Selling? Then declutter! And use the drill wisely...

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by ericonabike, Mar 1, 2013.

1. ericonabike

ericonabike Read Only Funster

We're back in the motorhome hunt again as we seek out a van that's as good as our Starburst, but with a fixed bed. Saw three today - all Autocruise again, two Starblazers and a Starseeker. The Starseeker had just come in at the dealer's and had yet to be valeted. It was lovely, but everything that the previous owner had done to 'onprove' it put us off it! Cheap little shelves tacked into the overhead lockers, a TV screwed to the [for us] totally wrong wall, with leads going into the open door of the overhead locker, a four gang socket extension screwed to the underseat locker... the list went on! Basically we'd want to take out and put right [in our eyes] everything the previous owner had done to it, which could well result in no sale.

The last van we saw was a private sale. We'd arranged a time to view, and it was over 50 miles away. Again,the van looked sound, but this time it was full of the owner's stuff! Not just crockery and cutlery, but every locker was stuffed full of clothes and personal belongings. It made it really difficult to assess the thing properly, and we both found it off-putting. Again, not necessarily a dealbreaker, but I can't understand why, if he wanted to sell, he'd not gone all out to make it as presentable as possible. We all want to step into a van and go 'wow'. Don't we?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Just a personal view..

I did not buy the van as an investment... I bought OUR van to use the way WE want it...
    There is a saying that a vehicle is just rented from the dealer until you make it your own... Make it the way you want it..
    If I was to worry about the next owner .. Well I simply do not even see the point of owning a motorhome.. Might as well rent one when we wanna use it...

Ok, when we do eventually sell, the tv and fixing bracket will come out as will all our other odds and sods...

Soooooo... I think the message would be better put thus.......

If you want to add something or modify something, do it in a 'sympathetic' way.. In a way that once the widget or whatever is removed there will be no ( or virtually no ) evidence of the mod

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
    • Like Like x 6
  3. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

4. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Totally agree, anyone who knows me will recall that I do mods to my vehicles but always ensure that they are done well and are either totally removable or 'affect' the vehicle as little as possible. :Smile: Nothing worse than 'inheriting' someone else's bodge! :shout:

5. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

Ours too had previous! Just the van we wanted but double gang white plastic surface mounted sockets stood out, literally, like a sore thumb. I replaced those with flush black/brushed silver sockets that almost matched the few originals. I added shelves to the cupboards and one or two under them with decor matching mdf from O'Leary's. Suits us and wouldn't deter any would be buyer in future.

6. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

Motorhome/Caravan/RV/5th wheel..........

If we have ever added any thing it has always been sympathetically put in, ie wires hidden etc...

Any thing we have wanted to add ourselves, if I could not put in neat and tidy,,,,we get a professional to do it...

And when we have sold............... "We have left those things in"....:thumb:

Nothing more off putting to a buyer to see loads of little holes.... where hooks/shelves/Speakers/Tidy bins have been and gapping great holes...:Blush::Angry:

We have always put all personel small stuff in card board boxes and taken out prior to a visit to a dealer or if a private viewing was due...

And for what the extra`s cost is it worth losing a sale because of an untidy vehicle and the aftermath of removing said items... ?:Nowink::Nowink:

I dont think so..... chances are that what you take out wont fit in your replacement vehicle... :RollEyes::Doh::Sad:

7. busby

busby Funster

Hi,what value and year is your Starburst? Best van i ever had. Some stupid German wrote it off for me in 2009. Had only owned it four weeks. BUSBY.

8. ericonabike

ericonabike Read Only Funster

Agree re making your van your own, but if you can do that whilst still making it possible to go back as near as poss to original condition, should make any future purchaser happy as well. Maybe we've been spoilt - our Starburst had been so well cared for that it was like walking into a new van. Busby - it's 2006 [pre Swift] and is gorgeous! The only reason for wanting to change is the faff of making and unmaking the bed each day.

9. busby

busby Funster

Mine was a 2005. Looking for new van but i think yours would be a touch over my budget. Good luck. Busby.

10. busby

busby Funster

11. robnchris

robnchris Funster

presentable motorhome

We undestand were "Ericonabike" is coming from with this this, we drove up to Preston from Chester to Cambells to look at a motorhome.
    They have a brand new site there, ok the showroom and buildings aren`t finished by a long way that didn`t matter.
    On being shown the motorhome we were amazed that it was filthy, not just the floor but the seats and interior in general, we looked in quiet a few others and they were all the same.
    First thoughts were how did they get in such a filthy state, plus broken and damaged worktops, doors etc etc, surely the previous owners didn`t use them in this condition, yet the salesman has the nerve to ask us if we had a pet dog in ours as that would drop the price he offered.:Doh:

Ok I can understand they don`t valet them as viewing pubic will just mess them up and the job will need doing twice, (hard Times) but the dreadful state of the motorhomes certainly put us off buying any of the ones viewed from them.