Selling? Then declutter! And use the drill wisely... (1 Viewer)

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
We're back in the motorhome hunt again as we seek out a van that's as good as our Starburst, but with a fixed bed. Saw three today - all Autocruise again, two Starblazers and a Starseeker. The Starseeker had just come in at the dealer's and had yet to be valeted. It was lovely, but everything that the previous owner had done to 'onprove' it put us off it! Cheap little shelves tacked into the overhead lockers, a TV screwed to the [for us] totally wrong wall, with leads going into the open door of the overhead locker, a four gang socket extension screwed to the underseat locker... the list went on! Basically we'd want to take out and put right [in our eyes] everything the previous owner had done to it, which could well result in no sale.

The last van we saw was a private sale. We'd arranged a time to view, and it was over 50 miles away. Again,the van looked sound, but this time it was full of the owner's stuff! Not just crockery and cutlery, but every locker was stuffed full of clothes and personal belongings. It made it really difficult to assess the thing properly, and we both found it off-putting. Again, not necessarily a dealbreaker, but I can't understand why, if he wanted to sell, he'd not gone all out to make it as presentable as possible. We all want to step into a van and go 'wow'. Don't we?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Just a personal view..

I did not buy the van as an investment... I bought OUR van to use the way WE want it...
There is a saying that a vehicle is just rented from the dealer until you make it your own... Make it the way you want it..
If I was to worry about the next owner .. Well I simply do not even see the point of owning a motorhome.. Might as well rent one when we wanna use it...

Ok, when we do eventually sell, the tv and fixing bracket will come out as will all our other odds and sods...

Soooooo... I think the message would be better put thus.......

If you want to add something or modify something, do it in a 'sympathetic' way.. In a way that once the widget or whatever is removed there will be no ( or virtually no ) evidence of the mod

Last edited:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just a personal view..

If you want to add something or modify something, do it in a 'sympathetic' way.. In a way that once the widget or whatever is removed there will be no ( or virtually no ) evidence of the mod
Totally agree, anyone who knows me will recall that I do mods to my vehicles but always ensure that they are done well and are either totally removable or 'affect' the vehicle as little as possible. :Smile: Nothing worse than 'inheriting' someone else's bodge! :shout:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Ours too had previous! Just the van we wanted but double gang white plastic surface mounted sockets stood out, literally, like a sore thumb. I replaced those with flush black/brushed silver sockets that almost matched the few originals. I added shelves to the cupboards and one or two under them with decor matching mdf from O'Leary's. Suits us and wouldn't deter any would be buyer in future.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Motorhome/Caravan/RV/5th wheel..........

If we have ever added any thing it has always been sympathetically put in, ie wires hidden etc...

Any thing we have wanted to add ourselves, if I could not put in neat and tidy,,,,we get a professional to do it...

And when we have sold............... "We have left those things in"....:thumb:

Nothing more off putting to a buyer to see loads of little holes.... where hooks/shelves/Speakers/Tidy bins have been and gapping great holes...:Blush::Angry:

We have always put all personel small stuff in card board boxes and taken out prior to a visit to a dealer or if a private viewing was due...

And for what the extra`s cost is it worth losing a sale because of an untidy vehicle and the aftermath of removing said items... ?:Nowink::Nowink:

I dont think so..... chances are that what you take out wont fit in your replacement vehicle... :RollEyes::Doh::Sad:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Hi,what value and year is your Starburst? Best van i ever had. Some stupid German wrote it off for me in 2009. Had only owned it four weeks. BUSBY.

OP
OP
E
Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Agree re making your van your own, but if you can do that whilst still making it possible to go back as near as poss to original condition, should make any future purchaser happy as well. Maybe we've been spoilt - our Starburst had been so well cared for that it was like walking into a new van. Busby - it's 2006 [pre Swift] and is gorgeous! The only reason for wanting to change is the faff of making and unmaking the bed each day.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Mine was a 2005. Looking for new van but i think yours would be a touch over my budget. Good luck. Busby.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
presentable motorhome

We undestand were "Ericonabike" is coming from with this this, we drove up to Preston from Chester to Cambells to look at a motorhome.
They have a brand new site there, ok the showroom and buildings aren`t finished by a long way that didn`t matter.
On being shown the motorhome we were amazed that it was filthy, not just the floor but the seats and interior in general, we looked in quiet a few others and they were all the same.
First thoughts were how did they get in such a filthy state, plus broken and damaged worktops, doors etc etc, surely the previous owners didn`t use them in this condition, yet the salesman has the nerve to ask us if we had a pet dog in ours as that would drop the price he offered.:Doh:

Ok I can understand they don`t valet them as viewing pubic will just mess them up and the job will need doing twice, (hard Times) but the dreadful state of the motorhomes certainly put us off buying any of the ones viewed from them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back