Spanish Police (1 Viewer)

Mar 29, 2010
Hebden Bridge
Funster No
MH
Moto Trek Xcite EB
Exp
Since Sept 2011
Don't know if this has been mentioned before but.....

A friend of mine has just been to Spain and hired a car. They were stopped by the Spanish Police and fined for not wearing seatbelts, they protested that they were wearing seat belts, which they were, and the officers said "you have just put them on" and forced them to pay the fine on threat of having their hire car impounded and being left stranded at the roadside.

Now as it happens they were in Spain visiting friends who, when told of this, said it was a common occurrence now and that they had also been stopped on several occasions for Speeding, no seatbelts and other minor offences. There is a feeling that with the Spanish economy as it is the Police are boosting their salaries by picking of tourists who can't fight back.

Any one else heard of this scam?

Drew

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
any roadside fine.penalty you get will have a receipt or should have .they can take payment in cash or card they carry card machines .if you dont pay they have a very long drawn out paperwork exercise .if you pay on the spot you usually get a 50%reduction of the penalty . best let them do all the forms then find the money if you are guilty .if not dont pay . they forget to tell you about the reduction .it is on the penalty notice but of course its in spanish . best be a right pest and hassle them as much as you can . they love english as most pay. and dont ask for a receipt . but do dont let them get away with it. talke their names and numbers ,reg of vehicle and the number up on the roof .if you are innocent contact their head quarters and notify the british embassey .its ther only way to stop it . it can be good fun.

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
The latest one over here in Tenerife is The Driving in Flip Flops NO-NO of which they will fine you 60 euros..the other is and this is a particular Tenerife disease The arm out of the window one....as they say you are not in full control of the vehicle which also carries a 60 euro penalty...mind you the arms out of the window puzzles me as some of the roads over here are a tad narrow so if your arm is a long way out you could Hi Five each other..The only reason these "FINES" have surfaced is because a lot of the Guardia Civil cars/4x4s did not have any current ITVs (their version of the MOT) and someone put a denuncia on the police..so all their vehicles were off the road for around a week!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i would have thought like our police vehicles they would be exempt .seems strange if they do need itv ing .

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
they wont fine me for no spare glasses, wearing flipflops, speeding, no seltbelts, drivers arm, A frames or anything else......

I simply wont go back to Spain, unless its on an aeroplane........end of.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
oh well i take it you arent off to the sun this winter then pappa . hee hee.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Have said it before and I will say it again........The whole country is bent from the top down.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
spain may not have the monopoly on sun .but its the best place to be in europe in winter.bar nowhere. you could fly but then why have a camper?

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
i would have thought like our police vehicles they would be exempt .seems strange if they do need itv ing .

All the Met Cycles have been requisitioned and apparently most dont now meet the stringent police regulations and have been "impounded".

As they dont have the money to bring them up to standard I just wonder when they will start following suit hehehehehe

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
cant answer that one all i know is thousands of vehicles are on uk roads using exemptions every day. 36 classes in hgv and about 15 in light mot. its all a joke really.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Unfortunately i can't do 'hot' any more Alan.

last visit to Spain the temp was around 35deg and it nearly finished me off.

I can do reasonably cold, but hot just wipes me out.

must be an age thing, as quite happy in 40deg (in the shade) in South Africa 20 years ago. :Cool:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
but spain in winter isnt actually that hot just warm n dry .for hot you cross ther water to maroc . does your bones good to be warm . but i think its the dryness that does the most.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
but spain in winter isnt actually that hot just warm n dry .for hot you cross ther water to maroc . does your bones good to be warm . but i think its the dryness that does the most.

We found Spain in winter to be like a pleasant english summer. We go October to May as we don't like the heat either.

John

chesterfield hooligan

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Hucknall, Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years

must be an age thing, as quite happy in 40deg (in the shade) in South Africa 20 years ago. :Cool:

:ROFLMAO: just wait untill they put in the oven :ROFLMAO:

:ROFLMAO: now that will finnish you off :ROFLMAO:

chesterfield hooligan

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Hucknall, Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years

:ROFLMAO: just wait untill they put in the oven :ROFLMAO:

:ROFLMAO: now that will finnish you off :ROFLMAO:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
spain may not have the monopoly on sun [HI].but its the best place to be in europe in winter.bar nowhere. [/HI]you could fly but then why have a camper?

I so very, very, very strongly disagree with this statement young Alan...

JJ :Cool:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
you may disaghree but the weather ststistics will show other wise.
i imagine yoiu will say portugal. but i wouldnt agree with that. far too much rain in portugal. mind i,m not exactly a lover of spain . i do prefer the area of portugal from peniche to porto or cantarbria and asturia in spain but in winter they dont quite come up tops .
not keen on the algarve .over crowded and not exactly very clean or pleasant. and full of ex uk trying to rip you off with campsites and shops tc .

Last edited:

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
To return to the original post, in conversation with my Spanish friend in Alicante who states that if you know that the police are trying it on just refuse to sign the form that they fill in at the roadside. This form states your offence and all the details and by signing it you are admitting guilt. If no signature it will then have to be dealt with by the courts and the officers will not get a penny of the "fine" so will invariably lose interest.

Obviously if you were guilty it is up to you whether to fight it as you do not know what evidence they may have.

My friend has twice been stopped and accused of being on phone. Both times she knew she was innocent and just refused to sign. She was then waved away.

As always, it is easier when you can understand what is being said and are somone who is not easily intimidated.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Having driven across several of the worlds continents both to earn a living and for pleasure I learned many years ago that any country that has a system of on the spot fines which have to be paid there and then is open to abuse. Many call the UK system but at least its fair to all and any country that has a policy of paying the copper that stops you is in my opinion bent.
Am not saying all the worlds police are bent.........just most of them.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
the flip flops have been an issue for years

The flip flops have been an issue for years.

But I agree they are tending now to stop more English vehicles than before.. we watched it near Salou .. on a roundabout.. looking for registrations... anything other than Spanish.

Bob

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back