SMEV Oven

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Figaro, Sep 5, 2015.

1. Figaro

Figaro Funster

I realise most funsters are partying hard this weekend at Shell Island but I thought I`d see who was up for a question.
    The SMEV LPG oven and grill is struggling to do much useful in oven mode.
    I`ve had a closer look and there are no obstructions to the burner, but the 1-6 dial seems to make no difference to the size of the flame whether it`s on 1 or 6.
    The door seal does not appear damaged.
    It does warm things up e v e n t u a l l y but takes far longer than a man should have to wait for his tea !
    Is this usual with these MH ovens or could there be a fault ?
    Unfortunately I don`t have a manual and there is no model number I can see.
    Cheers
    TIA.........................

2. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

Our old mh had the same Smev oven, supposedly really good. It worked. But not like the one at home. The one ralphs put into Pug is a different one . It's not plumbed into the gas yet. But I doubt it will be like the one at home too. I'm not fussed. Either way. I'm away, having fun . I'm not the Dort to bake bread , cakes, buns, but used the smev for warming up. Tending to use the hob for most meals.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Figaro

Figaro Funster

Humm, maybe my expectations were a little too high !
    I wasn`t expecting to do any baking, I think that would be a step too far, just warm up me Lasagne and garlic bread.
    As I said it did get there eventually. I`ll just have to allow more time for it.
    Still, more time for pre-dinner drinkies whilst I wait - Result (y)

4. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

I have the oven version with no grill. As I understand it the dial works a thermostat. When the oven reaches the set temperature the flame goes out leaving just a small pilot light. When the temperature drops a bit the flame comes back on and so on. Therefore the flame is the same size on all settings.

Ours works fine - not as quick as our electric oven at home, but cooks well.

5. Figaro

Figaro Funster

Ah, thanks Peter, that might explain it, it`s a long time since we had a gas oven at home but when we did I`m sure the flame height altered depending on the setting even at start up, assumed this would be the same.
    I`ll persevere with it
    Cheers
    Chris

6. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Yep you are right with UK domestic gas ovens like my mum used to have. Set it to regulo number and the ta controlled the amount of gas and thus the flame. Bit hit and miss from memory. Some recipes still show the regulo number!

7. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

check the gas flow to the grill and hob are still strong. if they are, it may be a blocked jet, a faulty thermocouple or a kinked pipe. if not the regulator may be failing
    have seen and fixed all the above over time. most are simple to sort

• Like Like x 1
  8. BwB

BwB Funster Life Member

As previous, the flame in the oven is on full until the thermostat cuts in when up to temperature. The wind can have an effect on oven warming times too. There is a vent at the top of the back wall of the oven and the wind can whistle through it if the outside of the vent is into wind.

9. Masman

Masman Funster

I have smev oven with grill.I had to change my regulator last year after it failed.we've noticed our oven work's better now.it doesn't take as long to get to temperature.

• Like Like x 1