Sell Privately or Part Exchange

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Jim, May 8, 2010.

1. Jim

Jim Ringleader

I would like to know of any funsters experiences when buying. In your experience when buying from a dealer, do you sell privatley and buy for cash from the dealer, or have you have you had better deals with a part exchange price?

Thanks in anticipation

2. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

I have done both,, looking back I think I got a better deal selling privately and going with cash,, think it depends on time of year to a point and how many unit`s the dealer has sold.

3. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

I have always sold privately and gone through the door as a cash buyer.....

4. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

Hi Jim,
    IME of dealing with both dealers and private buying, I always believe this is the answer if you want to ensure the best deal.
    See a van you want, Go and look at it, get the dealer believing you are going to be doing a deal and not just kicking the tyres, How? speak to him, he isn't a mind reader.

Then ask how much he will give for a px. When he tells you, fall off your seat with laughter and say "shame that you really fancied doing a deal" then of course it will be "hold on I will chat with my manager bla bla bla and if by magic your van is now given a £1000 more.

Then take the risk. You now know how much the dealer is going to give you for your van. Take it away, and advertise it on web sites, as many as you can for as little as you can, there's even one called MHfun that aint too bad :Wink:. Clean your van and make it saleable. But remember, what ever the dealer has told you he will give you, it will always be put up for much more on his forecourt, so any potential buyer of yours is already on a bargain.
    A sort of rule of thumb, if the dealer was offering 20k px value, If you put it up for 22k ono and some charlie comes round and knocks a 1k off you, he thinks he is screwing you and getting a great deal, but in reality your going back to the dealer with 1k more than you were before. (of course figures being used for illistration purpose only) Or alternately, you sell and buy privately and win win, saving on the dealer price and selling yours privately making more, (this is what i chose with my last purchase)

Alternately, pay the extra from a dealer, securing the best price possible and removing all the hassle of doing a sale, but look at my example of my purchase.

Dealer price of wanted van, £29995
    offered for mine as Px £13000

Sold my van privately £17k
    Bought the same van in better nick less miles, and loads more extras, £23k

so this highlights, it would of cost me £16995 to change at a dealer,
    It cost me 6k to do it privately and I got more for my money and a better van,

well worth it in my opinion, 10k is a massive saving
    , :thumb:

5. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi Jim always bought and sold privately-- not got enough money to give any to a dealer :Rofl1::thumb: your had anything like a bargain offered by dealer
    terry

6. neilmac

neilmac Read Only Funster

Great example and well explained :thumb:

7. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

We bought our RV from a dealer against a trade in of our previous RV, we got a good price for ours and no need for test drives , job done easily . There is no time lag of being without which generally happens when selling privately, you also eliminate time wasters.
    We are at present trading in again for a newbie and will post how things go. ( due in june )

8. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

Sell privately and buy with cash.

Any deal a dealer does is in his profit area so he could knock that chunk off for cash so cash is the best deal.

9. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Not neccesarily so, cash is not king. A good p/x gives a dealer something to 'go again' with and finance brings commission.

Obviously anyone selling privately with no come back and again buying privately i.e trade, the cost to change will be lower.

Peter

10. neilmac

neilmac Read Only Funster

Especially when good stock is hard to find

11. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

Unscrupulous dealers (not John cross of course) are not so honest and most make you feel as its a miraculous your current motor home has ever been bought and used, blimey mate you drove that here:Wink:

12. bazfergy

bazfergy Read Only Funster

In the process just now jim,after trade in quotes i will definitely be selling privately and buying privately as well probably:thumb:

13. keith

keith Funster

When we wanted to change our RV we first chose our next/present MH & the dealer didn't want to PX, (didn't fit on his forecourt :Rofl1:) but he asked another dealer & was given a very low amount,

We then decided to put the RV on ebay & found a buyer who paid £8000 more than the PX price, and we got £2500 off the pruchase price of the new one. :BigGrin:

The only downside was the loss on the RV as we only had it 12 months - but that's another story.

So in our case you may say we had no option, but I still would always try to sell before accepting a PX deal but it may not always be possible due to time scales. We were fortunate that the dealer gave us the time to sell the RV although did pressure us as time went by.

14. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

And thats the best way to get a prospective customer to drive off in disgust!

Peter

15. Brian and Jo

Brian and Jo Funster Life Member

selling

hi guys,we have always bought and sold through a dealer.trying to move an RV privately in todays climate is very difficult.i know you dont get as much off the dealer but it is up to you to hammer out the best deal you can on the one you are buying:Wink:ive been in the motor trade for about 36yrs so i know how they operate and what they expect,but they are not all bad:Wink:also if its a reputable dealer you will get a 12months warranty which could be worth a lot:thumb:as for cash peter is right not all companies prefer cash,i know in my business i prefer payment on cards.but those are only my opinions. regards brian jo & josh:thumb:

16. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

Definitely sell privately xxxxxx

17. gixermark

gixermark Read Only Funster

Dealer for us !

Just PX'ed last week our Autotrail Arapaho for an 08 Kontiki 669 ( loverly van ! :Wink: ) and actualy made money on our px !!!!! We did buy the Arapaho at a resonable price 12 mnths ago and have done a few 'added-extra's' to it but even so, the dealer gave a price over the phone and stuck to it on collection day ....:thumb:.

The missus, my boy, my black Lab and myself are well chuffed ...........:BigGrin:

18. White Rose

White Rose Read Only Funster

Hey Gixer - did you ever name your dealer? You were going to identify them if they turned out to be good uns?

19. gixermark

gixermark Read Only Funster

White Rose
    Just waiting on the passenger mirror being changed ( they 'forgot' to do it ! ) but apart from this, I have been overall impressed with the way the dealer has dealt with the deal + the after sale.
    I will name them once all work has been carried out .....