Sea Fishing.

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by Snowbird, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

I don't know if we have an active fishing club on fun, but am off down to Dorset tomorrow to collect a new to me small fishing boat. Its an Island Plastics which is fully geared up with fish finder, two engines etc, and my intentions are to tow it with the camper. If any of you seasoned fishermen know of any good fishing grounds and would like to share the boats fuel costs on a days fishing maybe we can get a mini meet together sometime. Just a warm up before Norway next summer.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Rayb182

Rayb182 Funster Life Member

Best place I know is the Lochs on the west coast of Scotland with plenty of fish, and a lot of places to plot up, like Port Avardie on Loch Fynne or Loch Riddon, all these places have places where to launch a boat, we went there earlier on in the year and the fish could'nt wait to jump on our hooks.:thumb:

3. aba

aba

done a spot of beach casting and caught a few dabs and eels never really thought of going further out though and haven't been fishing in years.

though saw these at the birmingham show and thought what a novel idea.

http://boatbox.co.uk/

• Like Like x 1
  4. Snowbird

Thats a good idea, am not so sure I would like to go very far out in it though or catch anything of any size. Am really quite a novice as have only ever sea fished in Norway. I have a beachcaster but have never used it as I wouldn't know how. I did used to fly fish and am not what you would call a fisherman as I only fish for what I can eat.

• Like Like x 1
  5. freelanderuk

freelanderuk Read Only Funster

this time of year the humber mouth is stuffed full of fish , our boat club slip way is out of action at the moment because of sea defence work, this is the website i run for the club http://www.saltfleethaven.co.uk/

6. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

I would be up for a trip in the UK,

7. Snowbird

Good man Dave. We will have to sort something out soon, as I want to try the thing out before the winter sets in and I set off.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Snowbird

Well thats the boat collected and after spending a few days with Wildman at The Lazy Buzzard in Devon am now ready for the drive home. Many thanks to Roger for his help and expertise sorting the trailer of which am very grateful. I just wish the weather had been kinder so we could have had sea trials. Ah well roll on next summer and Norway.

• Like Like x 3
  9. beerdrinker1

beerdrinker1 Funster

Any time you are planning trip to Scotland, i would love to join up with you, share costs,laughs and fun, years since i was fishing from boat but remember it was great, and eating fish you pulled out of the water yourself mmmm extra special
    Ken :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Snowbird

Thats a great location your in there. Will do my best to take you up on that offer next summer.

11. Leftlegger

Leftlegger Funster

dont know if you can still launch a boat from balmaha,we camped on inchcailloch back in the day,limited in numbers for that,took a 12 foot cathedral hull on the roof rack,on the way back down we camped near inverary launched the boat there and got plenty of mackeral in the loch,very deep even with 100yards out we never touched the bottom,a bit eerie when a periscope passes you by looking in your direction,all we could do was wave.....
    If you,re ever down Plymouth then i would be tempted.Tight lines .pete

12. thehutchies

thehutchies Funster

Over the last month at Burnham-on-Sea, our kids have been learning how to use a certain beachcasting rod we bought at the Bring & Buy meet :BigGrin:

:thumb:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  13. Snowbird

Glad they are getting the use from them :thumb: Have they caught anything yet?

14. thehutchies

thehutchies Funster

Just practising casting, really, as far as the beach goes - drowning worms. We did catch a brown trout and a perch on the river Yeo,though, with the beachcaster. :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  15. jollyrodger

jollyrodger Funster Life Member

mackerel

mackerel :thumb:Remember em well we used to have lots of em down in Plymouth then all the jocks came down and sucked em up :cry:ttfn n tight lines

• Like Like x 1
  16. Phill D

Phill D

Parted company with my 4m dory style gull wing hull last october. Could get out enough and motorhome as it needed 2 to launch. Some great places on the Gower and west Wales and you dont need to be far out. Did the powerboat level 2 RYC Cert a while back and that really made me confident handling the boat and getting about inshore.

Oxwich bay is great in spring, typical day would be 5 to 7 different species including bass and even rays. Launch off the beach or there are some public slipways around that part of the coast.

" thight lines " as they say. :thumb: