogs? Yes,served with potatoe wedges(y)(y)
Tea Bag

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
This is important to us. Could you please elaborate ?

If we can't do this, we'll have to sell it.
Perhaps selling could be a good option. The cost of a months motorhome hire could compare well with owning and not using

Jul 20, 2022
Funster No
MH
just looking b514
Perhaps selling could be a good option. The cost of a months motorhome hire could compare well with owning and not using
Only bought van last year ,and not used yet,but will use a lot in summer here in Ireland,and then all going well 2 months in Portugal,

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Only bought van last year ,and not used yet,but will use a lot in summer here in Ireland,and then all going well 2 months in Portugal,
2 months in Portugal will be no problem. The problems for us Brits arise after 90 days.

My guess is that if your motorhome is Irish registered and you are Irish citizens you will not have much trouble even then. After all lots of German, Dutch and French motorhomers spend well over 90 days in Spain and Portugal every winter without any hassle.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back