Squeaky dash

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by treeman, May 30, 2013.

1. treeman

treeman Read Only Funster

Doing a few miles now in my old 1986 Renault Master conversion and the 26 year old plastic around the dash starts to rub or vibrates at certain speeds and the squeaks and rattles are beginning to bug me. I've taken the whole dash off and reinstalled it but just squeaks at different speeds now so I'm thinking the only option must be to run something between all the butted-up plastic bits to quieten things down. I'm guessing though that basic electrical tape might be too thin but that door-frame insulating tape type stuff might be too thick?
    Anyone got any suggestions (apart from buying a newer MH!) to use as a gap filler? Or maybe another way to stop the rattles?

2. Mel

Mel Funster

Silicone spray*?

Not too mutch .

3. treeman

Ah yes, an option. Wonder how long it will last though?

4. Mel

Mel Funster

Well i dont like the stuff normaly
    But the dealer used it on my habitation door ruber and it cured the problem.
    I never put anymore on and had it for a year after he did that.

Mel

5. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

beer mats and folded fag packets between the panels. :Laughing:

• Like Like x 1
  6. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Squeaks......aarghh! Not a mile goes by but we hear a squeak, usually down to me not packing certain items properly prior to departure:RollEyes:

We have a challenge before we set off "not" to have anything squeaking, we have reduced these down now, but sometimes I am guilty of not checking the pots/lids before we set off:Blush:

But in answer to your original question, have you tried some talc around the offending parts:RollEyes: Not being funny, but we had a squeaky seat, everytime Margaret sat on it, it would squeak.........:Doh: We solved this by using some talc between the edges of the wooden frame of the seat.....sorted:thumb:

7. rangitira

rangitira Funster

On our G Reg Pilote A class We had several "squeaks" on the Dash/ Body Union, we solved them by using Squares of Polystirene twixts the two

But! You know! those lovely old Vans deserve a bit of lee way, Built like a tank, solid wood, nothing produced nowadays comes anywhere near them:thumb:

Enjoy them:thumb: We're sorry we got rid of ours (occasionally!)

8. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

That's the great thing about this forum. You can always rely on receiving sound, professional advice :Laughing:

• Like Like x 1
  9. treeman

I think this may be half my problem - over the years various things have been wedged between panels to stop certain squeaks, including beer mats, so I think I may have miss-shaped the panels over time. Thinking hopefully of a long term solution that might negate the folded-cardboard requirements.
    Having said that it's about the only time I can get the Mrs's has to drive is when I'm "listening to try and track down the source of the squeak/rattle/vibration"!

10. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

On our way back from shopping yesterday hubby was driving but pressing up around the padded areas above him, "there's a squeak, but not sure where it's coming from", he said. I looked up at noticed that he had already wedged a piece of cork tile into the space between a metal frame and the back of one of the passenger seats behind him:Doh::BigGrin: