Sold the house help needed (1 Viewer)

Dec 4, 2007
worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago
Exp
20 years
Sold my house moving out soon, do l store the best bits of furniture or sell the lot and live in my RV, so confused, only me and my Winnebago keeps sayin Paul you don,t need a house any tips will help

quaid238

Free Member
Nov 13, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
7 Years Full Timing
Sell the lot and spend the storage money on fuel for the RV. Break all ties and live the life.::bigsmile:

kennygd

Free Member
Dec 1, 2009
Anywhere in the UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Starting out fulltiming
:Smile:Iam so lucky, I managed to sell the house with everything in it apart from a few items which I will dispose of, just waiting for completion date which is any day now and then we are away living in the motorhome and looking forward to all the trials and tribulations :thumb:
Kennygd

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
We fulltime and sold everything that did not fit into our fifth wheel, all bar a couple of family heirlooms which are being kept by our daughter.

We know quite a few fulltimers and some of them are paying for storage and have been for a few years, it's not cheap. At the end of the day, they are only 'THINGS'.

We still own a house and know that if and when we move back in we can replace all the items and have enjoyment buying them.

We have no intention of moving back into the house unless we really have to, so keeping excess 'THINGS' was not an issue for us. It all depends on your intentions.

We have fulltimed before for six years back in the early eighties and only stopped to let the kids finish their education. We did the same then - got rid of everything and no regrets from the first time.

Nigel and Pamala

evans88

Free Member
Jul 8, 2008
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Just bear in mind that you have sold your house at the bottom of the market and if you need a house again it is likely to cost a lot more in years to come.

I've met numerous people in Spain who feel trapped there because they can't afford to come home. They end up living in their old RVs in shanty town on a run down campsite. Selling up completely is a graet idea when you are reasonably well and active but it might not be so great if you are in poor health and inactive.

I would think long and hard before deserting the property market altogether. Why not buy a cheap flat, rent it out and use the income if you want to live in your RV. I've let out many properties over a 10 year period and in all that time had only one bad tenant.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Sell the lot. If you put it in storage there is no guarantee that the stuff wont get damaged. Our friends stuff got damaged in storage due to flooding and theres always the risk of woodworm travelling and not everyone is extremely particular xxxx

Good luck with whatever you decide

OP
OP
paulharrison
Dec 4, 2007
worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago
Exp
20 years
We fulltime and sold everything that did not fit into our fifth wheel, all bar a couple of family heirlooms which are being kept by our daughter.

Yes i,m going to put as much as l can in the RV fill the lockers will big plastic boxes with labels on and a good safe, l can use my daughters address for ins and tax and penions when i,m old, Paul

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Sold my house moving out soon, do l store the best bits of furniture or sell the lot and live in my RV.......
Hate to dampen your spirits but when my neighbours sold up last year to move to Brittany they had to give their furniture away. If you consider trying to sell it off, just be prepared to watch your most expensive and prized possessions go for next to nothing!

OP
OP
paulharrison
Dec 4, 2007
worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago
Exp
20 years
Hate to dampen your spirits but when my neighbours sold up last year to move to Brittany they had to give their furniture away. If you consider trying to sell it off, just be prepared to watch your most expensive and prized possessions go for next to nothing!

You dont dampen my spirit l agree with you just wanted members views l would proberly take most of it to the tip or charity shops, when l moved from a big farm house a couple of years ago l took loads of RV bits to the stratford show and sold them under my awning, now if l carnt eat it wear it drink it or drive it l dont buy it,:Doh: Paul

ArenqueRojo

Free Member
Nov 10, 2008
Anywhere in Europe, so fa
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
13 years
We sold up a couple of years ago and thankful that we did. The number of fulltimers who can't really enjoy the freedom because they have a house somewhere is depressing. Just said goodbye to a Danish couple here in Sicily going back because there is no-one else to mow the grass!
When it comes down to getting rid of the not-so-valuables, we used our local freecycle. Worth every absent penny to see people really pleased to get what we didn't want. Remember well the guy who came for my draw of salvaged screws etc. He was only 22 and hadn't had the years to collect the 1.5cwt I had accumulated! His face was worth many £££s::bigsmile:
Things are just a responsibility - who needs most of them?
Patrick

OP
OP
paulharrison
Dec 4, 2007
worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago
Exp
20 years
Hi Patrick the idea of being asked to move my Rv so they can mow my pitch realy appeals to me instead of pushin the mower and no more council tax

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
l would get rid of the lot and live the dream, stuff bricks and mortar and lining other peoples pockets. Good luck.

iceni

Free Member
Dec 3, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Lowline Coachbuilt
Exp
27yrs
live the dream by all means but make a contingency plan of some sort just in case.

My uncle sold his house to live on a narrowboat. he was happy as a pig in ..... then his wife died so he was alone on the boat. Then he fell ill so that he couldnt use the boat. He had to move in with family but luckily they made use of the boat. Others may nor be so lucky.

Just consider this point before commiting fully. then once decided do it and dont look back:thumb:

OP
OP
paulharrison
Dec 4, 2007
worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago
Exp
20 years
live the dream by all means but make a contingency plan of some sort just in case.

My uncle sold his house to live on a narrowboat. he was happy as a pig in ..... then his wife died so he was alone on the boat. Then he fell ill so that he couldnt use the boat. He had to move in with family but luckily they made use of the boat. Others may nor be so lucky.

Just consider this point before commiting fully. then once decided do it and dont look back:thumb:

I lost my wife in 2008 and decided not to do anythink for 12 months, and found l just rattle round a big house so thats why l sold, l know were your coming from and found the last 12 months a challege even going away in the RV but sadly life go,s on and now l am just begining to get on with things Paul

vava1

Free Member
Oct 5, 2007
England
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Sell it all!

The cost of storage will quickly outstrip the value of your stored items and you can buy new and better things when you need to

You'll also cut out the hassle of paying for and monitoring storage

OP
OP
paulharrison
Dec 4, 2007
worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago
Exp
20 years
Sell it all!

The cost of storage will quickly outstrip the value of your stored items and you can buy new and better things when you need to

Think your right just had a quote £900 to put it in storage and deliver to new address and £50 a week to store Paul

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
I lost my wife in 2008 and decided not to do anythink for 12 months, and found l just rattle round a big house so thats why l sold, l know were your coming from and found the last 12 months a challege even going away in the RV but sadly life go,s on and now l am just begining to get on with things Paul
This puts quite a different light on what to do about material things etc now.

You've lost what was most important to you in your life and you have undoubtedly done the best thing by selling your house....too many memories etc. Now you are embarking on an entirely new venture and the material things you shared together become immaterial. Memories are more important and you carry those around with you in your head.....for life. They are worthless to anyone else, but priceless to you.

I wish you well in your 'new life.'

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Sell it all!

I agree totally with this post, thats what we have done for the last 2 years deciding whether to stay fulltiming or go back to bricks and motar we have now decided to sell and probably lose a lot of our stuff's "worth" but as my daughter put it, you could buy new with what we have paid stotage over the last 2 years. we have even bought a bigger van now with more room to stretch out in !!! so for us we like it and we are old enough not to have to worry about work and live off pensions, fulltiming is not everyones cup of tea but it is ours:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You dont dampen my spirit l agree with you just wanted members views l would proberly take most of it to the tip or charity shops, when l moved from a big farm house a couple of years ago l took loads of RV bits to the stratford show and sold them under my awning, now if l carnt eat it wear it drink it or drive it l dont buy it,:Doh: Paul

dont rely on the charity shops to take it.....

they are very particular these days and if it aint in A1 first class condition they'll turn there nose up at it.:Angry:

if it was me, which it aint likely to be, i'd sell/dump the lot and start your new life from scratch.

if full timing doesnt work for you theres alway the option to rent property.
ok, you'll never own it but then you have no building insurance, repair costs and maintainance costs.

we have a few friends who rent, not for financial reasons..its just their decision.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
If you don't need the money from the sale of your house to live on ....invest......it may help if you change your mind in a few years time :Doh:

Mel

I am one that believes like Jim what is a good idea today may be a bad idea next week.....( I have seen to many living no better Gypsies /Romanies because they have burnt there bridges)....me I would want one foot in each camp Our house and Our Motorhome...A home to come home when weather is bad and health and many other things and a motorhome to go out for 30 days at a time.......I wish you good luck, good health and a enjoyable life in your new adventure.
Mel

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
We ebayed, dumped, charity shopped everything except five boxes of photos, kids trophies,teddies, keepsafes etc that we have left at various family members for 10 years.

We have now bought a house( yes papajohn, there are other options than renting ) and furnished it through ebay, charity shops and of course Ikea.

The five boxes were fun to open and look through, the photos were a laugh, the five boxes have reduced to one, the rest binned or charity shopped and the remaining one has been bundled up again and put in the cellar.

Storage is just so expensive it was never an option.

Quote Heyupluv

.....( I have seen to many living no better Gypsies /Romanies because they have burnt there bridges)..........

You are clearly better than a Gypsey/ Romany then are you ? What makes you so ?

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
dont rely on the charity shops to take it.....
they are very particular these days and if it aint in A1 first class condition they'll turn there nose up at it.:Angry:
Except for Red Cross shops John. They will take anything, particularly clothing.

When my mum passed away five years ago my sister sorted out all her clothing, shoes etc, parting the good from the not so good. Expensive clothing with plenty of wear left she offered to any of mums friends who wanted. The rest was bagged up and left to me to dispose of via the Charity Shops. I first contacted the Salvation Army thinking they would be glad of any clothes. They refused me outright!

I then contacted the Red Cross who immediately said they would take whatever I had, irrespective of quality or condition. The lady there told me they don't lose out on anything as they sort out whats 'saleable' in the shops, and what isn't gets collected by a guy who pays for what they don't want or cannot sell by weight.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
We ebayed, dumped, charity shopped everything except five boxes of photos, kids trophies,teddies, keepsafes etc that we have left at various family members for 10 years.

We have now bought a house( yes papajohn, there are other options than renting ) and furnished it through ebay, charity shops and of course Ikea.

The five boxes were fun to open and look through, the photos were a laugh, the five boxes have reduced to one, the rest binned or charity shopped and the remaining one has been bundled up again and put in the cellar.

Storage is just so expensive it was never an option.

Quote Heyupluv

.....( I have seen to many living no better Gypsies /Romanies because they have burnt there bridges)..........

You are clearly better than a Gypsey/ Romany then are you ? What makes you so ?

To Answer your Question

No, I am no better than the next person "Never said I was".....I am allowed my opinion and that is all it was... what I have written in my reply, is what I have seen and what people have said to me 1st hand...you may have lead a different life to other people ?....

I am a big believer you have only one life and it is up to you how you live it, but some of the long termers I have spoken do not seem that happy..and given the chance would go back to the bricks and mortar...as Jim has said in his thread....
Going back to the quote I had written "Gypsy/ Romany " I think you had better look inside some of these Romanies Caravans before you jump to conclusions..they are very luxurious" before you take what I said in the wrong context.....I never said tinkers and scrap metal collectors...it is the life they lead outside .....

These are just a few things one person said living the dream .....we try to save water, we do not wash-up (the dishes ) very often we use the cups again and again, one person would have his / her cereals in the morning and wait then the other would follow and use the same bowl to save on washing up, we would not shower, we would stand in a bucket pour two or three cups of water over ones self and save and re-use the water, I understand the reason why....but is that the dream you set out for

Motorhomes tight up to the next persons motorhome,(risk of fire) large diesel genies running morning and the evening (no I am not anti genny) and ( I am not anti the outdoor life I love it).... some of the pitches when it rains you are just trudging around in mud (ok in the summer), carrying bottles of water 2 ltr to 5 ltr about 1/2 km so you don't loose your spot that's ok in the summer in the winter ?, one person said we would place buckets at the corners of the motorhome to catch rain to re-use, we would use candles to save on power / battery electricity (winter time shorter days), the motorhome is more prone to freeze ups in the winter (even though they may be winterized) is that the dream they set out for.
This is what some people have said..............

Now going back to the Romanies/Gypsies, (maybe I should have written more), I was going to say most of them now have camps with there own individual toilet block and electric points and coupled into mains and but still move from place to place, the Gypsy/Romany of old are few and far between living in a clearing with campfire

This is about Wild camping.....,..There are also many people enjoying the freedom going anywhere,anytime and the life suits them 100%

Campsites with electric points and showers toilets swimming pools entertainment these are different.... (it is not about the motorhomes, as they too are luxurious) it is living in that environment wild camping for the rest of your life.............if that's the life you want ok,.....selling up and living permanent in a motorhome...in a close environment

To up sticks and sell everything and not know what you are doing next is all well and good in books and dreams

Me I would rather know the positives with the negatives, plan what I am doing as it may be for the rest of my life....have a return plan if needed.....it is one big step in your life (normally at the latter end of your life 55+ for the majority).

If I offend anybody with what I say it is not done with intension to offend, malice or pointing at any individual,
I speak, as I see it, no frills, no rose glasses, just life as I see it.

This is my opinion........it is how I see life, how I go through life, I am not saying I am Mr. careful, I would have a plan with a get out clause

I wish anybody doing it or going to do it good luck, good health and an enjoyable life in your new adventure.

Sorry I have taken so long answering you question, but if I just put a few words, it is taken in the wrong context as criticism

A lot of you RVs, as people put it living your dream, will have a totally different view to what I have said, I accept that....you are doing it I am not

As I have said it is not for me

Mel

kontiki48

Free Member
Mar 2, 2010
milton keynes, bucks.
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
tent's, caravaning ,then 11 years motorhoming
hi, lot's of interesting view's regarding full timing, i also lost my other half in 2008,and rattle around in a 4 bed house,:Smile: and i have been thinking about doing like wise, but i would need a back-up in case i needed to return for what ever ie ill health, you just don't know what's round the corner, as i found out when my late wife was taken ill at 45 year's old, one way i could go is to down size and let the property out, giving me extra income and security at the same time.:thumb: . you only have to look at the expat's in spain who can't afford to stay due to the value of their pension's dropping

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Hi Jim...thank you... I think you understand where I am coming from....I am not knocking full timing,(what a life) I am just trying to say STOP and think....it may not be all rosey, and the good life...its a big decision..... its like Kontiki 48 said it happened with a lot of expats that moved to spain...there are now some very sad faces :Sad::cry:.......you just don't know what is around the corner...:Doh:

Mel :thumb:

Last edited:
OP
OP
paulharrison
Dec 4, 2007
worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago
Exp
20 years
hi, lot's of interesting view's regarding full timing, i also lost my other half in 2008,and rattle around in a 4 bed house,:Smile: and i have been thinking about doing like wise, but i would need a back-up in case i needed to return for what ever ie ill health, you just don't know what's round the corner, as i found out when my late wife was taken ill at 45 year's old, one way i could go is to down size and let the property out, giving me extra income and security at the same time.:thumb: . you only have to look at the expat's in spain who can't afford to stay due to the value of their pension's dropping

l nwas thinking of investing the money off the house on a 3 year building soc bond only pays 4% but you still got the money in 3 years to buy a house or maybe you met a partner with her own house and you mite want to buy one together no point in bein a expat thats why we got motrohomes turn the key and go, l am now trying to reduce my funiture to things which matter or wrd cost a lot to replace, this treads helping a lot Paul:thumb:

evans88

Free Member
Jul 8, 2008
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
You sold your house at the bottom of the market or close to it. The question is will house inflation be greater than the 4% you will receive from the Building Society?

My guess is yes. In fact if the property market picks up as it surely will then your 4% per annum will be insufficient to put you back to whwre you were and in fact probably will only account for inflation in everyday prices.

If I were in your position I would invest in a nice flat that you would be happy to live in yourself in the future, rent it out and go on your travels. Get a good agent and you can can forget about the hassle other than filling out your tax form each year which is very easy.

I had a fantastic agent for my properties and only had one bad tenant. Now is a good time to buy (and a bad time to sell).

Good luck.

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Now is a good time to buy (and a bad time to sell).
That depends on the age factor.

I'm nearly 60 and when I eventually sell up, would never buy private again. What for? Whats the point at my age? I'd rent before I would buy private.

I've just had an Insurance assessor to look at part of my roof which is damaged and let water in. I'm told my company won't cover it as it's considered 'general wear and tear', so I have got to fork out myself for re-roofing plus a new ceiling. If I was in rented i'd just have to lift the phone and tell the owner the roof needs sorting.

My property may well have tripled in value, but over the years the improvements made, general maintainance and running costs have been a constant drain.

OP
OP
paulharrison
Dec 4, 2007
worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago
Exp
20 years
Hi
evans88
if you paid 90k for a house and live in it for years and sell for 300k, the market factors are on your side, and like bulletguy in my late 50s do l really need to buy, or rent and let someone else have the worry of repairs the interest at only 4% comes to over 1k a month so rent at £700 and your living free plus if your want to travel, find another place when you come back if you feel like Paul

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back