Sold the house help needed

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by paulharrison, Mar 4, 2010.

1. paulharrison

paulharrison Read Only Funster

Sold my house moving out soon, do l store the best bits of furniture or sell the lot and live in my RV, so confused, only me and my Winnebago keeps sayin Paul you don,t need a house any tips will help

2. quaid238

quaid238 Read Only Funster

Sell the lot and spend the storage money on fuel for the RV. Break all ties and live the life.:BigGrin:

3. paulharrison

Do you fulltime, its very tempting:thumb:

4. kennygd

kennygd Read Only Funster

:Smile:Iam so lucky, I managed to sell the house with everything in it apart from a few items which I will dispose of, just waiting for completion date which is any day now and then we are away living in the motorhome and looking forward to all the trials and tribulations :thumb:
    Kennygd

5. Sundowners

Sundowners Funster Life Member

We fulltime and sold everything that did not fit into our fifth wheel, all bar a couple of family heirlooms which are being kept by our daughter.

We know quite a few fulltimers and some of them are paying for storage and have been for a few years, it's not cheap. At the end of the day, they are only 'THINGS'.

We still own a house and know that if and when we move back in we can replace all the items and have enjoyment buying them.

We have no intention of moving back into the house unless we really have to, so keeping excess 'THINGS' was not an issue for us. It all depends on your intentions.

We have fulltimed before for six years back in the early eighties and only stopped to let the kids finish their education. We did the same then - got rid of everything and no regrets from the first time.

Nigel and Pamala

6. evans88

evans88 Read Only Funster

Just bear in mind that you have sold your house at the bottom of the market and if you need a house again it is likely to cost a lot more in years to come.

I've met numerous people in Spain who feel trapped there because they can't afford to come home. They end up living in their old RVs in shanty town on a run down campsite. Selling up completely is a graet idea when you are reasonably well and active but it might not be so great if you are in poor health and inactive.

I would think long and hard before deserting the property market altogether. Why not buy a cheap flat, rent it out and use the income if you want to live in your RV. I've let out many properties over a 10 year period and in all that time had only one bad tenant.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

Sell the lot. If you put it in storage there is no guarantee that the stuff wont get damaged. Our friends stuff got damaged in storage due to flooding and theres always the risk of woodworm travelling and not everyone is extremely particular xxxx

Good luck with whatever you decide

8. paulharrison

9. Bulletguy

Bulletguy Read Only Funster

Hate to dampen your spirits but when my neighbours sold up last year to move to Brittany they had to give their furniture away. If you consider trying to sell it off, just be prepared to watch your most expensive and prized possessions go for next to nothing!

10. paulharrison

You dont dampen my spirit l agree with you just wanted members views l would proberly take most of it to the tip or charity shops, when l moved from a big farm house a couple of years ago l took loads of RV bits to the stratford show and sold them under my awning, now if l carnt eat it wear it drink it or drive it l dont buy it,:Doh: Paul

11. ArenqueRojo

ArenqueRojo Read Only Funster

We sold up a couple of years ago and thankful that we did. The number of fulltimers who can't really enjoy the freedom because they have a house somewhere is depressing. Just said goodbye to a Danish couple here in Sicily going back because there is no-one else to mow the grass!
    When it comes down to getting rid of the not-so-valuables, we used our local freecycle. Worth every absent penny to see people really pleased to get what we didn't want. Remember well the guy who came for my draw of salvaged screws etc. He was only 22 and hadn't had the years to collect the 1.5cwt I had accumulated! His face was worth many £££s:BigGrin:
    Things are just a responsibility - who needs most of them?
    Patrick

12. paulharrison

Hi Patrick the idea of being asked to move my Rv so they can mow my pitch realy appeals to me instead of pushin the mower and no more council tax

13. simsy56

simsy56 Funster

l would get rid of the lot and live the dream, stuff bricks and mortar and lining other peoples pockets. Good luck.

14. iceni

iceni Read Only Funster

live the dream by all means but make a contingency plan of some sort just in case.

My uncle sold his house to live on a narrowboat. he was happy as a pig in ..... then his wife died so he was alone on the boat. Then he fell ill so that he couldnt use the boat. He had to move in with family but luckily they made use of the boat. Others may nor be so lucky.

Just consider this point before commiting fully. then once decided do it and dont look back:thumb:

15. paulharrison

I lost my wife in 2008 and decided not to do anythink for 12 months, and found l just rattle round a big house so thats why l sold, l know were your coming from and found the last 12 months a challege even going away in the RV but sadly life go,s on and now l am just begining to get on with things Paul

16. vava1

vava1 Read Only Funster

Sell it all!

The cost of storage will quickly outstrip the value of your stored items and you can buy new and better things when you need to

You'll also cut out the hassle of paying for and monitoring storage

17. paulharrison

Think your right just had a quote £900 to put it in storage and deliver to new address and £50 a week to store Paul

18. Bulletguy

Bulletguy Read Only Funster

This puts quite a different light on what to do about material things etc now.

You've lost what was most important to you in your life and you have undoubtedly done the best thing by selling your house....too many memories etc. Now you are embarking on an entirely new venture and the material things you shared together become immaterial. Memories are more important and you carry those around with you in your head.....for life. They are worthless to anyone else, but priceless to you.

I wish you well in your 'new life.'

19. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

I agree totally with this post, thats what we have done for the last 2 years deciding whether to stay fulltiming or go back to bricks and motar we have now decided to sell and probably lose a lot of our stuff's "worth" but as my daughter put it, you could buy new with what we have paid stotage over the last 2 years. we have even bought a bigger van now with more room to stretch out in !!! so for us we like it and we are old enough not to have to worry about work and live off pensions, fulltiming is not everyones cup of tea but it is ours:thumb:

20. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

dont rely on the charity shops to take it.....

they are very particular these days and if it aint in A1 first class condition they'll turn there nose up at it.:Angry:

if it was me, which it aint likely to be, i'd sell/dump the lot and start your new life from scratch.

if full timing doesnt work for you theres alway the option to rent property.
    ok, you'll never own it but then you have no building insurance, repair costs and maintainance costs.

we have a few friends who rent, not for financial reasons..its just their decision.