Sell Privately or Part Exchange (1 Viewer)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I would like to know of any funsters experiences when buying. In your experience when buying from a dealer, do you sell privatley and buy for cash from the dealer, or have you have you had better deals with a part exchange price?

Thanks in anticipation

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
I would like to know of any funsters experiences when buying. In your experience when buying from a dealer, do you sell privatley and buy for cash from the dealer, or have you have you had better deals with a part exchange price?

Thanks in anticipation

I have done both,, looking back I think I got a better deal selling privately and going with cash,, think it depends on time of year to a point and how many unit`s the dealer has sold.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I have always sold privately and gone through the door as a cash buyer.....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Hi Jim,
IME of dealing with both dealers and private buying, I always believe this is the answer if you want to ensure the best deal.
See a van you want, Go and look at it, get the dealer believing you are going to be doing a deal and not just kicking the tyres, How? speak to him, he isn't a mind reader.

Then ask how much he will give for a px. When he tells you, fall off your seat with laughter and say "shame that you really fancied doing a deal" then of course it will be "hold on I will chat with my manager bla bla bla and if by magic your van is now given a £1000 more.

Then take the risk. You now know how much the dealer is going to give you for your van. Take it away, and advertise it on web sites, as many as you can for as little as you can, there's even one called MHfun that aint too bad :winky:. Clean your van and make it saleable. But remember, what ever the dealer has told you he will give you, it will always be put up for much more on his forecourt, so any potential buyer of yours is already on a bargain.
A sort of rule of thumb, if the dealer was offering 20k px value, If you put it up for 22k ono and some charlie comes round and knocks a 1k off you, he thinks he is screwing you and getting a great deal, but in reality your going back to the dealer with 1k more than you were before. (of course figures being used for illistration purpose only) Or alternately, you sell and buy privately and win win, saving on the dealer price and selling yours privately making more, (this is what i chose with my last purchase)

Alternately, pay the extra from a dealer, securing the best price possible and removing all the hassle of doing a sale, but look at my example of my purchase.

Dealer price of wanted van, £29995
offered for mine as Px £13000

Sold my van privately £17k
Bought the same van in better nick less miles, and loads more extras, £23k

so this highlights, it would of cost me £16995 to change at a dealer,
It cost me 6k to do it privately and I got more for my money and a better van,

well worth it in my opinion, 10k is a massive saving
, :thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Jim always bought and sold privately-- not got enough money to give any to a dealer :ROFLMAO::thumb: your had anything like a bargain offered by dealer
terry

neilmac

Free Member
Nov 24, 2008
UK, France & Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2nd year
.....look at my example of my purchase.

Dealer price of wanted van, £29995
offered for mine as Px £13000

Sold my van privately £17k
Bought the same van in better nick less miles, and loads more extras, £23k

so this highlights, it would of cost me £16995 to change at a dealer,
It cost me 6k to do it privately and I got more for my money and a better van,

well worth it in my opinion, 10k is a massive saving
, :thumb:

Great example and well explained :thumb:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We bought our RV from a dealer against a trade in of our previous RV, we got a good price for ours and no need for test drives , job done easily . There is no time lag of being without which generally happens when selling privately, you also eliminate time wasters.
We are at present trading in again for a newbie and will post how things go. ( due in june )

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Sell privately and buy with cash.

Any deal a dealer does is in his profit area so he could knock that chunk off for cash so cash is the best deal.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Sell privately and buy with cash.

Any deal a dealer does is in his profit area so he could knock that chunk off for cash so cash is the best deal.

Not neccesarily so, cash is not king. A good p/x gives a dealer something to 'go again' with and finance brings commission.

Obviously anyone selling privately with no come back and again buying privately i.e trade, the cost to change will be lower.

Peter

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Not neccesarily so, cash is not king. A good p/x gives a dealer something to 'go again' with and finance brings commission.

Obviously anyone selling privately with no come back and again buying privately i.e trade, the cost to change will be lower.

Peter

Unscrupulous dealers (not John cross of course) are not so honest and most make you feel as its a miraculous your current motor home has ever been bought and used, blimey mate you drove that here:winky:

bazfergy

Free Member
Apr 20, 2009
dumfries scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years
In the process just now jim,after trade in quotes i will definitely be selling privately and buying privately as well probably:thumb:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
When we wanted to change our RV we first chose our next/present MH & the dealer didn't want to PX, (didn't fit on his forecourt :ROFLMAO:) but he asked another dealer & was given a very low amount,

We then decided to put the RV on ebay & found a buyer who paid £8000 more than the PX price, and we got £2500 off the pruchase price of the new one. ::bigsmile:

The only downside was the loss on the RV as we only had it 12 months - but that's another story.

So in our case you may say we had no option, but I still would always try to sell before accepting a PX deal but it may not always be possible due to time scales. We were fortunate that the dealer gave us the time to sell the RV although did pressure us as time went by.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Unscrupulous dealers (not John cross of course) are not so honest and most make you feel as its a miraculous your current motor home has ever been bought and used, blimey mate you drove that here:winky:

And thats the best way to get a prospective customer to drive off in disgust!

Peter

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
selling

hi guys,we have always bought and sold through a dealer.trying to move an RV privately in todays climate is very difficult.i know you dont get as much off the dealer but it is up to you to hammer out the best deal you can on the one you are buying:winky:ive been in the motor trade for about 36yrs so i know how they operate and what they expect,but they are not all bad:winky:also if its a reputable dealer you will get a 12months warranty which could be worth a lot:thumb:as for cash peter is right not all companies prefer cash,i know in my business i prefer payment on cards.but those are only my opinions. regards brian jo & josh:thumb:

gixermark

Free Member
Sep 8, 2009
Hereford
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
2 years ! Ex "Tugger" of 7 years + !!
Dealer for us !

Just PX'ed last week our Autotrail Arapaho for an 08 Kontiki 669 ( loverly van ! :winky: ) and actualy made money on our px !!!!! We did buy the Arapaho at a resonable price 12 mnths ago and have done a few 'added-extra's' to it but even so, the dealer gave a price over the phone and stuck to it on collection day ....:thumb:.

The missus, my boy, my black Lab and myself are well chuffed ...........::bigsmile:

White Rose

Free Member
Oct 14, 2009
West Yorks
Funster No
Dealer for us !

Just PX'ed last week our Autotrail Arapaho for an 08 Kontiki 669 ( loverly van ! :winky: ) and actualy made money on our px !!!!! We did buy the Arapaho at a resonable price 12 mnths ago and have done a few 'added-extra's' to it but even so, the dealer gave a price over the phone and stuck to it on collection day ....:thumb:.

The missus, my boy, my black Lab and myself are well chuffed ...........::bigsmile:

Hey Gixer - did you ever name your dealer? You were going to identify them if they turned out to be good uns?

gixermark

Free Member
Sep 8, 2009
Hereford
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
2 years ! Ex "Tugger" of 7 years + !!
White Rose
Just waiting on the passenger mirror being changed ( they 'forgot' to do it ! ) but apart from this, I have been overall impressed with the way the dealer has dealt with the deal + the after sale.
I will name them once all work has been carried out .....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back