Should I pay this charge? (1 Viewer)

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
all about how things are worded, and may also be a regional thing but i initially read it that there was a problem and Eddie had said shit happens, seeming like it was his workshop, and that was the response to the complaint. Read on because i couldn't believe it, but others may not.

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Wales last time I checked.
Funster No
MH
Caravan: Buccaneer
Exp
Caravan before 2000 / Motorhome From 2018 to 22 / Now Caravan again.
If it was Eddie of which he now has no control over Vanbitz retired and their loyalty to customers is beyond faultless, I know its not them anyway.

I would post up the company not as in a name and shame but as a reference to your expected work that's not been carried out to you a customer that's not satisfied.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
eddievanbitz has said that “sh!t happens” when folk work on your MH and you just need to suck it up. Three weeks ago I put my20y old van in for a hab service but I’m not impressed with the outcome
Actually I can't remember saying "Shit Happens" when working on peoples motorhomes!

I may of done because it does, it's the way that you deal with it afterwards that is important

In this instance it doesn't seem well dealt with

Nov 20, 2017
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
Since 2015
As I understand it, they only need to be Gas Safe registered if it is a rental vehicle.
Not sure about that if your carrying out gas work on someone else's vehicle I'm pretty sure you need to be gase safe registered by law and conform to the GSIU regulations it is a criminal offence if you do not !

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Not sure about that if your carrying out gas work on someone else's vehicle I'm pretty sure you need to be gase safe registered by law and conform to the GSIU regulations it is a criminal offence if you do not !

OP
OP
Rapido925M
Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Actually I can't remember saying "Shit Happens" when working on peoples motorhomes!

I may of done because it does, it's the way that you deal with it afterwards that is important

In this instance it doesn't seem well dealt with
I should have put owtte because I remember the general thrust of your comments but I wasn’t going to spend time looking for it. Apologies!

Gordon

OP
OP
Rapido925M
Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Love the term " technician" seams to cover a mulitude of dodgy jobs these days.
There was a whole thread on “engineers” recently. Technicians are on the lower rung of that description.

Gordon

OP
OP
Rapido925M
Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
UPDATE: I now have fridge working correctly so I should be happy. (y)
After some "discussion" I reluctantly agreed to pay the £260 for a new valve and it was fitted free of charge, so I should be reasonably happy. (y)

HOWEVER, when I collected the van previously the ignition knob was hard to depress and the technician needed a pair of pliers to pull it out to stop the flow of gas into the body of the vehicle. [We also turned it off at the manifold.]
I asked for the old valve to be returned to me and it seems to work fine: the central spiggot depresses easily and springs back of its own accord. IMO it is not faulty. :rolleyes:

WHAT should I do now please?

Gordon

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Let them sort it, you paid for the part and they should have fitted it correctly.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
OP
OP
Rapido925M
Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
I can appreciate the concept of relaxing and enjoying a few beers.
But the unnecessary cost of £260 equates to quite a few beers!

I think that they should repay me (but I don't want them to replace the old one "free of charge" in return). ;)

Gordon

Jan 30, 2022
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL
Exp
Since 2010
Twenty year old fridge, I wish mine was only 20 years old, add another ten

OP
OP
Rapido925M
Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
I opened the fridge to check that it was getting cold on gas: it was.

HOWEVER, the 4 screw caps, which plug into holes in the wall, were lying in one of the door trays and one of the shelf retaining bars was loose because the plastic support was lying in the salad tray. On one shelf were two plastic bars, which I am informed fit onto the front of the cooling fins. There was also a screwdriver (not belonging to me) lying in plain sight.

I contacted the service department saying that this was yet another example of sloppy workmanship, bearing in mind all my previous examples. I received a reply to say that this was merely a result of small errors and oversights and the team have the full confidence of the manager. What do you think?

Probably not worth making a fuss about BUT does that reflect "a full, top quality service"?

Gordon

OP
OP
Rapido925M
Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
I had a 30minute chat with the owner yesterday and he agreed to have his chief technician service the van again, then he will personally check it. The original service was done by an apprentice: as a teacher I know that everyone has to start somewhere.

My son said hopefully they don't find anything that needs replacing at a cost of £5k! :rolleyes:

Gordon

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I opened the fridge to check that it was getting cold on gas: it was.

HOWEVER, the 4 screw caps, which plug into holes in the wall, were lying in one of the door trays and one of the shelf retaining bars was loose because the plastic support was lying in the salad tray. On one shelf were two plastic bars, which I am informed fit onto the front of the cooling fins. There was also a screwdriver (not belonging to me) lying in plain sight.

I contacted the service department saying that this was yet another example of sloppy workmanship, bearing in mind all my previous examples. I received a reply to say that this was merely a result of small errors and oversights and the team have the full confidence of the manager. What do you think?

Probably not worth making a fuss about BUT does that reflect "a full, top quality service"?

Gordon
It could be worse we had a friend who had his glider inspected for its c of a and after he had it back found a set of box spanners under the seat where all the control rods meet. He kept them and never let the same bloke near his glider again!

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
I had a 30minute chat with the owner yesterday and he agreed to have his chief technician service the van again, then he will personally check it. The original service was done by an apprentice: as a teacher I know that everyone has to start somewhere.

My son said hopefully they don't find anything that needs replacing at a cost of £5k! :rolleyes:

Gordon

Which is fine, but as Mrs DDJC recently explained to me that when she gets her hair done, if she books the Hair Director (really), he costs about one fifty. If it's a hair technician, then about a oner. However if she lets the apprentice at it, it costs five bob and a pickled egg. Perhaps you should explain that principle to your servicer? Then you have the option of choice, depending on cost. Definitely working -v- probably working -v- might work for a week or so, as long as you don't expect too much.

Taking tongue out of cheek, I would be bloody livid if the bloke doing gas and electrical fitting on my bus was an unsupervised apprentice. I would lambast them publicly, including this forum and never use them again.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Which is fine, but as Mrs DDJC recently explained to me that when she gets her hair done, if she books the Hair Director (really), he costs about one fifty. If it's a hair technician, then about a oner. However if she lets the apprentice at it, it costs five bob and a pickled egg. Perhaps you should explain that principle to your servicer? Then you have the option of choice, depending on cost. Definitely working -v- probably working -v- might work for a week or so, as long as you don't expect too much.

Taking tongue out of cheek, I would be bloody livid if the bloke doing gas and electrical fitting on my bus was an unsupervised apprentice. I would lambast them publicly, including this forum and never use them again.
I think it depends on the stage the apprentice is at in their training. But if they're leaving stuff like that there's plainly something wrong.

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
I think it depends on the stage the apprentice is at in their training.
No. Don't agree.
Our motorhomes are huge parts of our lives. For many of us, our second biggest investment. And they are extremely complex bits of kit.

If that apprentice isn't being watched like a hawk by someone who knows exactly what they are doing, then I don't want him in the same parish as my bus.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back