SOG

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by BobT, May 27, 2011.

1. BobT

BobT Trader - Tour Operator

I am considering having a SOG unit fitted. I would be grateful for any comments, both pro and con on these units.

many thanks,

BobT

• Like Like x 1
  2. Jim

Jim Ringleader

If you like to sit there with the loo valve open then a sog is good, it should move any smells to the outside. If you, as I, prefer to have the valve closed while you sit, then you don't really need one.

There are those that say that because they have the sog, they don't need to buy expensive chemicals, but I have not used chemicals for years. There is absolutely no need for them. With a family of 5 the cassette got emptied at least once a day anyway so there was no need to add anything, its just not there long enough.

Most of the chemicals are bad for the environment, will kill a good septic tank and they cost too much money.

The SOG just costs money, with minimal benefit if any.

Just empty often and save ££££

• Like Like x 1
  3. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

What puts me off is an extra connection to the cassette. Something more to go wrong.

4. Terry

Terry Funster

MAKE A diy SOG I did and it did not cost a penny :thumb:Have a search on here for diy sog to see what is needed-I had most things in my garage and the rest I got off mates,hence free :thumb:Also agree with Jim's comments :thumb:
    terry

5. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi Brian the Sog pipe fits into the hole from the vent valve so no extra holes etc,dead simple to make and fit one :Wink::thumb:
    terry

6. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

I have a sog and swear by it.
    If you look at what Jim says as may be true, the reason I have a sog is nothing to do with breakdown with out chemicals.

It simply is a way of in a small space sending all the smells out side of the van and stopping the van smelling when somebody is using the toilet.

Works a treat and well worth the investment. :thumb:

7. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Back Draught
    In the truest sense:Rofl1::Rofl1:

8. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

and I swear at them.. nothing more antisocial than having one discharge the smell when you're parked next to the exhaust vent .. especially on a tightly packed aire ..

if your toilet access door is on the same side as your hab door, have a re-think .. the exhaust will be under your awning .. :Doh:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jim

Jim Ringleader

I been parked close to SOG users many times before, can't say I have ever noticed the discharge. "Lucky Jim?" :Smile:

10. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

I have had one for almost two years and think it is a great modification. Relatively easy to fit; removes the need for chemicals; no smell in the motorhome; encourages you to dump the contents more often as you're not wasting chemicals. (I was going to say it encourages you to dump more often, but that is open to misinterpretation.)
    Regarding smells, I have carried out the experiment of smelling around the vent area when the fan is running and cannot detect anything antisocial. You do have to change the carbon filter occasionally though; I'm about to put in the first replacement on ours.

I have also made a modification by fitting a master switch on the cassette door. I found that once the cassette was pulled out, the fan would start (that is since I dismantled the Thetford and lubricated all the moving parts) so now I can switch off the system whilst going to the disposal point.

11. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I recall one particular time when a Dutch van damn near parked under our awning.. not an issue until they used the loo.. the smell was nauseating , so much so we moved.

I am aware there is an activated carbon filter but would question how many bother changing it after it is exhausted.. ?

I met an English couple in France and after we became friendly he asked if I would help re route his SOG pipe to the roof as the exhaust vent was next to his hab door, (IIRC it was a Euromobil van) .. he had bought a longer piece of pipe and a roof cowl for the job..

I helped install the pipe and fit the cowl, it was a great success.. no more pong under his awning ..

12. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Tell us more about this experiment you conducted :Rofl1:

13. Gooney

Gooney Funster

It's a known fact that Dutch poo smells far worse than other European poo's, thats why they grow so many Tulips to disguise the niff.:Laughing:

• Like Like x 1
  14. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Just a cursory inspection you understand - I'm not a closet SOG-sniffer! :Blush::Blush:

15. JJ

JJ Funster

Funsters.... bear this in mind while strolling past the Hagger Mobil... :Eeek:

JJ :Cool:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

SOG, the best thing since sliced bread, keeps the room clean and smell free ready for use the moment the last person has used it.

Doug...

17. JJ

JJ Funster

Once there was a Funster with a SOG...

...who thought it was the round things of a dog...

...Until a Tugger passed by...

...and promptly did die...

...killed by the smelly, abnoxious fog.

JJ

• Like Like x 4
  18. moandick

moandick Read Only Funster

Oh Lord, what have you started here, Jim - Mercy, please! :Doh:

19. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

Ralph is undecided whether or not to fit a sog. All though we empty the cassette everyday ( being 5 of us ) and use proper chemicals , we still get a stink when we open the slot.
    He always rinses out the cassette properly too. Before putting the blue back in.
    Is it just us that have extra stinky doings:Blush:
    Our cassette door is at the back of the MH. So it shouldn't be much of a problem to the neighbors. We are watching this post with interest. :Smile:

20. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

I agree with Jim and Brian.....empty often, we do every day, and there is only two us, and also what Brian said the extra tube to disconnect and re-connect.... also they may only use a small amount "12v electricity" each time you use it......... think about it ? are you moving smells to another department !!! :Eeek: maybe a awning or the next van to you :Blush::Eeek:

Have you ever been behind somebody emptying a sog.....!!!!!!!*****!!!!!****

I have a friend who has one, and he arrived at the empty point same time as me "THE STENCH" I had to withdraw 50m just to breath....the smell........he also said his cassette door was at the rear, and did not bother him!

Mel

Last edited: May 27, 2011