Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Ooo errr Matron!

(Sorry) (y)

When we get our new PVC there will undoubtedly be things that we'll want to screw to the walls - I'm thinking Fire alarm/blanket/extinguisher, holders for stuff, brackets etc. and I was wondering, as we'll almost certainly pick all the wrong places first time, whether there's any fancy substitute for the good old fashioned screws that can be removed without leaving scars? Blu tack and 3M sticky hooks are unlikely to be heavy enough duty I suspect, I want to be able to hold things weighing 3 or 4 pounds despite going over the local speed humps at normal speed ;)

Thanks

etchacan

Free Member
Mar 6, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
New to motorhomes, 40 years caravanning...
If the van's a' rocking, don't come knocking...

Not really any substitute for screwing into the wall, especially when it comes to securely holding on the heavier items...

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Not so much as we get older, we do like a nice meal though:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Twogirls

Free Member
Mar 21, 2016
ESSEX
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 300
Exp
Since 2014
Screwing in the van has been banned at present by the wife unless in the garage. Extra strong velcro holding up cargo nets has been allowed and appears to keeping it up and there is some weight attached

Sorry.....do you mean your wife has to be in the garage?? And what are the Velcro nets holding up?? I'm fascinated by this thread.....

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
It depends what you're screwing to. If you need to spread the load you can Sikaflex backing plates (wood or stainless) to the wall.

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Depends how they build the van, on my own coversion I have 9mm of plywood on the walls so no problem.

Upvote 0

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
You've gotta be careful of hidden cable runs (like lighting cables run behind. cabinets).

I use a hot glue gun for some stuff (like an extra mains extension socket block or hooks). Sticks like s**t to a blanket! And, you can get it off again with dental floss.

Doubt if that would hold an extinguisher, but it does lighter items a treat.

Watch those darn cables if drilling, or worse, gas and water pipes at a low level!

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I always use a wire/stud detector if not sure of what's behind.
A small pilot hole will give you a clue how thick panelling is so if using screws you can keep the length at the optimum to just pierce through.

Upvote 0
Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
The inside of the PVC should be lined with plywood or similar. Best to ask the converter re thicknesses and lining material used.

When depth is critical, I've drilled a pilot hole (diameter of the core screw thread) and used a grinding wheel to reduce the length of the screw to the desired length.

Upvote 0

cronkle

Free Member
Apr 18, 2008
shropshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since1995
I used these:
Amazon product ASIN B000QTWKNKIf it is to carry something a bit weighty I use them in pairs but I have found that they will hold a damp bath towel with no problems. I've been pleasantly surprised by how they perform as I also wanted to avoid making holes in my van.

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
Stick and stick Velcro is surprisingly strong and you can change your mind later. We use it for fire blanket, mobiles, remotes, sockets, meters etc.

Reactions: Pia
Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Sorry.....do you mean your wife has to be in the garage?? And what are the Velcro nets holding up?? I'm fascinated by this thread.....
The wife has to be present for screwing purposes. Because we have a new van, and i m a man, and i have the tools, I need to screw. She wont let me screw in the habitation part yet. i m sure there will come a time. So as a compromise I have put up extra strong velcro which the cargo nets stick onto. They hold all the maps inside behind both front seats and other things that may be needed whilst driving.
In the garage (or should i call it the dungeon in this thread?) I have been allowed to screw under her supervision. I have screwed bigger stronger cargo nets straight into wooden areas and these hold the cadac, beach mats and collapsible chairs.
Hope that confuses any ambiguity previously caused

Upvote 0

The Mad Jock

Free Member
Dec 29, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Coach build
Exp
Since 2016
I have thought about this many times in the Moho but my wife won't let me screw in it. Sensible really as don't want to create damp patches in holes made by me screwing. Velcro and them sticky hooks is the answer for now.

Upvote 0
May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Good question raised here. I keep meaning to ask what is the situation about screwing into the ceiling, as I am thinking of putting up some sort of curtain rail across the cab (Ducato) on the hab side

Or is it a question of Sikkaflex?

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Good question raised here. I keep meaning to ask what is the situation about screwing into the ceiling, as I am thinking of putting up some sort of curtain rail across the cab (Ducato) on the hab side

Or is it a question of Sikkaflex?

Could try a wall to wall telescopic rail.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We screw in ours, (y)(y) when it gets to a certain age you have to screw where you can, not damaged anything yet:D

Upvote 0

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
spot on with a suitably sized screwhook in the centre, did this in a pvc 2 vans ago across the cab area and across the back doors looked very cosy and it was(y)

Ahhhhhhh, but did you have to screw the screw hook, which you used to support the pole which stopped you having to screw in the first place. :)

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Ahhhhhhh, but did you have to screw the screw hook, which you used to support the pole which stopped you having to screw in the first place. :)

Steady Sooperdooperwinabagelmike , the thought of too much screwing at your tender age could be risky :D

Upvote 0

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
3M hooks which can be removed without a trace for flannels and the like, stick & stick velcro for CO alarm and similar & finally for heavy items like fire extinguisher, wine bottle holder I use T-nuts ....
Link Removed​

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Need to fit some corner steadies and make sure they are down before you start screwing if you don't want your neighbours to know what you are up to.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you get a thick enough pole you don't need to screw it in the centre as it won't flex ... I speak from experience! :D

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back