Should I pay this charge? (1 Viewer)

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
eddievanbitz has said that “sh!t happens” when folk work on your MH and you just need to suck it up. Three weeks ago I put my20y old van in for a hab service but I’m not impressed with the outcome. My fridge worked OK but I asked for it to be removed and totally overhauled. When I got it back the paperwork said everything was fine, but when I tried to light the gas nothing happened. I couldn’t push the pilot lighting knob in and it was actually off-centre in its housing. I took it back to be rectified and, after “investigation”, I was told that the technician thought it was faulty when he worked on it previously. A new valve is needed.

After some “discussion” it was agreed that I didn’t need to pay £37 for the investigative work, which appeared on the invoice. Today I’ve been quoted £150 for labour to fit a new valve (cost £260). I think that the fridge should not have been reconnected to the gas supply if it was faulty and also that the paperwork should have reflected the problem. Alternatively the fridge valve was OK until the technician refitted it and damaged it in the process. I’m about to argue that taking the fridge out should be deducted from the labour charge: what do you think?

Obviously I can’t prove that the technician was responsible for the problem. However, he failed to notice that one of the locker doors couldn’t be opened, that one locker door wasn’t supported by its strut (not a problem when I took it in: “sh!t happens”?). He also failed to replace the black plastic dust cap on the gas test point, marked the water supply to the toilet as “fail” because he assumed it wasn’t fed from the main tank and told me (incorrectly) that the Truma heater needed to have water in it for the space heating to work. When I collected the van this time I smelled gas in the gas locker: he told me that was to be expected (I don’t think so!). It transpired that the fridge knob was stuck in and gas was coming from the pilot jet in sufficient quantity to swamp the van and be picked up outside at the gas locker.

How strongly should I contest the £150 labour charge?

Gordon

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Would I be correct in saying you took it to vanbitz.

If not above have you asked the place you took it to to rectify the problems etc.

Did you do a walk through prior to the work being done.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
I would point out to the repair company that the fridge was working correctly before you requested the overhaul and that after it was not working correctly. You therefore expect that any subsequent rectification work ,including the replacement of the valve should be to thier account.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Would I be correct in saying you took it to vanbitz.

If not above have you asked the place you took it to to rectify the problems etc.

Did you do a walk through prior to the work being done.
I don't think the op said it was Eddie ,he was saying that Eddie had advised "shit happens" when people work on your van and to some degree have to accept that

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I don't think the op said it was Eddie ,he was saying that Eddie had advised "shit happens" when people work on your van and to some degree have to accept that

I did wonder.

When you work as a service trade things can and often do go wrong.

It’s how you react and deal with it as a provider tells your metal.

Good luck

Reactions: f6c

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Ive had a hab service done once ...combined with an engine service , quoted £500 all in but by the time the cowboy had broke a few items i was held to ransom for just under £1100 .

As such i wouldn't now let any alleged technician near my van for a hab check.
And I'm wary about who i let near them on the mechanical side too. It seems things just break while they have them and of course they are never at fault.

And these are things we apparently do for peace of mind.

sonar

Free Member
Dec 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
I can fully understand items breaking and need to be replaced on older motor homes ours is 19 years old and one would be supprized what had to be replaced one you touched one think either another needed replacing or fell to bits.
but I would have expected a few phone calls keeping one informed though.

OP
OP
Rapido925M
Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
I get the impression that everyone feels the same as I do: there is a degree of incompetence here and the "service" has left a bit to be desired.
HOWEVER, the fridge is 20y old and getting spares might be a problem. In theory, they know what is needed and if they get the wrong bit then they can't really charge me for doing the job more than once. My question is, should I get a discount from their predicted labour estimate (2 hours).
They have asked me to pay for the items in advance as it's a "special order" and I guess that the "no refund" clause would apply unless they make the mistake. If I do that then I would also be accepting their labour quote. I shall be writing to clarify the situation before agreeing to it.

I say "in theory" that they should know what to get but todays quote includes two new struts for the locker: it only has ONE! I've already ordered a replacement from SGS for £10 less per item than they wanted and I've removed the original in 2 minutes: they reckon 15 minutes to remove and replace. That MAY involve time for the van to drive into the workshop, the techie to find the correct tools (a pair of thin nosed pliers) and to sanitize his hands before and after handling equipment, etc. Alternatively, it may be a "minimum" allocated time per job and I MIGHT get charged the actual time after it is completed.

Gordon

Obviously I'm not going to name names at this stage BUT I can assure everyone that it wasn't eddievanbitz ;)

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
when a so called expert messed mine up luckily when I took it back to discuss the matter , when he eventually came out of hiding under a caravan saying to his mate tell her I'm not here, he made the mistake of in anger telling me he could do without the hassle as CCC were coming to recertify him that day.

BINGO , I explained that I could not wait to see them and have a chat and show them the mess he had made. He then tried to say he did not know when but it was that week they were visiting , my response I have a bed in the van not a problem. I'll wait.

With this he decided a full refund was could be made available if I left.

took the cash and got out of there

OP
OP
Rapido925M
Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
At the prices your quoting id be tempted to remove the fridge and fit a new one
I checked as soon as I saw the problem: £1400 for a new one (plus fitting, of course).
Presumably it would take less time to fit a new one than to take the fridge out, remove the valve then refit everything (2 hours by their reckoning).
Arguably there would be bits I could sell secondhand to recoup a little, but would you buy 20y old bits?

Gordon

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
They very obviously don’t know what they are doing. Claim for the work done on the fridge and then go elsewhere.

Who did it?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
My question is, should I get a discount from their predicted labour estimate (2 hours).
They have asked me to pay for the items in advance as it's a "special order" and I guess that the "no refund" clause would apply unless they make the mistake. If I do that then I would also be accepting their labour quote. I shall be writing to clarify the situation before agreeing to it.
As said I would point out it worked perfectly when it went in & additionally wasn't leaking gas. They only want you to pay up front as they probably realise if they do manage to rectify there own incompetence you are likely not to pay. Me? I'd remove the fridge myself & throw it through the office window:mad:
when he eventually came out of hiding under a caravan saying to his mate tell her I'm not here,
You missed the opportunity to stamp on his gonads & enlighten him when he fractured his skull on the chassis.(y)

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
If all what you say is true then they sound a bit amatuer to me

Popty

Free Member
Aug 22, 2020
Oxfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
American RV,
Exp
Since 2018
Reading this thread, it seems to me that there are many "cowboys" out there just trying making a quick buck, should they not be " named and shamed" so others funsters can ovoid them like the plague ???

And on the flip side any good ones should be named to make them more profitable.

Do technicians that work on gas fridges not have to be gas safe registered, l would not let anyone work on my gas appliances if they are not gas safe, your a long time dead

NicM

Free Member
Oct 6, 2021
UK
Funster No
MH
Old Hymer
Exp
Yes, but who did the work? Name the names, there are other funsters who might just be considering the same firm and might appreciate a heads up?
Just remember there is always two sides to a story, not saying the OP is lying, but you can't just go naming names without the right to reply.

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
Just remember there is always two sides to a story, not saying the OP is lying, but you can't just go naming names without the right to reply.
Very true and personally I wouldn't judge a business of any kind on the basis of a single "review" good or bad but it is handy to have a pointer to encourage you to do more research.

Nov 20, 2017
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
Since 2015
Well it easy to criticise and sure enough on older appliances and equipment things can happen!but I can’t help thinking these businesses don’t help themselves, the OP said that the technician had previous dealings with the appliance and noted a problem but failed to relay that finding at that time to the OP.It’s only since this current episode he’s admitted any previous knowledge of the issue.
Not sure what that says?

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
I've never had a bad service or hab check.

One of the joys of MHF is the weight of experience and knowledge. Add to that the power of the purchaser. If I was in the business, I would not want to pee off the thousands of customers who follow user experiences on Fun.

Notwithstanding that, they might be a brilliant operator who had one bad day.

So either to support or slate, I would want to know the operator who broke your fridge. No idea how, as it would be awkward to publicly identify them.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Can see where you are coming from but really think you need to review your opening post, I have read through and know otherwise, but anyone reading just your post could well deduce that it is eddievanbitz who is the faulty person.

Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
?
Can see where you are coming from but really think you need to review your opening post, I have read through and know otherwise, but anyone reading just your post could well deduce that it is eddievanbitz who is the faulty person.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back