Sleeping in a motorhome in a residential area in London

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by dochiley, Oct 10, 2016.

1. dochiley

dochiley Funster

Anybody got any first hand experience of sleeping in a motorhome in a residential area in London?

We want to sleep in it outside/near a property in postcode N5 but will not use it during the day, so will not cook or eat in it. It is a permit only parking area but we will be displaying the necessary. We do not intend to use ramps and will have the blinds down at all times.

I have found reports that doing so in a campervan it not a problem, as lots of folk park similar 'white vans' on the streets at night. But wonder if a 7m motorhome might be a more conspicuous and cause the 'arm of the law' to coming knocking on the door in the middle of the night.

2. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

If you comply with any local restrictions (including lighting if the police are keen) you should be OK. See my notes Here.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. emmitdb

emmitdb Funster

The only thing I would add to GJH's comments above is that you would need lights to be displayed if the vehicle has a GVW in excess of 3.5tonnes. This is so even in a 30mph area.
    However, having thrown that spanner into the works, I would imagine that the Police would have far better things to do than knock you out of your slumbers, even if you are over that 3.5 limit.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. mikebeaches

mikebeaches Funster

According to the links to the Highway Code provided by GJH, the maximum gross vehicle weight above which parking lights are required - in a 30mph zone - is 2.5 tonnes - which I admit was news to me. But the information is there in the Highway Code Rule - 250, apparently. :)

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  5. emmitdb

emmitdb Funster

Ah, But, Ah, But, Ah, But............
    A motorcaravan not exceeding 3.5tonnes is a Car??? by definition.
    The rule re 1525kgs (unladen) or 2500kgs (laden) refers to goods vehicles, which a motorcaravan is not.
    But, on going over the 3.5t limit, a motorcaravan ceases to be a car and requires lights to be displayed.

I would, however draw your attn. to my previous comments. The Police have better things to do.
    The above comment does not apply to retired Police Officers Hee Hee.

Having said all that, this one was news to me, not with regard to roads, but to vehicles in Lay- By's
    "All vehicles MUST display parking lights when parked on a road or a lay-by on a road with a speed limit greater than 30 mph"

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Vanman

Vanman Funster

I wrote to our local council, asking primarily about over-night parking as we live partly opposite a junction. I got this reply -

"There are no restrictions on parking campervans on the adopted highway, provided they are taxed. Insured and MOT’d and do not obstruct the carriageway or access / egress or contravene any local traffic regulation order (parking restrictions / weight limit etc). It is also illegal to live in one on a public highway."

7. Ivory55

Ivory55 Funster

I think the lay by rule is for one that is right beside the road , not set back at all.

8. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I would write back to them and ask them exactly what part of what legislation makes it illegal. As we found recently, with Broadwater Green, if the residence is long term and gives rise to complaints, then councils may direct the people involved to move on. That does not mean, though, that, in the absence of such direction, residence is illegal.

9. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

The legislation is Here. Para (5) applies if I've read it correctly (only had time to skim read it).

10. Vanman

Vanman Funster

As I said, my question was about parking - I have no intention of sleeping in it over-night, so I am happy enough with the answer. I just shared it in case it helped the OP.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

It's just me. If an organisation makes such a statement or (apparently) quotes legislation at me wrongly I like to ask them to justify their statement :D

12. Ninovan

Ninovan Funster

How many HGVs do you see parked up in lay-bys at night with no lights? Just asking ;)

• Like Like x 2
  13. Ivory55

Ivory55 Funster

I know 2 drivers who have been nicked for it. The lay by has to separate from the road by a hedge or kerb or the big chevron markings.

14. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

How many vans do you see parked in streets at night with no lights ?
    there is also " parking within 10m of a junction during the hours of darkness " requires lights to be on. Additionally you must also be facing in the right direction

15. ambulancekidd

ambulancekidd Funster

There are lots of little bylaws & laws that are rarely enforced, but one that floats around in my head bans the use of a naked flame on the highway. This then would apply to a fridge on gas or popping the kettle on the hob for a brew.
    Hope & pray that I've got that law wrong? Can anyone clarify or have a giggle at my wonky memory lol.

16. emmitdb

emmitdb Funster

@ambulancekidd wrote,
    "There are lots of little bylaws & laws that are rarely enforced, but one that floats around in my head bans the use of a naked flame on the highway."

Is that different to having a naked old flame in the back of your car???

I'll get me coat.

• Funny Funny x 12
  17. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Yes it's completely different, you should have referred to having an old flame naked in the back of your car dontchaknow? :whistle:

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

finding a place to park might be the hardest part where in highbury are you going?
    i doubt anyone will take any notice provided its not on a main rd weve slept outside lots of friends houses in london

19. Margaritaman

Margaritaman Funster

Wonder how an insurance company would treat an injury claim from the occupants sleeping overnight in a MoHo as a result a collision on a public highway?

20. Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad Funster Life Member

What constitutes parking lights?
    Is there a definition as to what brightness, and or number?
    Just wondered if some temporary set up could be jury rigged used LEDs ?
    Surely in a MH power isn't an issue and whether or not they're absolutely necessary.

• Funny Funny x 1