Snipe 2 - suppliers and best prices? (1 Viewer)

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
I'm in the market for a Snipe 2 so i'm looking for ideas on best price and suppliers?
I need a low profile system when folded- as the H3 Ducato PVC chassis is 2.75m tall and i need to keep it under 3m (when folded) for keeping within Class 2 on the Autoroutes in France.

ta :)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Cheapest is on eBay from German companies, slightly dearer is Red Apple Digital, still comes via Germany but you have a UK company to contact if you have any problems. Most orther suppliers won't supply a mounting plate unless you have them arrange to fit it. I bought mine from Red Apple as the first Snipe we had we had a problem with it so I liked the idear of UK back up.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Bought mine from Germany andd had it fitted by my local motor home dealer ,all for less than £ 600 .that was 2 years ago ,so prices will have gone up .Roy

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I had heard whisper tell of the release of Snipe 3 satellite system but have yet to see it advertised. Have you got a link to any of these adverts?

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
I had heard whisper tell of the release of Snipe 3 satellite system but have yet to see it advertised. Have you got a link to any of these adverts?
It would be interesting to see a feature comparison between the Snipe 2 and Snipe 3 models, assuming the latter is a reality.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I think its Red Apple Digital that stopped selling them.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
@airwave Ta
@RowleyBirkinQC Translation from German website -
Not sure if there is any difference (apart from the price!)

Selfsat Snipe Single V3 Fully Automatic Satellite Antenna

Selfsat SNIPE 3 - Everything NEW!

New version, even better and more durable!

The fully automatic satellite antenna SELFSAT SNIPE 3 "White Line" offers an inconspicuous installation due to its noble design in complete white tone. The compact design of the SNIPE 3 antenna takes up very little space - ideal for mounting on the roof of a motorhome. Even the annoying alignment at a new location is eliminated. Thanks to the integrated GPS module and electronically controlled drive, the antenna automatically aligns itself at the touch of a button. You receive your usual desired program even when traveling, as long as the respective satellite is available. The SNIPE 3 automatically engages as soon as you turn off the receiver or start the vehicle. Despite its small dimensions, the Selfsat SNIPE 3 offers a very good reception result. The three-layer antenna structure with wave guide horn array function largely prevents the diffuse reflection of the satellite signal. Horizontally and vertically polarized signals are separated and directed to the LNB. The result: a high signal strength at the LNB.

On the way the desired program received: automatic alignment to the desired satellites by pressing a button
Cumbersome antenna alignment is eliminated
10 pre-programmed satellites (Turksat, Astra 2, Astra 3, Astra 1, Hotbird, Eutelsat 9, Astra 4, Thor, Eutelsat 5W, Hispasat). In addition to the pre-programmed satellites, another 2 satellites can be added.
Automatic adjustment of elevation, azimuth and skew by antenna drive
Reception performance comparable to a conventional 60cm mirror
Very practical for motorhomes: ultra-flat construction
Suitable for mobile use as well as fixed roof mounting
Suitable for permanent use
Waterproof construction with drainage system
World's smallest and most powerful automatic satellite antenna
With single LNB for 1 subscriber (receiver / TV)

Advantages of the new SNIPE 3
New antenna with a new design:
The new design ensures even better reception
Improved durability:
Ultra waterproof and with drainage system
Light and rustproof due to reinforced plastic material
Built-in high voltage protection circuit to prevent short circuits on the LNB
Advanced technology:
Support for DiSEqC 1.0 / 1.1
Car satellite switch with TV channel control
Move into the HOME position by switching off the receiver / TV
New additional functions:
Up to 12 preset satellites
Optimum inclination adjustment and fast search with GPS
Automatic retraction to the HOME position when the vehicle starts
Solid mechanics:
Precise alignment with die-cast aluminum gearbox housing
A strong lock protects the antenna from shock during the ride
The longevity of the transmission has been greatly improved through the use of die-cast aluminium
New controller:
Smart TP management with storage of 12 transponders (TPs)
Automatic removal of obsolete TP and automatic update of new TP
The main control buttons directly on the controller provide easy operation and maintenance of the device
Easy upgrade procedure via USB
New construction:
No mechanical damage when lifting the antenna.
Improved home position including locking system ensures a firm and secure grip while driving.
New engine:
The new powerful engine, reinforced with a 18: 1 gear ratio, provides high torque and less noise when aligned.

Technical specifications:
LNB input frequency: 10.7 ~ 12.75 GHz
Polarization: Vertical & Horizontal
Profit: 33.7 dBi at 12.7 GHz
Dimensions (W x H x D): 515 x 355 x 201 mm
Weight: 10.3 kg (without case, mounting plate and accessories)
Min. EIRP: 50 dBw
Elevation: automatic, 15-90 °
Azimuth: automatic, 360 °
Skew: automatic, -45 ° to + 45 °
DiseqC: 1.0 / 1.1
Satellite search time: max. 180s
LNB output: 1
LNB output frequency: 950 ~ 2,150 MHz
LNB L.O. Frequency: 9.75 / 10.6 GHz
Operating temperature: -30 to +60 ° C
Supply voltage: 12V DC
Power consumption: 30W (during satellite search)

Delivery:
Fully automatic satellite antenna SNIPE Version 3 with single LNB
Mounting plate for mounting e.g. on the roof of a motorhome
Cigarette lighter cable
Antenna cable (gray) 12m
Controller SNIPE 3
controller support
Controller cable (black) 12m
base pads

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Oh, and btw it's so new it isn't even on the manufacturers website!:confused:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
..the H3 Ducato PVC chassis is 2.75m tall and i need to keep it under 3m (when folded) for keeping within Class 2 on the Autoroutes in France.

Is 2.75m the height of the surface on which the Snipe 2 will be fixed, or the maximum height of the vehicle? The two might be different if any fittings project above roof height, so you might have more space to play with than you think. We did anyway. A Snipe 2 with its metal mounting plate is just below 20cms tall.

As for Classe 2 - there's a bit of leeway there. Our first MH was 3.05m and always went through as Classe 2. In theory, a satellite installation isn't supposed to affect Classe 2 eligibility on its own, but in practice it sometimes does. Domes tend to be the worst culprits - the Snipe 2 is more compact than some roof vents when folded.

OP
OP
gerry mcg

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
2.75m is the roof level on which the Sat would be mounted, the highest point of the van just now is probably 2.85m ( top of mifi-heki roonvent) but with the snipe coming in at <25cm when folded, I would be below 3.00m. The biggest issue I appear to have is roof space to mount the Snipe. the 150w solar panel is 1450mm long and 700mm wide so it would barely fit transversely and if I were to keep it orientated longitudinally but the panel from a central position to an offset outboard position, there is just enough space for the snipe Base plate at 550mm, but I risk overshadow on the solar panel. There may be just enough space behind the rear roof vent but it is very close to the back of the van
42A982C9-8543-44DF-951D-920CA6A5FFA5.jpeg

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Your roof is corrugated and the base plate is flat - at the risk of stating the bleeding obvious there'll need to be some suitable provision for that regarding adhesives, hole drilling and waterproofing.

It's unlikely that solar panel performance will be much affected by the shadow of a raised Snipe 2, especially as most people watch TV in the evening anyway.

OP
OP
gerry mcg

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
Yip, aware of the corrugations. My thinking was a suitable Sikaflex adhesive only on the raised elements of the roof to attach the baseplate only with no bolts / fixings going through the roof.
I'm guessing that using raised elements only for adhesive would give me say 50% baseplate area coverage, which is probably sufficient

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
"Allegedly" in stock here -

http://www.sat-world.com/Selfsat-SNIPE-V3-White-Line-Single-Vollautomatische-Satelliten-Antenne
https://www.satshop.tv/Selfsat-SNIPE-V3-White-Line-Twin-Vollautomatische-Satelliten-Antenne
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Original-Sel...245816565?clk_rvr_id=1378571908961&rmvSB=true

Again allegedly, the Snipe 2 solved the issues of damp, worn gears, etc and is available for around €200 less. If German suppliers allegedly have stock how come the manufacturers website has no detail? Are they working a flanker and "rebadging" a v1 or v2 with a revised label? I'm wary until further detail available.

ps hope you feel better shortly.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Yip, aware of the corrugations. My thinking was a suitable Sikaflex adhesive only on the raised elements of the roof to attach the baseplate only with no bolts / fixings going through the roof.
I'm guessing that using raised elements only for adhesive would give me say 50% baseplate area coverage, which is probably sufficient
Sika 252 with the Aktivator 206 and I think for your roof the 206 G+P primer, the 252 is a structural Adhesive and needs to be applied at 7-8mm and when compressed should be 4-5mm (use spacers to achieve) thick so maybe fill in the corrugated parts (extra tube for £25) with adhesive so you have a continuous bed of adhesive
Used above myself for my Snipe2 and todate, touch wood, had not issue with over 4000 miles covered

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
I called Red Apple to see if they knew any more about the Snipe 3, the response being that tech spec info is subject to confirmation until the product is official released (imminent apparently). However, the speculation is that there is a new controller and that the gearing has been upgraded/improved yet again. I think a week point of the Snipe 1 was plastic gearing which was prone to failure/slipping, mainly experienced by vehicle mounted units. The Snipe 2 then moved to metal gearing to try and address that weakness, but apparently that version may still have similar issues when vehicle mounted, sometimes resulting in the panel being left in the upright position. Outside of this unconfirmed speculation, I guess we just have to wait and see...

OP
OP
gerry mcg

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
i see Red Apple are selling Snipe3 now - from £780

OP
OP
gerry mcg

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
I'm like the order a Snipe v3 when I get back from holiday.

They do a single and thin LNB version. What is the benefit of a twin LNB? I assume the twin LMB allows recording of a second channel. Not something I'm bothered about TBH.

Last edited:

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
I'm like the order a Snipe v3 when I get back from holiday.

They do a single and thin LNB version. What is the benefit of a twin LNB? I assume the twin LMB allows recording of a second channel. Not something I'm bothered about TBH.
The twin LNB also allows you to have 2 tv’s watching different programs

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
We accidentally drove off and left our Snipe2 up. Sure enough it folded away by itself (y)

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I bought my Snipe 2 off eBay from a German vendor as they were the cheapest with the best feedback at the time.
It arrived via DHL in about 4 or 5 days and I fitted it myself the next day.
It packed up after a couple of months (kept searching but could not find a satellite) so I rang the German vendor who of course spoke perfect English and it was packed back into the big black plastic case it arrived in and headed back to Germany. Three days later I received an email to say it had arrived with them and the next day an email to say that the fault had been fixed and a DHL tracking number for it's return journey and 3 days later I had it back and it's been fine since. A good company is a good company where ever in the world they are.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back