Scotland the long way up

Discussion in 'UK Touring' started by autoswan, Aug 10, 2016.

1. autoswan

autoswan Funster

We plan to do a bit of UK this year as we don't have as much time as usual.
    Rough guide Swansea to York with a stop on route for a night, anywhere you like ? After York and any good parts in that neck of the woods ?
    Do a loop in and up dodging Newcastle, sunderland and big city parts then back to east coast further up any good spots on way or up there ?
    Over border around to Edinburgh then Stirling and sky if time over roughly 2 week trip then down the west side back homeward bound.

Never done the east side of England so any tips or good spots be appreciated thanks. Jack(y)

2. Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 2
  3. big bertha

big bertha Funster

Lovely sites Northumberland, Beadnell Bay a club site or cl's Annsteed farm, Fowberry farm or try South Meadows in the village of Belford my new home soon.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Viennese

Viennese Funster

Please, all of you, stop saying how lovely it is - it's rubbish up there, we all know that. Think how awful it would be if LOADS of people went there and were disappointed with it...

• Funny Funny x 4
  5. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

From York up A19.
    Nearest you will get to the northeast coastal cities (Sunderland, Newcastle, Gateshead etc) will be the Tyne Tunnel, then divert/wander/explore anywhere from there onwards.
    Tyne Tunnel toll is around £1:30.....or a long way around Newcastle costing much more in fuel.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rapido925M

Rapido925M Funster

It depends what floats your boat: N Yorks moors has excellent steam railway, lovely seaside resorts (inc Scarboro, with marine parade, peasholm park; Whitby; Sandsend; Staithes; (try Skinningrove for "off beaten track?) Saltburn; Redcar (vertical pier?)

Hartlepool marina and historic docks are worth investigating; Crimdon Dene; Blackhall; Seaham are all much improved Durham seasides with easy, free parking.

And why would you not visit Durham City?

We exited Tyne Tunnel and soon turned eastwards to visit Newbiggin by the Sea (free parking by museum) then little coast road from Lynemouth to Cresswell, Amble (lovely Britstop - no 766; park on quayside for good views at 50p per hour), Warkworth castle. Free parking by coast at Beadnell, cheap parking in Seahouses (1st hour free), free parking at Bamburgh (THE best castle in the world?), excellent Britstop (no 768) only a few miles away.

IF you prefer inland activities, don't miss Wallington (Nat Trust), Cragside (Nat Trust), Alnwick Garden (take out fresh mortgage/bank loan?). Or why not experience Kielder Forest (£4.50 for all day parking transferable amongst all carparks)?

Don't forget that Hawick has a free camperstop.

Enjoy - Gordon

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Janine

Janine Funster Life Member

We'll be doing something similar so will watch this thread with interest!

• Like Like x 1
  8. autoswan

autoswan Funster

Hahaha I say the same about my Gower peninsular ! Nothing to see here stay away or you may never want to leave ! :D

9. autoswan

autoswan Funster

Thanks looking at map I saw Newcastle and sunderland and thought congested roads and a maze through the cities but if i can hug the coast and pass them by on the east side will do .
    The tunnel i assume is plenty high enough for mh and lorries so sounds good and saving juice is always welcome. (n)

10. autoswan

autoswan Funster

Thanks for the info great stuff. I never thought of Durham but if it along the route and time allows it sounds an interesting stop thanks.
    I've got the Mrs that likes shops and touristy stuff and 12 yr old daughter that likes whatever girls like on holiday plus our 2 dogs so as long as they are entertained I'm just happy to be along for the ride, though we all like historical places .

11. golly

golly Funster

If you want to visit Durham City (cathedral is world heritage site) the park and rides have dedicated Motorhome parking (not overnight). Don't forget about beamish museum, worth a visit, large car parks.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Kelsae2

Kelsae2 Funster Life Member

There is a good Park & Ride site just off the A1 for going in to Durham if you don't want to take the van in.
    Charlie

• Like Like x 1
  13. lorger

lorger Funster

If your planning on staying in Edinburgh and would like a lovely wild camping spot not far from City let me know

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. big bertha

big bertha Funster

Are you sending him to the honest toun Gerry;)

15. Viennese

Viennese Funster

If you are going soon (before mid September), try Bishop Auckland and see Kynren - should be good!

• Like Like x 1
  16. autoswan

autoswan Funster

Looks like an english version of PUY DU FOU in France if its half as good it should be great thanks, Il check when it starts probably be up that way next week.

17. autoswan

autoswan Funster

Thanks Lorger that could be handy as ive not looked for a site near there yet (y) probably want to bus or train into centre dont think much parking for MH unless can get up Arthurs seat ! :D

18. Viennese

Viennese Funster

A very small version of Puy du Fou which we visited recently. However, their performers and animals went to Puy Du Fou to get trained...

• Like Like x 1
  19. Rapido925M

Rapido925M Funster

I forgot to say that last August I walked round the coast from Seaburn (just north of Sunderland, with the National Glass Museum) to Souter Lighthouse (NT) on a lovely sunny day and it matched many a coastal walk in much more renowned areas. My SIL was expecting slag heaps and back-to-back houses: he was very pleasantly surprised. We could have continued all the way to South Shields and enjoyed that.

You could cross the river (Tunnel) and turn east to visit Jarrow, North Shields, Tynemouth, Cullercoats, Whitley Bay, and stay at CC Old Hartley, with views to nearby St Mary's lighthouse.

Not sure about your timings: I used to love "travelling" but in June we did Northumbria (not Yorkshire!) and it took us 8days excluding the 200miles each way at the start and end. We also failed to visit many attractions, including Holy Island because the tide was just about to close the causeway (got to get that right!).

You also should allow at least 3 days for your wife to visit the Metro centre! There is plenty of free parking ;)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. autoswan

autoswan Funster

Just booked a night in lady Hayes site up past Chester on route to a cc site near York for 2 nights plus another cc near Scarborough probably head upto Alnwick after that maybe another further up east coast Berwick on tweed ? before Edinburgh for couple of nights then Stirling and if time sky with stop at Eileen donnan been up there quite a few times over the years but last time further north of Glasgow and Edinburgh was about 14 years ago. So hope to find some great new places on route before long track back down with some stops including the lake district on the way home.
    A lot to cram in 2 weeks I know but if it goes into 3 no bother as long as our girl gets to school by 8.30am sometime the beginning of September.:whistle: