Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
We plan to do a bit of UK this year as we don't have as much time as usual.
Rough guide Swansea to York with a stop on route for a night, anywhere you like ? After York and any good parts in that neck of the woods ?
Do a loop in and up dodging Newcastle, sunderland and big city parts then back to east coast further up any good spots on way or up there ?
Over border around to Edinburgh then Stirling and sky if time over roughly 2 week trip then down the west side back homeward bound.

Never done the east side of England so any tips or good spots be appreciated thanks. Jack(y)

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Lovely sites Northumberland, Beadnell Bay a club site or cl's Annsteed farm, Fowberry farm or try South Meadows in the village of Belford my new home soon.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Please, all of you, stop saying how lovely it is - it's rubbish up there, we all know that. Think how awful it would be if LOADS of people went there and were disappointed with it...

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
From York up A19.
Nearest you will get to the northeast coastal cities (Sunderland, Newcastle, Gateshead etc) will be the Tyne Tunnel, then divert/wander/explore anywhere from there onwards.
Tyne Tunnel toll is around £1:30.....or a long way around Newcastle costing much more in fuel.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
It depends what floats your boat: N Yorks moors has excellent steam railway, lovely seaside resorts (inc Scarboro, with marine parade, peasholm park; Whitby; Sandsend; Staithes; (try Skinningrove for "off beaten track?) Saltburn; Redcar (vertical pier?)

Hartlepool marina and historic docks are worth investigating; Crimdon Dene; Blackhall; Seaham are all much improved Durham seasides with easy, free parking.

And why would you not visit Durham City?

We exited Tyne Tunnel and soon turned eastwards to visit Newbiggin by the Sea (free parking by museum) then little coast road from Lynemouth to Cresswell, Amble (lovely Britstop - no 766; park on quayside for good views at 50p per hour), Warkworth castle. Free parking by coast at Beadnell, cheap parking in Seahouses (1st hour free), free parking at Bamburgh (THE best castle in the world?), excellent Britstop (no 768) only a few miles away.

IF you prefer inland activities, don't miss Wallington (Nat Trust), Cragside (Nat Trust), Alnwick Garden (take out fresh mortgage/bank loan?). Or why not experience Kielder Forest (£4.50 for all day parking transferable amongst all carparks)?

Don't forget that Hawick has a free camperstop.

Enjoy - Gordon

Last edited:
OP
OP
autoswan

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
Please, all of you, stop saying how lovely it is - it's rubbish up there, we all know that. Think how awful it would be if LOADS of people went there and were disappointed with it...

Hahaha I say the same about my Gower peninsular ! Nothing to see here stay away or you may never want to leave ! :D

OP
OP
autoswan

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
From York up A19.
Nearest you will get to the northeast coastal cities (Sunderland, Newcastle, Gateshead etc) will be the Tyne Tunnel, then divert/wander/explore anywhere from there onwards.
Tyne Tunnel toll is around £1:30.....or a long way around Newcastle costing much more in fuel.

Thanks looking at map I saw Newcastle and sunderland and thought congested roads and a maze through the cities but if i can hug the coast and pass them by on the east side will do .
The tunnel i assume is plenty high enough for mh and lorries so sounds good and saving juice is always welcome. (n)

OP
OP
autoswan

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
It depends what floats your boat: N Yorks moors has excellent steam railway, lovely seaside resorts (inc Scarboro, with marine parade, peasholm park; Whitby; Sandsend; Staithes; (try Skinningrove for "off beaten track?) Saltburn; Redcar (vertical pier?)

Hartlepool marina and historic docks are worth investigating;
Crimdon Dene; Blackhall; Seaham are all much improved Durham seasides with easy, free parking.

And why would you not visit Durham City?

We exited Tyne Tunnel and soon turned eastwards to visit Newbiggin by the Sea (free parking by museum) then little coast road from Lynemouth to Cresswell, Amble (lovely Britstop - no 766; park on quayside for good views at 50p per hour), Warkworth castle. Free parking by coast at Beadnell, cheap parking in Seahouses (1st hour free), free parking at Bamburgh (THE best castle in the world?), excellent Britstop (no 768) only a few miles away.

IF you prefer inland activities, don't miss Wallington (Nat Trust), Cragside (Nat Trust), Alnwick Garden (take out fresh mortgage/bank loan?). Or why not experience Kielder Forest (£4.50 for all day parking transferable amongst all carparks)?

Don't forget that Hawick has a free camperstop.

Enjoy - Gordon

Thanks for the info great stuff. I never thought of Durham but if it along the route and time allows it sounds an interesting stop thanks.
I've got the Mrs that likes shops and touristy stuff and 12 yr old daughter that likes whatever girls like on holiday plus our 2 dogs so as long as they are entertained I'm just happy to be along for the ride, though we all like historical places .

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
If you want to visit Durham City (cathedral is world heritage site) the park and rides have dedicated Motorhome parking (not overnight). Don't forget about beamish museum, worth a visit, large car parks.

Kelsae2

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 9, 2011
kelso,scottish borders
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
There is a good Park & Ride site just off the A1 for going in to Durham if you don't want to take the van in.
Charlie

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
If your planning on staying in Edinburgh and would like a lovely wild camping spot not far from City let me know

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
If you are going soon (before mid September), try Bishop Auckland and see Kynren - should be good!

OP
OP
autoswan

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
If you are going soon (before mid September), try Bishop Auckland and see Kynren - should be good!

Looks like an english version of PUY DU FOU in France if its half as good it should be great thanks, Il check when it starts probably be up that way next week.

OP
OP
autoswan

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
If your planning on staying in Edinburgh and would like a lovely wild camping spot not far from City let me know

Thanks Lorger that could be handy as ive not looked for a site near there yet (y) probably want to bus or train into centre dont think much parking for MH unless can get up Arthurs seat ! :D

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Looks like an english version of PUY DU FOU in France if its half as good it should be great thanks, Il check when it starts probably be up that way next week.
A very small version of Puy du Fou which we visited recently. However, their performers and animals went to Puy Du Fou to get trained...

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
I forgot to say that last August I walked round the coast from Seaburn (just north of Sunderland, with the National Glass Museum) to Souter Lighthouse (NT) on a lovely sunny day and it matched many a coastal walk in much more renowned areas. My SIL was expecting slag heaps and back-to-back houses: he was very pleasantly surprised. We could have continued all the way to South Shields and enjoyed that.

You could cross the river (Tunnel) and turn east to visit Jarrow, North Shields, Tynemouth, Cullercoats, Whitley Bay, and stay at CC Old Hartley, with views to nearby St Mary's lighthouse.

Not sure about your timings: I used to love "travelling" but in June we did Northumbria (not Yorkshire!) and it took us 8days excluding the 200miles each way at the start and end. We also failed to visit many attractions, including Holy Island because the tide was just about to close the causeway (got to get that right!).

You also should allow at least 3 days for your wife to visit the Metro centre! There is plenty of free parking ;)

OP
OP
autoswan

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
Just booked a night in lady Hayes site up past Chester on route to a cc site near York for 2 nights plus another cc near Scarborough probably head upto Alnwick after that maybe another further up east coast Berwick on tweed ? before Edinburgh for couple of nights then Stirling and if time sky with stop at Eileen donnan been up there quite a few times over the years but last time further north of Glasgow and Edinburgh was about 14 years ago. So hope to find some great new places on route before long track back down with some stops including the lake district on the way home.
A lot to cram in 2 weeks I know but if it goes into 3 no bother as long as our girl gets to school by 8.30am sometime the beginning of September.:whistle:

Kelsae2

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 9, 2011
kelso,scottish borders
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
There is a small 5 van site just off the A1 at Alnwick. It has hard standing, electric and toilet empty point only, but is handily placed as there is a pub/restaurant, MacDonalds & Sainsburys nearby if you need any of them. The owners of the site are very friendly people.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks looking at map I saw Newcastle and sunderland and thought congested roads and a maze through the cities but if i can hug the coast and pass them by on the east side will do .
The tunnel i assume is plenty high enough for mh and lorries so sounds good and saving juice is always welcome. (n)
Just stay on the A19 all the way.
Not much to see between middlesboro and Newcastle even on the coast.
The tunnel is two lanes wide each way in separate tunnels and plenty big enough for the tallest trucks.
Only takes a couple of minutes to pass through....a steep drive down then back up.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The Forth road bridge at Edinburgh can be very congested at peak times.
Allow a good half hour queuing time.
You could go round but it's a long way.

Kelsae2

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 9, 2011
kelso,scottish borders
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Before you even get near the Forth Bridge you have to watch the Edinburgh bypass which can get busy at certain times, especially the approach to the Sheriffhall roundabout. The approach road to the Forth Bridge and the road as far as after the Dunfermline turnoff is speed restricted to 40 just now while all the roads are being changed and upgraded for the new bridge. It will slow you up quite a bit if you get caught up in it.

OP
OP
autoswan

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
So the forth bridge and bypass are as we approach Edinburgh from the east yes ? I was thinking of stopping at Musselburgh and getting train or bus in to city is that worth doing or is there somewhere motorhomes can park easily in Edinburgh ?

Kelsae2

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 9, 2011
kelso,scottish borders
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Yep you are coming in on the east side. The park & ride at Kinnaird Park is the nearest without having to go near Sheriffhall roundabout.It was 50p for the day the last time we used it, then you get the small train in to Waverly station which takes 8 - 10 minutes & that is you in to the heart of Edinburgh without any hassles. If you find suitable parking in Musselburgh there are plenty buses going to Edinburgh & back.

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
If looking for park and ride just outside Musselburgh at Newcraighall don't get confused with Musselburgh Station definitely no room for MH parking and I've had to direct people before who have ended up in our estate. If parked at harbour there are plenty buses into Edinburgh or 15 to 20 minutes walk up to Musselburgh station by Queen Margaret Uni.

OP
OP
autoswan

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
After nice scenic drive up through mid Wales Tuesday a 5 hour run with a few stops on the way we arrived at lady heyes camp site in frodsham near Runcorn good enough for a night stop over , then onto York nightmare m60 m62 took hours to get a few miles never going that way again ! It must drive those that use it most days around the bend ?

Nice cc club site here in beechwood grange very nice site, parked looking over countryside with good park for kids and one of the better dog walks I've seen on a cc site, York centre was great to visit got taxi in and back to dodge the bus head work or parking, nice cathedral but seen so many here and over the Channel a bit of seen one you seen em all setting in. Castle was a small tower on a small mound a bit dissapointing but then there are some walls around the town I suppose. The museum was ok with interesting dimly lit Victorian streets with shops etc inside.

So a long days walking around especially with 2 females and loads of shops from the off when dropped of at the shambles, glad to be back to mh for a chill out before Scarborough tomorrow.

OP
OP
autoswan

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
Did scarborough nightmare for parking so dropped the girls on the sea front and parked up the hill , went for nice walk with the dogs along coast away from the tourists which was nice then picked up the girls later. Then headed to a nice site yorkshire moors cc did the park and ride into whitby which was easy and reasonably priced family return £5. the fish n chips were very good in harbour resteraunt as mentioned on fun. nice town and abbey. Shot up coast to a cl here in Alnwick at the moment greensfield moor farm very neat n tidy, with lovely view over the countryside.will do the castle etc in morning before we head up to Berwick upon Tweed.

OP
OP
autoswan

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
There is a small 5 van site just off the A1 at Alnwick. It has hard standing, electric and toilet empty point only, but is handily placed as there is a pub/restaurant, MacDonalds & Sainsburys nearby if you need any of them. The owners of the site are very friendly people.

I think we may be on that site now it fits your description , thanks

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back