BobT

Free Member
Jun 15, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I am considering having a SOG unit fitted. I would be grateful for any comments, both pro and con on these units.

many thanks,

BobT

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
If you like to sit there with the loo valve open then a sog is good, it should move any smells to the outside. If you, as I, prefer to have the valve closed while you sit, then you don't really need one.

There are those that say that because they have the sog, they don't need to buy expensive chemicals, but I have not used chemicals for years. There is absolutely no need for them. With a family of 5 the cassette got emptied at least once a day anyway so there was no need to add anything, its just not there long enough.

Most of the chemicals are bad for the environment, will kill a good septic tank and they cost too much money.

The SOG just costs money, with minimal benefit if any.

Just empty often and save ££££

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
What puts me off is an extra connection to the cassette. Something more to go wrong.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
MAKE A diy SOG I did and it did not cost a penny :thumb:Have a search on here for diy sog to see what is needed-I had most things in my garage and the rest I got off mates,hence free :thumb:Also agree with Jim's comments :thumb:
terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
What puts me off is an extra connection to the cassette. Something more to go wrong.

Hi Brian the Sog pipe fits into the hole from the vent valve so no extra holes etc,dead simple to make and fit one :winky::thumb:
terry

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
I have a sog and swear by it.
If you look at what Jim says as may be true, the reason I have a sog is nothing to do with breakdown with out chemicals.

It simply is a way of in a small space sending all the smells out side of the van and stopping the van smelling when somebody is using the toilet.

Works a treat and well worth the investment. :thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland

and I swear at them.. nothing more antisocial than having one discharge the smell when you're parked next to the exhaust vent .. especially on a tightly packed aire ..

if your toilet access door is on the same side as your hab door, have a re-think .. the exhaust will be under your awning .. :Doh:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
and I swear at them.. nothing more antisocial than having one discharge the smell when you're parked next to the exhaust vent .. especially on a tightly packed aire ..

if your toilet access door is on the same side as your hab door, have a re-think .. the exhaust will be under your awning .. :Doh:

I been parked close to SOG users many times before, can't say I have ever noticed the discharge. "Lucky Jim?" :Smile:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I have had one for almost two years and think it is a great modification. Relatively easy to fit; removes the need for chemicals; no smell in the motorhome; encourages you to dump the contents more often as you're not wasting chemicals. (I was going to say it encourages you to dump more often, but that is open to misinterpretation.)
Regarding smells, I have carried out the experiment of smelling around the vent area when the fan is running and cannot detect anything antisocial. You do have to change the carbon filter occasionally though; I'm about to put in the first replacement on ours.

I have also made a modification by fitting a master switch on the cassette door. I found that once the cassette was pulled out, the fan would start (that is since I dismantled the Thetford and lubricated all the moving parts) so now I can switch off the system whilst going to the disposal point.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I been parked close to SOG users many times before, can't say I have ever noticed the discharge. "Lucky Jim?" :Smile:

I recall one particular time when a Dutch van damn near parked under our awning.. not an issue until they used the loo.. the smell was nauseating , so much so we moved.

I am aware there is an activated carbon filter but would question how many bother changing it after it is exhausted.. ?

I met an English couple in France and after we became friendly he asked if I would help re route his SOG pipe to the roof as the exhaust vent was next to his hab door, (IIRC it was a Euromobil van) .. he had bought a longer piece of pipe and a roof cowl for the job..

I helped install the pipe and fit the cowl, it was a great success.. no more pong under his awning ..

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Regarding smells, I have carried out the experiment of smelling around the vent area when the fan is running and cannot detect anything antisocial.

Tell us more about this experiment you conducted :ROFLMAO:

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
[HI]I recall one particular time when a Dutch van damn near parked under our awning.. not an issue until they used the loo.. the smell was nauseating[/HI] , so much so we moved.

I am aware there is an activated carbon filter but would question how many bother changing it after it is exhausted.. ?

I met an English couple in France and after we became friendly he asked if I would help re route his SOG pipe to the roof as the exhaust vent was next to his hab door, (IIRC it was a Euromobil van) .. he had bought a longer piece of pipe and a roof cowl for the job..

I helped install the pipe and fit the cowl, it was a great success.. no more pong under his awning ..

It's a known fact that Dutch poo smells far worse than other European poo's, thats why they grow so many Tulips to disguise the niff.:roflmto:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
If you look at what Jim says as may be true, the reason I have a sog is nothing to do with breakdown with out chemicals.

It simply is a way of in a small space sending all the smells out side of the van and stopping the van smelling when somebody is using the toilet.

Works a treat and well worth the investment. :thumb:

Funsters.... bear this in mind while strolling past the Hagger Mobil... :Eeek:

JJ :Cool:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
SOG, the best thing since sliced bread, keeps the room clean and smell free ready for use the moment the last person has used it.

Doug...

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Once there was a Funster with a SOG...

...who thought it was the round things of a dog...

...Until a Tugger passed by...

...and promptly did die...

...killed by the smelly, abnoxious fog.

JJ

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Ralph is undecided whether or not to fit a sog. All though we empty the cassette everyday ( being 5 of us ) and use proper chemicals , we still get a stink when we open the slot.
He always rinses out the cassette properly too. Before putting the blue back in.
Is it just us that have extra stinky doings:Blush:
Our cassette door is at the back of the MH. So it shouldn't be much of a problem to the neighbors. We are watching this post with interest. :Smile:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
I agree with Jim and Brian.....empty often, we do every day, and there is only two us, and also what Brian said the extra tube to disconnect and re-connect.... also they may only use a small amount "12v electricity" each time you use it......... think about it ? are you moving smells to another department !!! :Eeek: maybe a awning or the next van to you :Blush::Eeek:

Have you ever been behind somebody emptying a sog.....!!!!!!!*****!!!!!****

I have a friend who has one, and he arrived at the empty point same time as me "THE STENCH" I had to withdraw 50m just to breath....the smell........he also said his cassette door was at the rear, and did not bother him!

Mel

Last edited:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Once there was a Funster with a SOG...

...who thought it was the round things of a dog...

...Until a Tugger passed by...

...and promptly did die...

...killed by the smelly, abnoxious fog.

JJ

How true you are JJ.....

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
I recall one particular time when a Dutch van damn near parked under our awning.. not an issue until they used the loo.. the smell was nauseating , so much so we moved.

Jim, we had to shut door, windows and roof lights.....this when it was very hot and sunny:Eeek:

Mel

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Hi Brian the Sog pipe fits into the hole from the vent valve so no extra holes etc,dead simple to make and fit one :winky::thumb:
terry

Yes but don't you have to take the pipe out to empty and replace the pipe when you put the cassette back

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
The pipe simply pulls off the opposite end from the cassette (by the door)then empty as normal ::bigsmile: after that you push it back on and shut the door :thumb:
terry

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
I am amazed that some people say they empty the cassettes every couple of days. With proper management 2 people an make a cassette last 5 days and we have been known to make it last 7 days before having to empty it, and that's using it as the sole convenience.

Doug...

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I am amazed that some people say they empty the cassettes every couple of days. With proper management 2 people an make a cassette last 5 days and we have been known to make it last 7 days before having to empty it, and that's using it as the sole convenience.

Doug...

Please expand on your management. We only seem to last a couple of days. I assume it doesn't involve just not eating or drinking.:roflmto:

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
I empty mine almost every day,then again I do use it a lot:RollEyes::RollEyes::RollEyes::RollEyes:

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I am amazed that some people say they empty the cassettes every couple of days. [HI]With proper management [/HI]2 people an make a cassette last 5 days and we have been known to make it last 7 days before having to empty it, and that's using it as the sole convenience.

Doug...

Proper management??
I go every morning 7:30am sharp
Trouble is, I don't get up 'til 8am:Blush::Blush:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

Doug...

Mmmmmm:ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back