Spanish Police

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by Drew, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Drew

Drew Funster

Don't know if this has been mentioned before but.....

A friend of mine has just been to Spain and hired a car. They were stopped by the Spanish Police and fined for not wearing seatbelts, they protested that they were wearing seat belts, which they were, and the officers said "you have just put them on" and forced them to pay the fine on threat of having their hire car impounded and being left stranded at the roadside.

Now as it happens they were in Spain visiting friends who, when told of this, said it was a common occurrence now and that they had also been stopped on several occasions for Speeding, no seatbelts and other minor offences. There is a feeling that with the Spanish economy as it is the Police are boosting their salaries by picking of tourists who can't fight back.

Any one else heard of this scam?

Drew

2. vwalan

vwalan Funster

any roadside fine.penalty you get will have a receipt or should have .they can take payment in cash or card they carry card machines .if you dont pay they have a very long drawn out paperwork exercise .if you pay on the spot you usually get a 50%reduction of the penalty . best let them do all the forms then find the money if you are guilty .if not dont pay . they forget to tell you about the reduction .it is on the penalty notice but of course its in spanish . best be a right pest and hassle them as much as you can . they love english as most pay. and dont ask for a receipt . but do dont let them get away with it. talke their names and numbers ,reg of vehicle and the number up on the roof .if you are innocent contact their head quarters and notify the british embassey .its ther only way to stop it . it can be good fun.

• Like Like x 6
  3. mondo

mondo Read Only Funster

The latest one over here in Tenerife is The Driving in Flip Flops NO-NO of which they will fine you 60 euros..the other is and this is a particular Tenerife disease The arm out of the window one....as they say you are not in full control of the vehicle which also carries a 60 euro penalty...mind you the arms out of the window puzzles me as some of the roads over here are a tad narrow so if your arm is a long way out you could Hi Five each other..The only reason these "FINES" have surfaced is because a lot of the Guardia Civil cars/4x4s did not have any current ITVs (their version of the MOT) and someone put a denuncia on the police..so all their vehicles were off the road for around a week!!!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  4. vwalan

vwalan Funster

i would have thought like our police vehicles they would be exempt .seems strange if they do need itv ing .

• Like Like x 1
  5. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

they wont fine me for no spare glasses, wearing flipflops, speeding, no seltbelts, drivers arm, A frames or anything else......

I simply wont go back to Spain, unless its on an aeroplane........end of.

• Like Like x 1
  6. vwalan

vwalan Funster

oh well i take it you arent off to the sun this winter then pappa . hee hee.

7. pappajohn

Spain doesnt have a monopoly on sun Alan....:Wink:

8. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Have said it before and I will say it again........The whole country is bent from the top down.

• Like Like x 1
  9. vwalan

vwalan Funster

spain may not have the monopoly on sun .but its the best place to be in europe in winter.bar nowhere. you could fly but then why have a camper?

10. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

All the Met Cycles have been requisitioned and apparently most dont now meet the stringent police regulations and have been "impounded".

As they dont have the money to bring them up to standard I just wonder when they will start following suit hehehehehe

11. vwalan

vwalan Funster

cant answer that one all i know is thousands of vehicles are on uk roads using exemptions every day. 36 classes in hgv and about 15 in light mot. its all a joke really.

12. pappajohn

Unfortunately i can't do 'hot' any more Alan.

last visit to Spain the temp was around 35deg and it nearly finished me off.

I can do reasonably cold, but hot just wipes me out.

must be an age thing, as quite happy in 40deg (in the shade) in South Africa 20 years ago. :Cool:

13. vwalan

vwalan Funster

but spain in winter isnt actually that hot just warm n dry .for hot you cross ther water to maroc . does your bones good to be warm . but i think its the dryness that does the most.

• Like Like x 2
  14. John & Joan

John & Joan Funster

We found Spain in winter to be like a pleasant english summer. We go October to May as we don't like the heat either.

John

15. chesterfield hooligan

chesterfield hooligan Funster

:Rofl1: just wait untill they put in the oven :Rofl1:

:Rofl1: now that will finnish you off :Rofl1:

16. chesterfield hooligan

:Rofl1: just wait untill they put in the oven :Rofl1:

:Rofl1: now that will finnish you off :Rofl1:

17. chesterfield hooligan

:Rofl1: woop's double vision :Rofl1:

18. JJ

JJ Funster

I so very, very, very strongly disagree with this statement young Alan...

JJ :Cool:

19. vwalan

vwalan Funster

you may disaghree but the weather ststistics will show other wise.
    i imagine yoiu will say portugal. but i wouldnt agree with that. far too much rain in portugal. mind i,m not exactly a lover of spain . i do prefer the area of portugal from peniche to porto or cantarbria and asturia in spain but in winter they dont quite come up tops .
    not keen on the algarve .over crowded and not exactly very clean or pleasant. and full of ex uk trying to rip you off with campsites and shops tc .

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  20. MrJinks

MrJinks Read Only Funster

To return to the original post, in conversation with my Spanish friend in Alicante who states that if you know that the police are trying it on just refuse to sign the form that they fill in at the roadside. This form states your offence and all the details and by signing it you are admitting guilt. If no signature it will then have to be dealt with by the courts and the officers will not get a penny of the "fine" so will invariably lose interest.

Obviously if you were guilty it is up to you whether to fight it as you do not know what evidence they may have.

My friend has twice been stopped and accused of being on phone. Both times she knew she was innocent and just refused to sign. She was then waved away.

As always, it is easier when you can understand what is being said and are somone who is not easily intimidated.

• Like Like x 1