Sleeping in a motorhome in a residential area in London (1 Viewer)

Jan 4, 2015
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
CHAUSSON FLASH 08
Exp
SINCE 2009
Anybody got any first hand experience of sleeping in a motorhome in a residential area in London?

We want to sleep in it outside/near a property in postcode N5 but will not use it during the day, so will not cook or eat in it. It is a permit only parking area but we will be displaying the necessary. We do not intend to use ramps and will have the blinds down at all times.

I have found reports that doing so in a campervan it not a problem, as lots of folk park similar 'white vans' on the streets at night. But wonder if a 7m motorhome might be a more conspicuous and cause the 'arm of the law' to coming knocking on the door in the middle of the night.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
The only thing I would add to GJH's comments above is that you would need lights to be displayed if the vehicle has a GVW in excess of 3.5tonnes. This is so even in a 30mph area.
However, having thrown that spanner into the works, I would imagine that the Police would have far better things to do than knock you out of your slumbers, even if you are over that 3.5 limit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: GJH

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
The only thing I would add to GJH's comments above is that you would need lights to be displayed if the vehicle has a GVW in excess of 3.5tonnes. This is so even in a 30mph area.
However, having thrown that spanner into the works, I would imagine that the Police would have far better things to do than knock you out of your slumbers, even if you are over that 3.5 limit.
According to the links to the Highway Code provided by GJH, the maximum gross vehicle weight above which parking lights are required - in a 30mph zone - is 2.5 tonnes - which I admit was news to me. But the information is there in the Highway Code Rule - 250, apparently. :)

Last edited:

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
According to the links to the Highway Code provided by GJH, the maximum gross vehicle weight above which parking lights are required - in a 30mph zone - is 2.5 tonnes - which I admit was news to me. But the information is there in the Highway Code Rule - 250, apparently. :)

Ah, But, Ah, But, Ah, But............
A motorcaravan not exceeding 3.5tonnes is a Car??? by definition.
The rule re 1525kgs (unladen) or 2500kgs (laden) refers to goods vehicles, which a motorcaravan is not.
But, on going over the 3.5t limit, a motorcaravan ceases to be a car and requires lights to be displayed.

I would, however draw your attn. to my previous comments. The Police have better things to do.
The above comment does not apply to retired Police Officers Hee Hee.

Having said all that, this one was news to me, not with regard to roads, but to vehicles in Lay- By's
"All vehicles MUST display parking lights when parked on a road or a lay-by on a road with a speed limit greater than 30 mph"

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
I wrote to our local council, asking primarily about over-night parking as we live partly opposite a junction. I got this reply -

"There are no restrictions on parking campervans on the adopted highway, provided they are taxed. Insured and MOT’d and do not obstruct the carriageway or access / egress or contravene any local traffic regulation order (parking restrictions / weight limit etc). It is also illegal to live in one on a public highway."

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It is also illegal to live in one on a public highway.
I would write back to them and ask them exactly what part of what legislation makes it illegal. As we found recently, with Broadwater Green, if the residence is long term and gives rise to complaints, then councils may direct the people involved to move on. That does not mean, though, that, in the absence of such direction, residence is illegal.

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
I would write back to them and ask them exactly what part of what legislation makes it illegal. As we found recently, with Broadwater Green, if the residence is long term and gives rise to complaints, then councils may direct the people involved to move on. That does not mean, though, that, in the absence of such direction, residence is illegal.

As I said, my question was about parking - I have no intention of sleeping in it over-night, so I am happy enough with the answer. I just shared it in case it helped the OP.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
As I said, my question was about parking - I have no intention of sleeping in it over-night, so I am happy enough with the answer. I just shared it in case it helped the OP.
It's just me. If an organisation makes such a statement or (apparently) quotes legislation at me wrongly I like to ask them to justify their statement :D

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
How many HGVs do you see parked up in lay-bys at night with no lights? Just asking ;)
I know 2 drivers who have been nicked for it. The lay by has to separate from the road by a hedge or kerb or the big chevron markings.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
How many vans do you see parked in streets at night with no lights ?

Having said all that, this one was news to me, not with regard to roads, but to vehicles in Lay- By's
"All vehicles MUST display parking lights when parked on a road or a lay-by on a road with a speed limit greater than 30 mph"

there is also " parking within 10m of a junction during the hours of darkness " requires lights to be on. Additionally you must also be facing in the right direction

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
There are lots of little bylaws & laws that are rarely enforced, but one that floats around in my head bans the use of a naked flame on the highway. This then would apply to a fridge on gas or popping the kettle on the hob for a brew.
Hope & pray that I've got that law wrong? Can anyone clarify or have a giggle at my wonky memory lol.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
@ambulancekidd wrote,
"There are lots of little bylaws & laws that are rarely enforced, but one that floats around in my head bans the use of a naked flame on the highway."

Is that different to having a naked old flame in the back of your car???

I'll get me coat.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
@ambulancekidd wrote,
"There are lots of little bylaws & laws that are rarely enforced, but one that floats around in my head bans the use of a naked flame on the highway."

Is that different to having a naked old flame in the back of your car???

I'll get me coat.
Yes it's completely different, you should have referred to having an old flame naked in the back of your car dontchaknow? :whistle:

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
finding a place to park might be the hardest part where in highbury are you going?
i doubt anyone will take any notice provided its not on a main rd weve slept outside lots of friends houses in london

Margaritaman

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile C Class
Exp
since 2008
Wonder how an insurance company would treat an injury claim from the occupants sleeping overnight in a MoHo as a result a collision on a public highway?

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
What constitutes parking lights?
Is there a definition as to what brightness, and or number?
Just wondered if some temporary set up could be jury rigged used LEDs ?
Surely in a MH power isn't an issue and whether or not they're absolutely necessary.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
... anyone thinking that the Police in Highbury enforce any parking regs is mistaken. It was deregulated ages ago and is dealt with by the local authority. Police will only deal with obstructions. If your parked legally then there's going to be no issue.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
What constitutes parking lights?
Is there a definition as to what brightness, and or number?
Just wondered if some temporary set up could be jury rigged used LEDs ?
Surely in a MH power isn't an issue and whether or not they're absolutely necessary.

Basically a 'Parking Light' has a wattage of 5w in old money and should be within a foot of both the front and rear of the vehicle.
Forgot to add, if there's only one at each end, should be on the offside of the vehicle and if there's two, (a pair at each end) they should be matched in terms of height and distance from the outside of the vehicle.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
I've done this a few times in London
No problems at all
Angel, Hackney and Finsbury Park gg

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
How many HGVs do you see parked up in lay-bys at night with no lights? Just asking ;)

Dozens. And most of them have non UK Licence plates!.

I know 2 drivers who have been nicked for it. The lay by has to separate from the road by a hedge or kerb or the big chevron markings.

See above!. Because they wont pay for Overnight parking, even on MSA`s.

BTW, does the rule about not parking a lorry overnight inside the GLC area still apply??. used to be that you have to be out by 9pm (Covent Garden).

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Wonder how an insurance company would treat an injury claim from the occupants sleeping overnight in a MoHo as a result a collision on a public highway?
Can't see why not although being the UK they'll try & not pay for any reason. Perfectly legal here & the law defines the difference between camping & parking but only what you can /can't do have outside or open. Sleeping is allowed in both cases.
BTW, does the rule about not parking a lorry overnight inside the GLC area still apply??. used to be that you have to be out by 9pm (Covent Garden).
Not sure as my neighbour has delivered their during the night. It all comes under this lot now.

http://www.londoncouncils.gov.uk/services/london-lorry-control

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Can't see why not although being the UK they'll try & not pay for any reason. Perfectly legal here & the law defines the difference between camping & parking but only what you can /can't do have outside or open. Sleeping is allowed in both cases.

Not sure as my neighbour has delivered their during the night. It all comes under this lot now.

http://www.londoncouncils.gov.uk/services/london-lorry-control

Just had a look. Half of the Routes we took in the "old days" are excluded,you cant even use the Woolwhich ferry anymore!

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
If you park up in the road, you might be noticed but by the time anybody thinks about it you have gone somewhere else, I park in Watford Village on the A5 by a long high wall, make no noise and make no fuss, nobody has ever noticed me or been disturbed by me, leave no footprint at all, not even grey water???????????

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
In the dim and distant past when Pontius was a pilot and I was a young boy gh was a law that all vehicles parked on the road had to show a white light to the front and a red to the rear. To comply this was a light which clipped over the drivers window glass and clipped on the battery. In those days the batteries would not stand the drain and on a winters morning there was a lot of use of the starting handle. So most put them on and forgot to connect and about once a month the police would have a purge and come round about 2.30 am and knock everyone up to connect them up .

They were very low wattage this is the sort of thing we used to use Link Removed but would guess you could sort something like this as a temporary use Link Removed

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I am not sure about the legality but as someone who lives in his van and has regularly parked on the road overnight. My advice is.
don't stop in the same place too often, this attracts attention and complaints. If you want a good nights sleep make sure you don't park on a route back from the pub as you will get drunks who think it is funny to bang on the van on their way home. Park considerately. Look for drives nearby where your parking may block the view of the road making it difficult or dangerous for them to get in and out of their own property.

Basically, try not to give anyone a reason to complain, even if you are entirely legal.

I visited my mum quite regularly and even lived outside her house when she was recovering from her operation. All the neighbours knew and were fine with it. However a new neighbour moved in and within a week we had letters from the housing association. 6 months later there was a 2 hours parking restriction outside her house and all the way up the road.

If you park regularly in one spot, you are likely to p^ss at least one person off and this can set a chain of events off even if you are totally within the law.

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Most of my travelling is outside this country but when I do my wandering in the UK I frequently overnight in residential areas and do what I call Flanking. Many suburban street junctions have flank walls. No drive entrances, not often overlooked and usually plenty of space.
Arrive late, low profile activity, leave early......... and don't drain your grey into the gutter!
I've never had a problem.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back